U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:23 AM

36 posts, read 49,978 times

Advertisements

You must be sure to include the "Sub Rub." Where your arms rubb upon the person sitting next to you and you both are liek omggg ewwww but its like okay wahtever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 10:24 AM

89 posts, read 108,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
that's dumb. how are you going to write a book
about something you know totally nothing about?

scram!
It's called imagination. Plenty of sci-fi writers have written about being in space or in the future without having actually done it. Plenty of writers have written about murder without having committed it.

That being said, the thing that strikes me most about the subway is the noise. It's the loud sound of metal on metal and it can cut right through you. There is nothing but artificial light (flourescent?) in most stations giving the dark environs a green glow. And then there are the rats. Believe it or not, you get used to them but that little flicker of movement you see out of the corner of your eye on the tracks is a rat. Sometimes a bird will fly into a station as well, but not often. And then there's my number one way of knowing a train is coming...the gush of air that comes out of the tunnel as the unseen train is heading for you. Wind, noise, a full cast of characters and rats. Lots of rats . But it's also the best way to get around town.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:53 PM

470 posts, read 744,859 times
This is a really good representation of the sound:

MTA New York City Transit Subway: Brighton Local and Sea Beach Local - YouTube

This is very, very typical of the subway. During really crowded times, you might hear more people talking, but that's the only difference. People don't usually talk during rush hour, but might on weekends or at night when there are groups of people who know each other. Sometimes you hear someone's music creeping out of their earbuds.

Also, the subway cars themselves don't usually have a smell. Some of the stations do, but not all. Sometimes there are very strong bad odors, but that's what you get when there are lots of people crammed into a small area. It only takes one person to stink it up. So if the subway ever has a smell, that smell is usually people.

Last edited by Bremsstrahlung; 07-16-2013 at 01:01 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 02:03 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,360,028 times
This morning, 9 AM, height of the rush hour, middle of the heat wave, packed, no AC, D train. Dante's 3rd circle of hell. No way humanly possible to describe just how awful it was. The sights, feeling, and smells of it all is just too much to describe. If cattle on their way to the slaughter were treated like this, the operators would be slapped with animal cruelty charges.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:09 PM

470 posts, read 744,859 times
Yeah summer is the worst. The subways do tend to smell in the summer. The cars themselves have AC, sometimes, but the platforms in the subway stations do not. Sometimes there are vents blowing air, like at Roosevelt/Jackson Heights, which is home base for me--but that air is hot. It feels like a forty foot Satan breaking wind on you from his bottomless, abysmal colon. And it smells worse.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:12 PM

20,144 posts, read 26,425,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
that's dumb. how are you going to write a book
about something you know totally nothing about?

scram!

In creative writing classes don't they always say "Make sure you write only about something you know absolutely nothing about?"

Old 07-27-2013, 07:41 AM

4 posts, read 15,021 times
These are really great descriptions! I'm keeping them all in my notes.

My book is set maybe around May or June, haven't decided yet. And the subway is an underground station. Because my book is a mystery, can someone tell me if any underground station is ever empty? Perhaps late in the night or early morning? What would I expect it to look like around that time? Once again, be as descriptive as you possibly can, I need all the advice I can get! Thanks guys!

Old 07-27-2013, 07:49 AM

420 posts, read 549,073 times
Sounds like Chinese violin and tastes like Mexican cinnamon sticks.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:06 AM

12,381 posts, read 22,628,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernNative2013 View Post
These are really great descriptions! I'm keeping them all in my notes.

My book is set maybe around May or June, haven't decided yet. And the subway is an underground station. Because my book is a mystery, can someone tell me if any underground station is ever empty? Perhaps late in the night or early morning? What would I expect it to look like around that time? Once again, be as descriptive as you possibly can, I need all the advice I can get! Thanks guys!
Why can't you come here and discover the system... Its so cheap and scammy to go off what others say...

Old 07-28-2013, 01:39 PM

804 posts, read 1,306,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Was this experience last year when you were 14?

Don't write about NYC when you don't know anything about it. Write what you know.

Also judging by your writing, practice writing a lot and get a good editor...
What are you talking about? He is not the OP, and was just describing his first time on a subway in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City