Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 09:10 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina11 View Post
I understand that there are homeless and needy people. I do. But pandling in the subway should not be a way to get help. Even though it is against the law, it is largely tolerated in NYC and encouraged by the many passengers who do give money. Which perpetuates this behavior. We are all pretty busy and/or stressed. I really don't want to be subjected to someone's loud begging or singing or music playing or whatever. Especially the begging gets to me. I don't want to hear someone shouting about their poor life and asking loudly for help almost every time i am just trying to get from point a to point b in a (usually) crowded and (sometimes) hot subway. This should be punished and discouraged. This is the law. What are your thoughts?
"Think"??

It is shortsigted, self centered, and bordering upon stupidity.

If you can be that way, then way can't "they"?? Do you have some rights they do not?

Think on it, at least they have a fair reason to act "shortsighted and self centered", food and shelter! What's yours?

Besides, why should the things which are "tolerated" in NYC, be done away with, just because of whiny *Transplants* and their delicate dispositions? Perhaps it is better you whiny Transplants just leave!

The idea of "punishing" the poorest of the poor and homeless, begging on the street, is just abhorrently classists and plain stupid! Why not simply round them up and send them off to the "Poor House" along with "Oliver". "More Please!"

I suggest you strive like a NYer, and earn enough so that you don't have to ride the subway along with the rabble. Until such time, accept and appreciate the reality that (as long as you are in NYC) you yourself are just one short step from homelessness and the poor house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 09:13 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
When I am king, quite a few miscreants will be ahead of "subway panhandlers" in the line leading to the whipping post:

1. people who walk down the sidewalk in groups four abreast (and all other violators of the "keep right" rule of foot traffic

2. motorcyclists with loud pipes (those who have also at some point made the claim that "loud pipes save lives" will have salt poured on their lash marks.

3. people who stop dead in the middle of the stairs down from the elevated subway platform and stare at their cell phones as if whatever inane text or facebook like they're looking at is more important than the commute of a trainload of citizens.

and that is just the beginning.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:21 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
I think we should put them in jail if they can't pay. It's illegal, and people who break the law should be punished.
Another ignorant who thinks Poor Houses s/b brought back and that Vagrants and Loiterers s/b put into prisons. Perhaps Slavery s/b brought back so that these folk will have some work??!!

You do know that a revolutionary war, as well as a civil war were fought for such reasons. Sorry, one w/h to be educated to know such things!

Stupidity and ignorance s/b cause for imprisonment!

Old 07-13-2013, 09:37 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
When I am king, quite a few miscreants will be ahead of "subway panhandlers" in the line leading to the whipping post:

1. people who walk down the sidewalk in groups four abreast (and all other violators of the "keep right" rule of foot traffic

2. motorcyclists with loud pipes (those who have also at some point made the claim that "loud pipes save lives" will have salt poured on their lash marks.

3. people who stop dead in the middle of the stairs down from the elevated subway platform and stare at their cell phones as if whatever inane text or facebook like they're looking at is more important than the commute of a trainload of citizens.

and that is just the beginning.
And i will be your High Executioner.

I do get the loud pipes save lives when it comes to highway driving for motorcycles but it is unnecessary on city streets.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:46 AM

370 posts, read 624,364 times
Many of these people are not just homeless, they are drug addicts, alcoholics, or mentally ill. Putting them in jail for panhandling will not solve the problem. Also, where will the money that it will cost to round up these people and jail them come from? I would rather that we focus on creating new (non-retail) jobs that pay a decent wage, increasing our high school graduation rates, or providing adequate Physical Education to our public school students.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:20 AM

506 posts, read 1,011,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Another ignorant who thinks Poor Houses s/b brought back and that Vagrants and Loiterers s/b put into prisons. Perhaps Slavery s/b brought back so that these folk will have some work??!!

Stupidity and ignorance s/b cause for imprisonment!
Yeah I'm so ignorant and uneducated silly me for thinking that people shouldn't get away with breaking the law.

You've made a lot of ignorant comments yourself in this thread, making personal attacks on people who are likely much more educated than yourself, dismissing people's well-explained opinions without giving them consideration, and not offering any alternatives

But then I looked through your older posts and realized you're just a troll account, so it all makes sense now.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:48 AM

72 posts, read 107,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina11 View Post
I understand that there are homeless and needy people. I do. But pandling in the subway should not be a way to get help. Even though it is against the law, it is largely tolerated in NYC and encouraged by the many passengers who do give money. Which perpetuates this behavior. We are all pretty busy and/or stressed. I really don't want to be subjected to someone's loud begging or singing or music playing or whatever. Especially the begging gets to me. I don't want to hear someone shouting about their poor life and asking loudly for help almost every time i am just trying to get from point a to point b in a (usually) crowded and (sometimes) hot subway. This should be punished and discouraged. This is the law. What are your thoughts?
Be careful with having an opinion like that on this board..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
And have some sympathy. Yes, you're busy and stressed, but you think these guys want to beg? You think they're not stressed wondering where they're going to spend the night and where to get their next meal?

I have more of an issue with those who sleep in the subway car, taking up an entire bench.
Have some sympathy. Yes, you have an issue, but you think these guys want to sleep in a subway car? You think they're not having issues wondering where they're going to spend the night and where they're going to sleep next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Yeah I'm so ignorant and uneducated silly me for thinking that people shouldn't get away with breaking the law.

You've made a lot of ignorant comments yourself in this thread, making personal attacks on people who are likely much more educated than yourself, dismissing people's well-explained opinions without giving them consideration, and not offering any alternatives

But then I looked through your older posts and realized you're just a troll account, so it all makes sense now.
Funny thing is... I doubt he'll get an infraction or have his posts deleted by bmwguydc or seventhfloor, even though he's made personal attacks on people.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:56 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
So exactly what jobs are drug addicts, alcoholics, or the mentally ill well suited for?

I've come to learn to live with the fact that for as great as nyc can be in many aspects, it can also be a third world sht hole. I live in soho,mine of the most popular neighborhoods in the world. However by 2pm every day, trash is absolutely overflowing the streets and side walks. Some guy walks around in nothing but a towel, and has a mattress and four shopping carts of garbage permanently occupying a store front / drive way. I see people pissing on my building at least once a week. Ive seen cab drivers throw bottles full of **** out their window in the middle of the street. Yeah, these animals act like this bc society has not provided opportunity or jobs. Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
Many of these people are not just homeless, they are drug addicts, alcoholics, or mentally ill. Putting them in jail for panhandling will not solve the problem. Also, where will the money that it will cost to round up these people and jail them come from? I would rather that we focus on creating new (non-retail) jobs that pay a decent wage, increasing our high school graduation rates, or providing adequate Physical Education to our public school students.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:10 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
In addition to more panhandlers on the trains and homeless in the streets, I saw a squeegie man by the Ed Koch/Queensborough Bridge the other day. I couldn't believe it. Things must be getting worse :-(

Old 07-13-2013, 02:29 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,207 times
Many of these so called "beggers" are collecting welfare and food stamps. Will they be reporting any of their so called "earnings" to the government?

Another subsection of this "begging" population are nothing more than drug/alcohol addicts. And no, I will not be handing them change to enable their addictions as I feel like that would be morally wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City