U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2013, 06:09 PM
 
29 posts, read 29,808 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Hi,
I will be graduating next year with double majors and a minor. (Business, Communication, Marketing). I wanted to move to New York City or Chicago (I love Manhattan) . But I heard a lot of tough stories like its very expensive there and difficult to find a job, so some people recommend me to start in a smaller cities and then move. I understand it, but I can't wait for couple more years in order to move. I am foreigner (not Latino or African, I can speak 4 languages as my native and English, learning Spanish just for fun but been in US for a while, so how hard will be to find a job in Manhattan? How hard to live and where I should start looking for a place to live ? (i mean neighborhoods) as close as possible to Downtown (not ghetto). I know there are hundreds questions like this one in this forum, but I will really appreciate if you will take your time and respond to mine.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2013, 07:33 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,822,965 times
Reputation: 3000
If you want to do it you just need to try.
There are too many variables and too much happenstance to predict anything.
If you fail, leave.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Queens, New York City
470 posts, read 744,511 times
Reputation: 342
Do you have any work experience? Did you do any internships in college? If the answer is no, and you also do not have a lot of money saved up, then your chances are not very good. Finding an entry level job here is competitive, and the city is expensive, so it's risky to move here without a job lined up unless you have a lot of money to support yourself until you can find a job.

If you aren't too picky and are willing to work in food service or retail while you start out, then maybe it's doable, but you will be limited in where you can live. You won't have to live in a ghetto, but you won't be in Manhattan, that's for sure. You could rent a room in one of the cheaper but still safe neighborhoods in the city (there are several of them).

It will be challenging and there is a chance you will not be able to make it. If you're okay with that, or if you happen to have some real experience or a lot of money saved up, then you should give it a shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
506 posts, read 839,738 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
Do you have any work experience? Did you do any internships in college? If the answer is no, and you also do not have a lot of money saved up, then your chances are not very good. Finding an entry level job here is competitive, and the city is expensive, so it's risky to move here without a job lined up unless you have a lot of money to support yourself until you can find a job.

If you aren't too picky and are willing to work in food service or retail while you start out, then maybe it's doable, but you will be limited in where you can live. You won't have to live in a ghetto, but you won't be in Manhattan, that's for sure. You could rent a room in one of the cheaper but still safe neighborhoods in the city (there are several of them).

It will be challenging and there is a chance you will not be able to make it. If you're okay with that, or if you happen to have some real experience or a lot of money saved up, then you should give it a shot.
This is good advice. I'd probably not move here if you don't have a job lined up already, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Queens, New York City
470 posts, read 744,511 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
This is good advice. I'd probably not move here if you don't have a job lined up already, though.
Yeah, I wouldn't either. I'm way more risk-averse than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 08:34 PM
 
29 posts, read 29,808 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
Do you have any work experience? Did you do any internships in college? If the answer is no, and you also do not have a lot of money saved up, then your chances are not very good. Finding an entry level job here is competitive, and the city is expensive, so it's risky to move here without a job lined up unless you have a lot of money to support yourself until you can find a job.

If you aren't too picky and are willing to work in food service or retail while you start out, then maybe it's doable, but you will be limited in where you can live. You won't have to live in a ghetto, but you won't be in Manhattan, that's for sure. You could rent a room in one of the cheaper but still safe neighborhoods in the city (there are several of them).

It will be challenging and there is a chance you will not be able to make it. If you're okay with that, or if you happen to have some real experience or a lot of money saved up, then you should give it a shot.
Thanks for response, and advise, thats sounds like a common sense, but I know people who moving to city with just a dream and no plans, I think thats nuts. Of course I want to find a job first before moving, also I am not picky (but I will not clean bathrooms). I just wanted to know how hard is to find a job there and by the way, is NYC is bad as Chicago for having your own car ? is that expensive ? (parking etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
506 posts, read 839,738 times
Reputation: 251
I don't recommend bringing your car to the city if you are not prepared to spend a lot of money to keep it here. Street parking in Manhattan is virtually impossible and more trouble than it could ever be worth. Aside from finding a spot to park you'd constantly have to move it for street cleaning and worry about people bumping it. Garages here are very expensive. In Manhattan a spot in a garage will cost you nearly as much as rent in another city--my garage is $590 a month. I've seen them in other areas downtown for as low as $300 but that's still a lot for someone who apparently doesn't have a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2013, 05:35 AM
 
Location: Queens, New York City
470 posts, read 744,511 times
Reputation: 342
Well, he very likely won't be living in Manhattan.

I don't know other boroughs very well, but I know there are many neighborhoods in Queens where having a car is much easier. Places like Rego Park, Forest Hills, Middle Village, Ridgewood, Glendale, and Kew Gardens might be options if you really want to keep your car. It's also possible to live in these neighborhoods and be within easy walking distance of the subway, so getting to Manhattan or the other boroughs is still easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2013, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Plandome, NY
7,048 posts, read 7,618,141 times
Reputation: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
Well, he very likely won't be living in Manhattan.

I don't know other boroughs very well, but I know there are many neighborhoods in Queens where having a car is much easier. Places like Rego Park, Forest Hills, Middle Village, Ridgewood, Glendale, and Kew Gardens might be options if you really want to keep your car.
most of those areas are a pain in the neck to own a car. Half of queens is not idea for car ownership for most people imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2013, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Queens, New York City
470 posts, read 744,511 times
Reputation: 342
I think the best option is to just sell the car. It might be nice to have every now and then, but you really don't need a car in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top