U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 11:36 AM

12,120 posts, read 27,524,856 times

Advertisements

How often does a person have to serve as a juror?
A person who serves in a State or Federal court in New York— either by reporting in person or by being available to serve via a telephone call-in system—normally is not eligible to serve again in the New York State courts for at least six years. A juror who serves for more than ten days normally is not eligible to serve again in the New York State courts for at least eight years. Jurors who physically report to serve in Town and Village courts are eligible to serve again in two years. Just because a person is eligible to serve does not mean they will be called.

above is what the jurors handbook says about how often one has to serve

I served up to 10 days as a trial juror on a misdemeanor case in the Bronx Hall Of Justice on E 161 street. i served from 2/16 to 3/2/10. I think i served 9 or 10 days

when will i get called again? I am not sure if i was in a state court or a municipal court because the Bronx Hall Of Justice is a merged court of misdemeanors and felonies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 06:42 AM

30,316 posts, read 31,181,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
How often does a person have to serve as a juror?
A person who serves in a State or Federal court in New York— either by reporting in person or by being available to serve via a telephone call-in system—normally is not eligible to serve again in the New York State courts for at least six years. A juror who serves for more than ten days normally is not eligible to serve again in the New York State courts for at least eight years. Jurors who physically report to serve in Town and Village courts are eligible to serve again in two years. Just because a person is eligible to serve does not mean they will be called.

above is what the jurors handbook says about how often one has to serve

I served up to 10 days as a trial juror on a misdemeanor case in the Bronx Hall Of Justice on E 161 street. i served from 2/16 to 3/2/10. I think i served 9 or 10 days

when will i get called again? I am not sure if i was in a state court or a municipal court because the Bronx Hall Of Justice is a merged court of misdemeanors and felonies
Well at least 6 years from when you served but it could be longer.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:28 AM

821 posts, read 2,400,766 times
Agreed that the municipal court/state court distinction is a little confusing. (Forget about the Town and Village courts for the moment, as they do not exist in NYC).

We were told in Brooklyn that we would not be called for at least 8 years (I only showed up for one day and was not put on a jury). We were told that different counties have different lengths of time for being called, and it is dependent on how many people comply with showing up when called to jury duty (obviously, the fewer people who comply, the more notices they have to send out), and Brooklyn has a good record in this regard.

If you sat on a misdemeanor case, then that would have been a "municipal" court (though in NY we no longer use the term "municipal court"); however, all of these courts fall under the "New York State Unified Court System" http://www.courts.state.ny.us/courts/index.shtml .

You should have been given a Juror's Proof Of Service Certificate, which will clear up whether you served "over ten days".

Quote:
These rules have recently been changed, although the general rule was and is that jurors cannot serve more than every six years. In Bronx and Queens, jurors should not be summoned more than once every 6 years. Effective summer 2007, in Brooklyn, jurors should not be summoned more than once every 8 years. In New York County, how often a juror serves is now determined by the length of time a juror actually serves. For example, a juror who served for only 1-2 days, a juror can technically be re-called to serve in two years - although more commonly it will be three to four years before they will be summoned again. If a New York County juror served three days or more, they will be exempt from serving for another six years. In addition, although most jurors don't serve for this long, if a juror has served for ten days or more, they are exempt from service for eight years. If a juror believes that they are being re-summoned too early, and they have proof of their prior service, they should bring proof of service to the clerk's office and explain their situation.
FAQ
Note: the above quote is from a no-longer-updated website, and may not contain current info. I include it to show that the 6/8 year rule doesn't seem cut & dried.

Last edited by nyctc7; 07-14-2013 at 09:37 AM..

Old 07-14-2013, 01:44 PM

thanks. as long as it's not 4 years im not concerned. 6 or 8 is fine by me. i have my proof of service but it's just buried somewhere. i know now that i did 10 days but not more

Old 07-14-2013, 01:54 PM

2,285 posts, read 1,273,837 times
Federal jury duty is independent of New York jury duty. You can serve in federal court if you haven't had jury duty in any court in the past 2 years.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:26 PM

does this mean you can voluntarily serve if you want to or that the Federal court system will find you and summons you?

Old 07-14-2013, 02:32 PM

2,285 posts, read 1,273,837 times
The federal court may summon you. I had jury duty in a NY State court in 2009 and was good for 8 years. However, I had to go to jury duty in a federal court earlier this year because the NY State jury duty was more than 2 years ago.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:45 PM

can you postpone if need be? im going on vacation years end.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:46 PM

how long did you serve for? did you actually make it to a trial or did you just sit for a selection(I know its different then the NY trial juror process)? if you live in bkln did you serve in manhattan?

Old 07-14-2013, 02:59 PM

are the federal judicial laws the same as the NY laws when it comes to employers allowing an employee to go to jury duty, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City