U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 06:13 PM

2,591 posts, read 3,376,294 times

Advertisements

I think most people who have lived in the NYC metro area realize that there are nice neighborhoods in the Bronx. I'd guess that someone who would dismiss the entire borough is more concerned with status and what their friends would think - more concerned with the perception of others than reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 07:10 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,862,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I say if you are dismissing an entire borough even under the (imaginary) free rent scenario..I say you are not a NYer at all, and you should have stayed in LI where you belong. You won't be missed...I suggest you leave ASAP...I mean you may accidentally run into someone from the Bronx..and then what! It's not worth the risk! RUN TO IOWA..HURRY!

I also would not recommend connecticut..I mean you would probably have to drive through the Bronx on occasion...NO WAY NOT EVEN IF IT WAS FOR A FREE CAR AND FREE GAS RIGHT? Actually, your best bet is to leave the country, because NYC residents, and those Bronx ones too, move all over the country. What if one of "those people" move next door to you in your future home in Texas? Not worth the risk, NOT EVEN FOR A FREE HOUSE IN TEXAS AND $1 MILLION CASH. I suggest expanding your search to Namibia, Papua New Guinea, and Tajikistan.
Why do people get so butt hurt when someone dismisses their borough? Oh no he hates the Bronx boo hoo. Who cares?

Old 07-14-2013, 07:46 PM

10,612 posts, read 20,745,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Why do people get so butt hurt when someone dismisses their borough? Oh no he hates the Bronx boo hoo. Who cares?
Saying you wouldn't live in an entire borough unless your rent is free is just a stupid thing to say, especially when the person saying it is crying about how little money they make and how they can't afford to live anywhere.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:10 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,862,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Saying you wouldn't live in an entire borough unless your rent is free is just a stupid thing to say, especially when the person saying it is crying about how little money they make and how they can't afford to live anywhere.
If you can afford to live in L.I then you can afford to live in Brooklyn or Queens. You just have to look hard enough. The OP pretty much bashed every borough except Manhattan [but noticeably more so for the Bronx], but everyone jumped on him just for bashing the Bronx. I agree that what he said was pretty stupid [If I was offered a rent free apt in Riverdale, Woodlawn, Morris Park etc, I would jump on that quicker then a roadrunner.] and it's pretty obvious he doesn't know the borough that well, but people seem to forget that the Bronx to outsiders still has a reputation for being a ghetto.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:56 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,284,010 times
NJ is a disgusting state ( except or the reas populated by commuting NYers). I sincerely mean this. The state is a dump; warehouses and strip malls with miles of nothing.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:26 AM

49 posts, read 22,381 times
If you want to live in Staten Island, you need to correct your info...there is a resident discount for traveling over the Verrazano bridge; just have to go to the EZ-Pass office on South Ave to show proof. It's $6 if you make 3 or more trips in a 30 day period which most people from Staten Island do. There is also a discount available to Staten Island residents for the NJ bridges if you travel over them 20 times in a 30 day period.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:17 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,069,357 times
why not move to nassau county somewhere near the lirr?

Old 07-15-2013, 12:22 PM

5,473 posts, read 9,195,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
NJ is a disgusting state ( except or the reas populated by commuting NYers). I sincerely mean this. The state is a dump; warehouses and strip malls with miles of nothing.
The Meadowlans Arena in East Rutherford was built on a heavy polluted marsh. Nice.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:22 PM

1,593 posts, read 1,277,907 times
Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Most likely Pennsylvania. What a beautiful state.
I think that's a great choice! PA is very beautiful!! I was there last summer in Central PA in the mountains and loved it!!

Old 07-15-2013, 01:44 PM

1,593 posts, read 1,277,907 times
Default Iowa and Texas has a much higher quality/standard of life

Apparently, you haven't traveled much past the Bronx, SobroGuy. Why compare a borough with a state? You could have at least named a town in either Iowa or Texas to compare versus the Bronx. You still would have lost your argument but I'm just saying. Iowa is a beautiful state with the sweetest, more courteous, and well-mannered people you will meet. Texas is not a naturally beautiful state but they make up for it with their friendliness and the best food (solid, stick-to-your-bones American cooking), period! There is a such thing as common courtesy and decency regarding how the people conduct themselves and carry themselves. To live in either of those two states I wouldn't be subjected to hearing people throw the F-word & N-word around like water while walking down the street, regularly seeing/hearing people fight and curse each other on the street/bus/cell phone, having to constantly maintain police presence to maintain order on a daily basis, etc. Why would you mention Tajikistan? That's a poor country with corruption, drugs, and a past civil war preventing it from moving into a higher quality of life like the more advance nations. Why would you compare it to the borough of da' Bronx ...oh, I see... you're comparing apples with apples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City