U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 01:00 PM

10 posts, read 8,011 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm Egyptian & i'm seeking to make the master of science in Civil Engineering at CCNY & i will pay all the tuition & fees without any waive & so i decided to live in their dorms the Towers because it's reasonable prices for rooms but lately i found that Harlem is so bad place, isn't that?
I want your advice for going to CCNY or not because the safe of its neighborhood? could i go to CCNY but live in a studio apartment in a safety neighborhood with max rent 1500$/month?
Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 01:28 PM

470 posts, read 744,511 times
How far away from CCNY do you want to live? Do you want to be very close, or would you be okay riding the subway to get to CCNY?

$1500/month for a studio in a safe neighborhood is possible in many places in the city.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,442 times
Yeah that's right 1500$ is enough to afford a studio apartment at many good places..

Old 07-12-2013, 03:09 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,822,965 times
Live in the Towers. It is the best idea financially and academically. Given that you are moving here from abroad, it would be a good way to acclimate yourself in a safe and convenient residence. Make friends, do well in your courses, get to know the city and figure out where you want to live. If not the Towers, Convent, directly west, is quite nice but you might have trouble finding a place in your price range. Or not, you could get lucky. But again, I would go with the Towers.

It isn't a bad area, and even walking to and from the subway on the Terrace will not be the end of the world. The express train stop is a five or ten-minute walk, depending how fast you are.

A good (some say "great" ...) restaurant just opened a few blocks away on 127th and St. Nicholas Avenue, also about a five-minute walk from the Towers. French bistro-type food.

http://www.maisonharlem.com/

People should only post advice if they actually know something about the topics at hand. This is moving out of control. At any moment, the "subway takes you anywhere in five minutes" poster will turn up.

Last edited by Harlem resident; 07-12-2013 at 03:19 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 08:23 PM

i would live in any place however the distance & which places i could live in with 1500$/m? like what?

Last edited by deco891; 07-12-2013 at 08:35 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Live in the Towers. It is the best idea financially and academically. Given that you are moving here from abroad, it would be a good way to acclimate yourself in a safe and convenient residence. Make friends, do well in your courses, get to know the city and figure out where you want to live. If not the Towers, Convent, directly west, is quite nice but you might have trouble finding a place in your price range. Or not, you could get lucky. But again, I would go with the Towers.

It isn't a bad area, and even walking to and from the subway on the Terrace will not be the end of the world. The express train stop is a five or ten-minute walk, depending how fast you are.

A good (some say "great" ...) restaurant just opened a few blocks away on 127th and St. Nicholas Avenue, also about a five-minute walk from the Towers. French bistro-type food.

Maison Harlem | Home

People should only post advice if they actually know something about the topics at hand. This is moving out of control. At any moment, the "subway takes you anywhere in five minutes" poster will turn up.
that why i asked for advice to get all available options & take the best one. unless u from harlem do u think it's almost safe if u rate how much u give it of 10?

Old 07-13-2013, 02:18 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,822,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deco891 View Post
that why i asked for advice to get all available options & take the best one. unless u from harlem do u think it's almost safe if u rate how much u give it of 10?
No place is surely "almost safe" in Manhattan, perhaps not in New York. Too many people.

In Harlem you are not necessarily more likely to be targeted for a crime if you are not part of the 'hood culture. And, in fact, if you do have a problem, people are more likely to help you here than is the case in many other neighborhoods.

We do not appreciate the lack of amenities, relatively speaking, or the quality-of-life issues associated with ghetto culture. I am not a Harlem native (downtown), my significant other is.

My advice was given far less as a Harlem resident than as an academic with an understanding of what these endeavors entail.

You should look on craigslist for apartments and then check hopstop for the distances.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:57 PM

thank you for the huge benefits

Old 07-14-2013, 05:04 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,495,554 times
It's possible, but are you in a position to spend that much time to search for an apartment, and learn what you need to know about apartments and leases here, especially since - excuse me - you're not fluent in English?

Old 07-14-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It's possible, but are you in a position to spend that much time to search for an apartment, and learn what you need to know about apartments and leases here, especially since - excuse me - you're not fluent in English?
why i'm not fluent in English? & about possible of living in a high level place with 1500$/m where could i live? i concern living in a skyscraper whatever the distance to the college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City