U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:49 AM

3,445 posts, read 4,826,588 times

Advertisements

The Zimmerman trial is ready to go to the jury this weekend. It is highly unlikely he will be convicted of anything as the charges were never proven.

I remember back in 1992 when the Rodney King cops were acquited in CA that a number of white co-workers were verbally assaulted and intimidated by blacks while riding on the subways.

Will this be happening again? Will whites be blamed if an Hispanic is acquited?

Is NYC preparing for possible civil disturbances or will it just be a Florida situation?

Old 07-12-2013, 10:57 AM

506 posts, read 839,906 times
It will be all-out war. We will have to convert the city to a maximum security prison.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:59 AM

23,247 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Well, he killed Trayvon Martin, that was never in question. I'm sure he'll be convicted, not sure of what charges. Since this case became so big, I would think they'd make sure to get a diverse jury as to not repeat past mistakes (such as selecting an all white jury from a conservative area) to try something so controversial.

And there won't be rioting in NYC. NYC is too far away, what good would riots here do anyone in Florida? How would riots change anything in Florida?

And while whatever was said to your coworkers in 1992, there were no riots in NY surrounding Rodney King.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:02 AM

But there were riots in Crown Heights over a traffic accident.

Zimmerman is likely to walk. It looks like he was rightfully defending himself from a thug.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
But there were riots in Crown Heights over a traffic accident.

Zimmerman is likely to walk. He was almost killed by that hood.
Zimmerman isn't walking. If what you said was true, there would not even be a jury trial. They only do jury trials when there is substantial evidence of murder.

At any rate, Zimmerman paid a heavy price for this, fired from his job, kicked out of school, etc. So he's is DONE.

I think you're projecting your own racial bias into the situation, and the problem with this sort of thing is once people set their minds a certain way, no amount of evidence will convince them otherwise.

Zimmerman, when he called 911, was told not to follow Martin. Had he listened to the 911 dispatcher, Martin would be alive and Zimmerman wouldn't have destroyed his life . Oh, Zimmerman had previous legal trouble. He assaulted his girlfriend and had assaulted a cop. I guess these things are okay with you as he killed a young black man, so let him beat all the women and assault all the cops that he wants to.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:06 AM

6,909 posts, read 9,031,228 times
People already know that the incident happened in Florida what with its shooter-friendly laws. I think many have already anticipated an acquittal.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
People already know that the incident happened in Florida what with its shooter-friendly laws. I think many have already anticipated an acquittal.
They also don't want things to explode in Florida, either, since that's where any riots would take place. It really depends on who was selected to be on the jury, and that information is not made public.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:13 AM

Did you watch/listen to the trial or are you making your judgements from biased news reports?

If you listened to the trial you would see the prosecution didnt not present evidence to prove their case. Zimmerman will go free.

Stop race baiting my question.

Simple question....will NY be affected by any civil unrest should ZImmerman not be convicted. I didnt ask your opinion of the trial. Please stay on topic now.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:14 AM

339 posts, read 556,254 times
I just find the whole thing so unbelievably sad. It literally sickens me that Zimmerman has said he doesn't regret anything he did that night. Just...wow, dude. Because you insisted on following this kid when you were told NOT to, that kid is now dead. Even if your story is true (a BIG if)--really, you don't regret following him, knowing if you hadn't he'd still be alive? This unarmed kid, who was only trying to get home? Really, you don't regret that at all?....really?

So, so sad.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:22 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,893,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
I just find the whole thing so unbelievably sad. It literally sickens me that Zimmerman has said he doesn't regret anything he did that night. Just...wow, dude. Because you insisted on following this kid when you were told NOT to, that kid is now dead. Even if your story is true (a BIG if)--really, you don't regret following him, knowing if you hadn't he'd still be alive? This unarmed kid, who was only trying to get home? Really, you don't regret that at all?....really?

So, so sad.
To him he was just another "punk" that he was glad to get off of the streets. Some attorney on TV was talking about how this isn't a White and Black thing because from what he recalls, Zimmerman is part Hispanic. He was trying to imply that race wasn't an issue because since Zimmerman is half Hispanic, he couldn't dare be racist. LOL Think again. From the tapes that I heard and the behavior of this guy, he did not care for Black people and he went out as a "vigilante" to "stop them" from "always get[ting] away", as he put it.

It may not be a Black and White issue, but race is certainly at play here even if it involves two minorities. It is no secret that some Hispanics do not like Black people even if they are a minority group like Blacks are or even have Black mixture in their background.

I think because Zimmerman is part Jewish the media may try to make it into a Black and White issue though which it shouldn't be because Zimmerman cannot classified as a White person when he has a number of mixtures in his background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or