U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 08:28 PM

506 posts, read 840,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
A $1000 for the UES or UWS??
Sure... there are plenty of places like this where you could share a small 2BR with another person: StreetEasy: 1741 First Ave. - Rental Apartment Rental in Yorkville, Manhattan

The Upper East Side is one of, if not the cheapest neighborhood below Harlem in Manhattan for rent. When I first moved to the city I stayed in a pretty decent size place up there and didn't pay much more than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 08:46 PM

470 posts, read 745,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Sure... there are plenty of places like this where you could share a small 2BR with another person: StreetEasy: 1741 First Ave. - Rental Apartment Rental in Yorkville, Manhattan

The Upper East Side is one of, if not the cheapest neighborhood below Harlem in Manhattan for rent. When I first moved to the city I stayed in a pretty decent size place up there and didn't pay much more than that.
Yorkville has some relatively cheap apartments for rent, but that's about it when talking about UES being cheap. It's primarily just the eastern side of Yorkville that is cheap, and those apartments tend to be small walk-ups. I'm sure there are some steals there, but that doesn't really justify calling the entire UES one of the cheapest neighborhoods south of Harlem. I mean, maybe it is, but that's only because rents everywhere else in lower Manhattan have skyrocketed so much.

If you consider the actual value of all real estate then there's no way the UES is one of the cheapest. I figure all the stuff west of 3rd Ave more than makes up for the eastern part of the neighborhood, which is still quite expensive.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would choose to rent even the cheaper UES apartments when they could get so much more if they just moved just across the East River to western Queens. The only valid reason for doing that, I think, is if you actually work in the UES. But even then, the commute is not bad at all from Queens.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:39 PM

506 posts, read 840,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
Yorkville has some relatively cheap apartments for rent, but that's about it when talking about UES being cheap. It's primarily just the eastern side of Yorkville that is cheap, and those apartments tend to be small walk-ups. I'm sure there are some steals there, but that doesn't really justify calling the entire UES one of the cheapest neighborhoods south of Harlem. I mean, maybe it is, but that's only because rents everywhere else in lower Manhattan have skyrocketed so much.

If you consider the actual value of all real estate then there's no way the UES is one of the cheapest. I figure all the stuff west of 3rd Ave more than makes up for the eastern part of the neighborhood, which is still quite expensive.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would choose to rent even the cheaper UES apartments when they could get so much more if they just moved just across the East River to western Queens. The only valid reason for doing that, I think, is if you actually work in the UES. But even then, the commute is not bad at all from Queens.
Obviously much of UES is very, very expensive, and it's still not cheap compared to other areas outside Manhattan, but I still maintain that as a whole it is one of the more affordable neighborhoods, and this study which came out last month seems to support that: http://www.mns.com/manhattan_rental_market_report

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 07-11-2013 at 09:48 PM..

Old 07-13-2013, 02:03 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,516,101 times
Washington Heights

Old 07-14-2013, 09:42 AM

20,162 posts, read 26,460,446 times
Anyone who can afford Manhattan chooses Manhattan.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:11 AM

4,911 posts, read 6,825,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
There are more people than you can possibly imagine whom you couldn't pay to live in manhattan. Be careful in that little bubble of yours...

Old 07-14-2013, 06:30 PM

20,168 posts, read 21,767,856 times
You will need more details like what you meed to commute to, what kind of things you like to be around, what a tolerable commute is, what your tolerance for crime and garbage is, and your budget. Otherwise, it's pretty hard to figure on anything.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:29 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,232,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisnotkee View Post
Hi, I would like to know which borough would suit me better?
I know Staten Island is pretty isolated. The Bronx has a higher crime rate than the other boroughs. I think I'm just trying to decide between Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens. I would love to have you guys' opinions on each of the boroughs. Thanks.

I prefer high density places, like I like everything crammed together & building up, like you can walk out of your apartment (another thing, I prefer apartments rather than houses) & see tons of restaurants, shops. I like crowded areas, anytime of the day & night.
I don't want to drive a vehicle; I would be much more willing to take public transportation.
I'm more into foods, cultures, attractions, shopping, nightlife, etc. as opposed to history, architectures, etc.
I'm very ambitious, open-minded and a liberal person.
I'm a fast-paced person and like experiencing and trying new things.
I would also like to go into business and finance.
I have no interest in any aspect of suburban life.
Brooklyn or Manhattan, but if I were you, Manhattan. Just hope you can afford the rent.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:26 PM

9,945 posts, read 7,706,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Maybe south of 59th st. North of that many would go with parts of Brooklyn these days.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:44 AM

917 posts, read 1,704,113 times
I would rather live in the other boroughs other than Manhattan. Everything is more expensive there, not just the rent, but also the food, groceries, etc.

Anyway if OP is gonna have 3 or 4 roommates, he should live in the outer boroughs and then he may not need so many roommates. JMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City