Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 04:32 PM

118 posts, read 193,689 times

Advertisements

Moved to Philly from DC a bit ago for a job. Really like the position, and it pays well. Problem is I'm not a big fan of Philly nightlife or its people. A little too Hood and working class for me. I'm recently single and would much prefer to date, go out and have fun in NY on the weekends. I have old friends in NY, Baltimore and DC, but none in Philly.

The one great thing about Philly is the affordable rent. I have a really nice apt in Center City, high ceilings, brand new, floor to ceiling windows, granite and stainless for $2000 per month! Crazy cheap compared to the rest of the East Coast, save maybe Baltimore.

I'd like to stay in my current philly home weekdays. Not a bad city to work during the week. Far less stressful than NY. However, it would be nice to maybe start building a life in NY, in anticipation of slowly finding an opportunity there and relocate. No rush though.

How difficult would it be to find a weekend only rental/ roommate situation in the City? Any suggestions as to where to look? Typical prices for such an arrangement?

It doesn't have to be a great place or large. I already have that in Philly. Just a crash pad I guess. Thinking maybe Upper E Side, Murray Hill, LES, downtown, BK, or Astoria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 05:23 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyw90 View Post
How difficult would it be to find a weekend only rental/ roommate situation in the City? Any suggestions as to where to look? Typical prices for such an arrangement?
Such places exist on Craigslist—usually people who have country homes upstate. However, they tend to be 40-somethings who live in nice apartments so they’re not cheap. Not terribly common, but they’re around.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:45 PM

118 posts, read 193,689 times
Great, thanks for the input!

Old 07-10-2013, 09:39 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Here's a place for you Part-time long term room, 22+ days a month

Old 07-11-2013, 07:06 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
I was in Philly briefly last summer. Mostly was around downtown area. I had a more touristy experience but for the brief time I was there nightlife didn't seem so bad.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:13 PM

273 posts, read 672,517 times
I would also consider a little bit of New Jersey - say Journal Square, Grove Street area or downtown Jersey City. Of the three downtwon JC will be the most expensive but less than a good deal of NYC (this include Astoria and "Brooklyn"). Another option could be Newark's Ironbound. If you have a car then many more options open up where you could drive to the PATH or NJ transit and hang in NYC. If you want to be in NYC then read below.

I think you need to spend weekends exploring NYC in depth before moving. Why not pay for a tour done by the Municipal Art Society? Excellent tours of neighborhoods throughout NYC though the emphasis will be more the boroughs of Brooklyn and Manhattan, and some parts of Queens. For Queens, try an eating tour of Jackson Heights and Elmhurst or travel to 74th Street stop on the E, get off the first stop in Queens on the 7 to tour the riverfront and make your way Queens Plaza to grab the N. Off the N stop off anywhere off the stations from 36th Ave to Ditmars - you will need a few trips as there is much to see and place to eat and drink. Sunnyside off 46th Street on 7 and enjoy the historic district and a few Irish pubs, you could walk or take the 7 to Jackson Heights. For a more semi-suburban feel take the E or F to Forest Hills check out the train station area and Austin street and gawk at the Tudor influenced mansions at Forest Hills Gardens.

Can any one add suggested walks for Bronx? I did a great walk to Bronx Community College from Burnside Ave stop on the 4 in the University Heights area. Many attractive pre-war apartment buildings with some modest houses. The campus of Bronx Community College has some astounding architecture and the food on West Burnside is interesting - Ghanian and Latin American restaurants.

Last edited by astroia 34567; 07-11-2013 at 01:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City