U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2013, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
506 posts, read 840,468 times
Reputation: 251

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I recommend either Manhattan [if you have the money], or Western Queens like Astoria or Sunnyside. West Brooklyn has some really good options too, like Midwood.
Lol Midwood is west Brooklyn? Also while it's a nice neighborhood I think it's pretty much the opposite of what the OP described he was looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2013, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Glendale NY
4,841 posts, read 7,868,226 times
Reputation: 3503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Lol Midwood is west Brooklyn? Also while it's a nice neighborhood I think it's pretty much the opposite of what the OP described he was looking for.
I though anywhere west of Flatbush Avenue is "West Brooklyn"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 03:48 PM
 
10,626 posts, read 20,759,553 times
Reputation: 8155
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisnotkee View Post
Hi, I would like to know which borough would suit me better?
I know Staten Island is pretty isolated. The Bronx has a higher crime rate than the other boroughs. I think I'm just trying to decide between Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens. I would love to have you guys' opinions on each of the boroughs. Thanks.

I prefer high density places, like I like everything crammed together & building up, like you can walk out of your apartment (another thing, I prefer apartments rather than houses) & see tons of restaurants, shops. I like crowded areas, anytime of the day & night.
I don't want to drive a vehicle; I would be much more willing to take public transportation.
I'm more into foods, cultures, attractions, shopping, nightlife, etc. as opposed to history, architectures, etc.
I'm very ambitious, open-minded and a liberal person.
I'm a fast-paced person and like experiencing and trying new things.
I would also like to go into business and finance.
I have no interest in any aspect of suburban life.
Think about Manhattan, but think more about how you are going to be able to afford it. Unless you are the child of wealthy parents who want to share the wealth, at 19 I really don't know how you will begin to afford the rent. Even roommate situations are going to run you $1500 and up for a room, and you would have to convince the landlord that you can actually afford that, either by earning a large salary (40x the monthly rent per year) or by having a guarantor who lives in the NYC area and makes 80x the monthly rent per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
506 posts, read 840,468 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Think about Manhattan, but think more about how you are going to be able to afford it. Unless you are the child of wealthy parents who want to share the wealth, at 19 I really don't know how you will begin to afford the rent. Even roommate situations are going to run you $1500 and up for a room, and you would have to convince the landlord that you can actually afford that, either by earning a large salary (40x the monthly rent per year) or by having a guarantor who lives in the NYC area and makes 80x the monthly rent per year.
You can definitely live in Manhattan for less than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 04:02 PM
 
10,626 posts, read 20,759,553 times
Reputation: 8155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
You can definitely live in Manhattan for less than that.
So what do you think is a reasonable price to tell someone they will need to pay for a roommate situation in Manhattan neighborhoods like the ones he seems to be describing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
506 posts, read 840,468 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
So what do you think is a reasonable price to tell someone they will need to pay for a roommate situation in Manhattan neighborhoods like the ones he seems to be describing?
Obviously he might have to settle for something less than ideal but I think he could definitely do something in the Upper East or West Side, Alphabet City or Chinatown for not much more than $1000. Granted the apartment would be pretty low quality, but you get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,895,215 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Obviously he might have to settle for something less than ideal but I think he could definitely do something in the Upper East or West Side, Alphabet City or Chinatown for not much more than $1000. Granted the apartment would be pretty low quality, but you get what you pay for.
A $1000 for the UES or UWS??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 05:14 PM
 
9,945 posts, read 7,702,682 times
Reputation: 4702
If manhattan isnt an option, I'd think that this person would rather be in bklyn or qns than the UES or UES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 05:46 PM
 
791 posts, read 1,211,912 times
Reputation: 517
No question. The Bronx. Best value. Pick the right neighborhood and you will not have to worry about crime.

You couldn't pay me to live in effing Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Long Island City, NY
37 posts, read 68,073 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
A $1000 for the UES or UWS??
Upper east side far from the train, high level walk-up with 3 or 4 roommates? I'm sure $1000-$1200 might be doable.

This is not upper west side, but on the west side:
I have a friend that lives in the 50s on 10th and her rent just went up to around $1200/month with two roommates in a pretty spacious 3bdrm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top