U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:23 AM

6,909 posts, read 9,038,899 times

Advertisements

The prosecution could not present evidence to prove their case because the laws in Florida were written to give a lot of latitude to the shooter. They can and have proven that it was Zimmerman who instigated the confrontation but nobody can prove if someone really believed in the deepest corners of his/her conscience that he/she felt his/her life was in danger. That's Florida for you.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:26 AM

3,445 posts, read 4,830,789 times
If you want to discuss this case, start another thread. Im asking about possible civil disturbances in NYC.

Its happened before..will it happen this time. I think it will.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:26 AM

72 posts, read 83,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
The Zimmerman trial is ready to go to the jury this weekend. It is highly unlikely he will be convicted of anything as the charges were never proven.

I remember back in 1992 when the Rodney King cops were acquited in CA that a number of white co-workers were verbally assaulted and intimidated by blacks while riding on the subways.

Will this be happening again? Will whites be blamed if an Hispanic is acquited?

Is NYC preparing for possible civil disturbances or will it just be a Florida situation?
White people are going to continue being assaulted by black people until they remove their tail from between their legs... and quit allowing themselves to suffer from "white guilt".

Old 07-12-2013, 11:28 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,894,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The prosecution could not present evidence to prove their case because the laws in Florida were written to give a lot of latitude to the shooter. They can and have proven that it was Zimmerman who instigated the confrontation but nobody can prove if someone really believed in the deepest corners of his/her conscience that he/she felt his/her life was in danger. That's Florida for you.
He may actually get off for a few reasons. One being that he's a minority (a Hispanic) he could never have been so vicious as to kill someone due to race.

The other issue is the account of the neighbor. It seems as if the neighbor claims that the teenager was the aggressor and if the jury believes that then he may be able to walk. I find it odd that he instigated the whole thing by not following police orders and yet he may get a pass, but hey that's our society for you. If it were a White person that did this, it would be a different story.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
If you want to discuss this case, start another thread. Im asking about possible civil disturbances in NYC.

You were the one who brought up the case with this comment:

Quote:
If you listened to the trial you would see the prosecution didnt not present evidence to prove their case.
...which wasn't very honest becuase it omitted a CRUCIAL element in the interpretation of the law.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Its happened before..will it happen this time. I think it will.
I don't know if it will cause any issues here or not but if he walks I'm sure Black people will probably complain about how the system is against them. I do wonder how it will go here in NYC in terms of relations between Blacks and Hispanics. On the surface the media paints the two groups as being together because they're both minorities with a lot in common, but from what I have read and seen, there is indeed some dislike between the groups and racism that occurs from time to time here in NYC.

I do wonder how Blacks and Hispanics get along outside of NYC though? How are things in Florida? For example in California, I've heard of Mexicans killing Black people solely because they were Black and they called themselves "cleansing" the neighborhood and taking over for Hispanic people.

Even though some Hispanic people have Black mixture, historically Blacks have been seen as the lowest of the low in Latin culture (a trait brought by the Spanish) so that may explain some of the animosity.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
He may actually get off for a few reasons. One being that he's a minority (a Hispanic) he could never have been so vicious as to kill someone due to race.

The other issue is the account of the neighbor. It seems as if the neighbor claims that the teenager was the aggressor and if the jury believes that then he may be able to walk. I find it odd that he instigated the whole thing by not following police orders and yet he may get a pass, but hey that's our society for you. If it were a White person that did this, it would be a different story.
I actually think it's pretty straightforward. There's no way on earth to disprove Z's claim that he thought his life was in danger when he shot the boy. Therefore there is no way he can be found guilty. The outcome was plain and obvious even before the trial began. Florida's law is written that way even if it means someone innocent has to die for it.

OP appears to be gloating about the distorted way this law is written.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I actually think it's pretty straightforward. There's no way on earth to disprove Z's claim that he thought his life was in danger when he shot the boy. Therefore there is no way he can be guilty. The outcome was plain and obvious even before the trial began. Florida's law is written that way even if it means someone innocent has to die for it.

OP appears to be gloating about the distorted way this law is written.
But my question is how can someone claim self-defense if they provoked the situation? I don't see how someone can claim that if they instigated the situation. Now had he been minding his own business and this happened, then I can understand but he FOLLOWED him after the cops told him to stay put! Based on that alone, I would think he would bare some sort of responsibility for the outcome.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:40 AM

3,445 posts, read 4,830,789 times
Forest Hills Daddy....please stay on topic and not try to "type" words that I didnt.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
But my question is how can someone claim self-defense if they provoked the situation? I don't see how someone can claim that if they instigated the situation. Now had he been minding his own business and this happened, then I can understand but he FOLLOWED him after the cops told him to stay put! Based on that alone, I would think he would bare some sort of responsibility for the outcome.
Whether or nor HZ instigated the confrontation is moot and academic. He can say he felt his life was threatened - either that which caused him to confront TM or pull out the gun during the scuffle - and that was it. If he started the fight he can still get away as long as he "feels" his life was in danger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or