U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 04:53 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,895,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Many of these so called "beggers" are collecting welfare and food stamps. Will they be reporting any of their so called "earnings" to the government?

Another subsection of this "begging" population are nothing more than drug/alcohol addicts. And no, I will not be handing them change to enable their addictions as I feel like that would be morally wrong.
Good point. What about the scam artists? They ruin it for the people that actually need a hand.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 12:12 AM

23,265 posts, read 16,096,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
I think we should put them in jail if they can't pay. It's illegal, and people who break the law should be punished.
Jail is not an invisible hole that people go into and don't come out of. They'd be released and go straight back into the subways to panhandle some more. NYC is full of homeless people, and jail is not a solution.

And what really offends people about the homeless anyway? Is it that obviously it shows NYC is no glorious paradise.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Giving food and shelter to a homeless person at no cost to them is a punishment?
Free food, and free shelter. Oh, and if you're locked up for awhile, they just don't let you out. You have a parole officer (costs taxpayer money). They make you do things like get a GED, go to school, job training, etc. All of this costs much more money than panhandlers get.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
In addition to more panhandlers on the trains and homeless in the streets, I saw a squeegie man by the Ed Koch/Queensborough Bridge the other day. I couldn't believe it. Things must be getting worse :-(
I think you're right. I also see a lot more white homeless for whatever reason than I used to. All over Chelsea, the Village, Lower East Side, Midtown, etc.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Many of these so called "beggers" are collecting welfare and food stamps. Will they be reporting any of their so called "earnings" to the government?

Another subsection of this "begging" population are nothing more than drug/alcohol addicts. And no, I will not be handing them change to enable their addictions as I feel like that would be morally wrong.
All this is true. And some of them are on welfare AND drug addicts.

I don't blame for you not giving them money, yet at the same time, arresting them is not the answer. And considering that rents aren't getting any cheaper while wages are not going up, we will see more of this. Its a complicated issue. Yes, there's personal responsibility, butt there are also social and economic issues.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:28 PM

9,327 posts, read 13,874,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
3. people who stop dead in the middle of the stairs down from the elevated subway platform and stare at their cell phones as if whatever inane text or facebook like they're looking at is more important than the commute of a trainload of citizens.
I'm shocked no one doing this has had their neck broken after being slammed into by the person behind them (also talking on their cell phone, but better able to walk and talk).

Old 07-14-2013, 12:30 PM

9,327 posts, read 13,874,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Good point. What about the scam artists? They ruin it for the people that actually need a hand.
Most of the articulate ones with a routine they do are scam artists, IMO.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:16 PM

2,257 posts, read 2,629,464 times
Only 2 types bother me, ALL OF THE "dancers" (and im a dancer myself) and this one guy on the L train that is so rude with his approach. Aside from that i could care less.

I always chuckle when i hear young kids say something along the lines of "im trying to stay off the street and do something positive" 1. You're on the street and 2. what you're doing is technically illegal lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City