Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 PM

421 posts, read 749,562 times

Advertisements

How is the Lower East side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 05:22 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
I suggest Long Island City, Queens as it is close enough to the price range mentioned.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:36 AM

148 posts, read 271,290 times
Watch the warriors!! I did have to laugh,it's one of my favourite films!! Wouldn't stop me from wanting to visit

Old 07-10-2013, 08:23 AM

506 posts, read 1,011,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
How is the Lower East side?
Safe, close to tourist attractions. You'll be fine there. I have stayed in the Holiday Inn on Delancey St before and it is nice.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:07 PM

273 posts, read 672,666 times
To sum up -

Affordable areas for hotels
LIC - Queens Plaza Area (also called Dutch Kills) in Queens
Also, the hotels right near LaGuardia Airport are fine in East Elmhurst and they have shuttle buses to the subway. Only drawback is they are further away than LIC - it would be similar to staying in Jersey with the commute time.

I am unsure about Brooklyn as the hotels I have seen in decent neighborhoods are out of your range. You could try a bed and breakfast in the historic district of Bed-Stuy which has great brownstones for blocks. The only drawback is it is a little far from the city and there are some rough patches in Bed Sty still. An area a little closer that may have bed and breakfasts is Clinton Hill very attractive area with brownstones as you would find in Bed Sty and mostly quiet area.

As for the Bronx, you could try Mi Casa Tu Casa bed and breakfast in a safe spot in the South Bronx. Per new York Times has gotten good reviews.

In New Jersey -

W Hotel in Hoboken is excellent and they may have some specials

Jersey City, any hotels will be downtown or near Grove Street

Also consider Secaucus and Lyndhurst as they have public transportation to NYC if you wish to save. For the Lyndhurst location, if you are into this, there is the only Medieval Times in all of NYC right near the hotels and the town of Rutherford a cab ride away is quite lovely with large, beautiful homes along Ridge Road. Secaucus Hotels tend to be near highways and malls. So though a little sterile you have access to restaurants and a multiplex theater. So that could be a very good option too. It all depends how quickly you want to access tourist sites.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:18 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,248,929 times
Mi Casa Tu Casa is run by a nice hispanic family. The owners have a cat...very nice. I think its expensive. Melrose section.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 07-14-2013 at 01:34 AM..

Old 07-14-2013, 09:07 AM

10 posts, read 12,932 times
Just stay in Manhattan and don't leave! Assuming your a tourist from a suburban area I would stay out of The Bronx. Trust me I'm from The Bronx. Tourists stay away! My fellow New Yorkers and especially Bronxites back me up on this one. I recommend you also stay out of Brooklyn and even Queens for a tourist. Don't go to NJ because that's kind of dumb because now you're on the other side of the hudson. Stay in Manhattan and you will be better off. Please don't take offense to me saying your a suburban tourist and enjoy your stay in the greatest city in the world!

Old 07-14-2013, 01:35 PM

749 posts, read 920,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
Right now, we are booked in the Mount Eden Parkway, Bronx, NY area. I heard this zip code was bad, but it honestly looked fine judging by the google maps. Apparently people are saying it's a dangerous slum, so we were looking for alternatives.

STAY away from the Bronx......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City