U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:42 PM

17 posts, read 12,281 times

Advertisements

Dont get the big deal some animals are food animals some are clothing animals, and cows cows are both
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 11:13 PM

5,492 posts, read 4,585,821 times
I was going to say I bet a lot of these anti fir folk don't even know where their food comes from .
Or their shoes or belts even some hats and books.
Even fake leather represents leather for it feel and some durability. though it really is not as durable.
And yes I wear leather often especially in foul weather, riding a motorcycle.
It's already proven that some plastics are not healthy for food or clothing so that leaves paper. bt then you got trees being sacrificed for that industry . I suppose you could wear rocks or metal .
There you go sheet metal pants . Better do it before the robots get it all.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:56 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,871,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I was going to say I bet a lot of these anti fir folk don't even know where their food comes from .
Of course some don't, thus the importance of education. It is not "a lot," however.

Indeed, it is the "pro"-fur people who know nothing about anything at all. For this reason, they cannot posit real arguments and simply attack on specious grounds. Lots of scientific research describes the adverse impact of out-of-control animal breeding on the environment. One would think that someone defending fur would respond to the actual objections, humane, environmental, etc. But they cannot and therefore do not. The "freedom" arguments are the stupidest. Yes, I do realize that giving people enough rope to hang themselves means that they definitely will. How often this is demonstrated every day.

People themselves need to take responsibility. Everything anyone purchases or uses advocates a set of procedures and reinforces related underlying values. I may not agree with all decisions, but I am vastly more judgmental about passivity, people who do not even bother to consider the things at stake.

For most, it is easier to turn on that television or turn up the music blaring through the earphones.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Even fake leather represents leather for it feel and some durability. though it really is not as durable.
Untrue. Depends on quality. The challenge is that many of the quality products are quite costly given that they are not widely purchased.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:38 AM

5,754 posts, read 5,226,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I ask that cause it may make you a target. If you are riding the train past the "hood" eyes may be on you since everyday folks can't afford to wear furs daily.

See even though I don't condone wearing fur I still care about the OP well being.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycvix View Post
I am lost for words, ( well not literally ) to suggest that going into the "hood" may have eyes upon you because they can't afford to wear fur is insane and quite frankly arrogant!
So because people live in the "hood" as you call it they automatically have no morals? No beliefs?
They will surely only be looking at you because you're wearing fur, could not surely be because they are as disgusted as the next human being?
I meant it in a way to say the OP wouldn't fit in. If they are wearing a long white fur on the train the will stick out period. And then if the train passes thru some not so desirable neighborhoods they will really stick out. And yes people will look at them and eyes will be on them. Coming home late at night or early am after a night out would simply not be smart and would make them more of a target.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:58 AM

470 posts, read 748,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Untrue. Depends on quality. The challenge is that many of the quality products are quite costly given that they are not widely purchased.
If I'm reading your post correctly, I think you've got that backwards. They aren't widely purchased because they are quite costly. I think most people would prefer the highest quality products, but most people can't afford them.

Regarding leather, the best leather is limited in quantity, so it's much more expensive. You also have to consider the size of the pieces of top quality leather--you don't want any defects in your leather, but leather comes from a living creature, and will naturally have some defects in it. If you want a big piece of leather, it's harder to find one without any defects.

Lower quality leather products tend to have a lot of smaller pieces stitched together. One of the hallmarks of a good leather shoe or jacket is having fewer stitches and seams. But, since the leather used for making those products is in limited supply, it will cost a lot more.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:25 AM

148 posts, read 210,708 times
But surely the point I am making is clear? To suggest that "hood" people will be attracted to a dead animal on someone's back is somewhat ignorant no? Maybe I am looking at this wrong but it just seems to me that if somebody is out for trouble it will happen irrespective of you wearing fur or not no?

Old 07-11-2013, 10:25 AM

5,473 posts, read 9,233,397 times
Would it be possible to find a second hand fur for $150? The winter is soon here.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
If I'm reading your post correctly, I think you've got that backwards. They aren't widely purchased because they are quite costly. I think most people would prefer the highest quality products, but most people can't afford them.
No, I do not have it backward. Things sold as "vegan" enjoy a very low demand, basically "boutique"-type manufacturing. They are thus expensive - small runs, little investment in finding ways to mass-produce these more responsible items.

The same applies to food production and to "green" housing solutions.

This is certainly within the realm of common sense, but there is also a lot of writing about it - especially as regards "green" building.

Regarding quality. There is more profiteering in encouraging buy-buy-buy, so why promote quality items that last longer ? As are produced in Switzerland or Germany, for example. These products are more expensive, but how much more, once you factor in the relative life of the item ?

Developing strategies for producing items that cost twice as much initially but last five times longer will probably never happen in America. Too much money to be made from the junk and garbage of instant gratification.

Funny to watch how people consume the myth that consuming itself, and lots of it, makes them superior people. Consumption as central life activity worn as a badge. Sad, the waste of human potential.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycvix View Post
But surely the point I am making is clear? To suggest that "hood" people will be attracted to a dead animal on someone's back is somewhat ignorant no? Maybe I am looking at this wrong but it just seems to me that if somebody is out for trouble it will happen irrespective of you wearing fur or not no?
I think to suggest that there is a necessary connection is truly ignorant - yes. I can state as a fact from experience that this is not the case.

Regarding "out for trouble" - in Harlem, winter, usually on 125th Street, teenagers mug other teenagers for their "North Face" coats every day. Why not fur.

But I think they may have realized that the people with real money would never, at this point, wear fur. Anti-fur has certainly become a kind of status symbol, and one that, if embraced for the wrong reasons sometimes, is not the worst thing in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or