U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:09 PM
 
1 posts, read 9,691 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Is a landlord allow to refuse checks and money orders & require you to pay in cash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,893,670 times
Reputation: 300
They can refuse to accept checks if they think they may bounce, but I've never heard of landlords refusing to accept money orders. Money orders have to be paid for in CASH so there's no risk involved like with checks. I would stay away from any landlord that insists on you paying with cash only. I think you can figure out why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
1,746 posts, read 3,421,135 times
Reputation: 2525
Checks can bounce and money orders can be faked. However, if you've got good credit and you haven't shafted your LL in the past then its a little shady they won't accept a check. I pay my maintenance via an online payment taken directly from my bank account -- but there is a paper trail.

If you think the landlord is honest then I'd demand a receipt for a cash payment stating that its a rent payment. If the landlord refuses to give you one, then that person is most certainly shady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
7,846 posts, read 10,251,518 times
Reputation: 9176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
They can refuse to accept checks if they think they may bounce, but I've never heard of landlords refusing to accept money orders. Money orders have to be paid for in CASH so there's no risk involved like with checks. I would stay away from any landlord that insists on you paying with cash only. I think you can figure out why.
Yes and no. Not all money orders must be purchased in cash. If you go to a bank to buy a money order you are not forced to buy it with cash. I believe you can also go to Western Union and use your debit card to buy a money order.

A money order or bank check is a negotiable instrument like a checking account check and you can put stop payments on them. That's probably why this LL doesn't want a money order--probably worried a tenant will put a stop payment if there's an issue with the apartment. He may also not want to wait for the money order to clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,893,670 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Checks can bounce and money orders can be faked. However, if you've got good credit and you haven't shafted your LL in the past then its a little shady they won't accept a check. I pay my maintenance via an online payment taken directly from my bank account -- but there is a paper trail.

If you think the landlord is honest then I'd demand a receipt for a cash payment stating that its a rent payment. If the landlord refuses to give you one, then that person is most certainly shady.
I mean hell cash can be faked too so the fake issue is less of the reason. People are more likely to bounce checks than try to pass off fake money orders and the landlord would be charged a fee for the bounced check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Not where I want to be
4,827 posts, read 6,929,752 times
Reputation: 7643
I wouldn't trust ANY landlord that says they will only take cash. Next thing you know, he'll refuse to give you receipts. Is the apartment even legal??? He's probably trying to hide the rental income from the IRS and NYS Taxation/Finance.


When I was much, much younger (about 30 years ago!), I rented a place from a guy who was the same way. Refused to take anything but cash because he didn't want a "paper trail" (his words). I had no one to help me, no family, no place to go so I really had no choice but to take the place. I was homeless at the time. He screwed me over after a few months. Decided he didn't like me and wanted me out. When I went to work, he took everything out of my place and got rid of it somewhere. When I called the cops, he claimed I never lived there and he didn't know who I was. I had absolutely nothing to prove that I lived there so the cops wouldn't do anything about it.

I wouldn't deal with ANYONE who demands cash-only payment. Even if he gave you a receipt it wouldn't mean anything because he could simply say he never wrote the receipt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Not where I want to be
4,827 posts, read 6,929,752 times
Reputation: 7643
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Yes and no. Not all money orders must be purchased in cash. If you go to a bank to buy a money order you are not forced to buy it with cash. I believe you can also go to Western Union and use your debit card to buy a money order.

A money order or bank check is a negotiable instrument like a checking account check and you can put stop payments on them. That's probably why this LL doesn't want a money order--probably worried a tenant will put a stop payment if there's an issue with the apartment. He may also not want to wait for the money order to clear.

Most banks won't let you buy a money order or bank check unless you have an account with them. Also, bank checks are $8 and money orders are $6 (possibly more).

A postal money order is $1.20. I think the Western Union ones are 99 cents.

A bank check, bank money order, or postal money order can be cashed immediately at the bank or post office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Plandome, NY
7,048 posts, read 7,618,141 times
Reputation: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Is the apartment even legal??? He's probably trying to hide the rental income from the IRS and NYS Taxation/Finance.
these are my two guesses why...and not THAT uncommon either.

I would ask for a written lease and signed receipt if you are ok with the cash arrangement. That should be sufficient protection imo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
7,846 posts, read 10,251,518 times
Reputation: 9176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Most banks won't let you buy a money order or bank check unless you have an account with them. Also, bank checks are $8 and money orders are $6 (possibly more).

A postal money order is $1.20. I think the Western Union ones are 99 cents.

A bank check, bank money order, or postal money order can be cashed immediately at the bank or post office. That depends on where he banks. If he banks with Chase and brings a TD Bank money order, they might hold funds against his account. There are different variables to this scenario.
That's why I disagreed that money orders had to be purchased in cash. The bank I work for does not require an account for money order purchases but there is a maximum amount. And yes, they're expensive as heck. If he's depositing the money orders or bank checks to his account he'll have to wait for them to clear depending on where he banks. It's a paper trail that this LL doesn't seem to want to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2013, 05:31 AM
 
30,325 posts, read 31,191,100 times
Reputation: 13995
I too agree that if a landlord will only take cash probably it is an illegal rental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top