U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 05:29 PM

10,630 posts, read 20,770,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesSquareElmo View Post
Hopefully, the mods will take appropriate action.

As it says in the rules, "no personal attacks" and "insulting another member will not be tolerated".

Mods, will you please look into this? I have already reported the attack.

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.
Good one! Elmo from Sesame Street
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 05:39 PM

774 posts, read 1,360,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
why not move to nassau county somewhere near the lirr?
This is sort of what I was thinking. I've always liked the idea of living within walking distance of a Metro-North or LIRR station in the suburbs and working within walking distance of Penn Sta or GCT.

However I'm not sure the OP works near a LIRR station now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesSquareElmo View Post
I find it amusing that people feel the need to be rude to people who are considering moving out of NYC.
People who are not sure of themselves need to have their own choices validated as much as possible.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:51 PM

10 posts, read 7,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
People who are not sure of themselves need to have their own choices validated as much as possible.
Perhaps

However, those validations should be stated in an appropriate and civil manner here on the City-Data forums.

These are the rules that we agreed to.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:02 PM

10,630 posts, read 20,770,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
This isn't what it's about for me. I have no problem with people wanting to leave NY if it's not right for them. I may do it myself one day. I do have a problem with OP's original post where she trashes an entire borough by saying she (as a person who hardly makes enough to scrape by) would not even deign to live anywhere in that entire borough even if the rent were free!

That's rude. There are plenty of ways of stating you don't want to live in NY any more and to ask for advice, but to start off a thread with something that is rude like that... well it's possible it could inspire people not to be that nice in return.

So my advice: if you want a nice discussion of your issues (where to live next when you leave NY) then don't start off trashing a borough where probably 20% of the forum members reside.

It really has nothing to do with people "who are not sure of themselves." It has to do with OP not having the simple decency to starting a thread asking her question in a manner that doesn't include trashing a borough where many people here live.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:53 PM

149 posts, read 307,824 times
Out of the city in 3 months and ready for it!

Iam done with the city. Moving to Brewster NY will use metro north for work
No driving just the train!

Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 PM

10,102 posts, read 9,337,589 times
Pfffffft.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:27 AM

690 posts, read 773,199 times
i don kno where u got yo prices, OP, but im payin $1300 in nj for a mediocre, old, small 1 bd
u not gon find anyth remotely decent for $900, u prolly looked at bad areas

Old 07-16-2013, 05:17 AM

1,597 posts, read 1,281,406 times
Default Thanks

Thanks TimesSquareElmo!

Old 07-16-2013, 05:25 AM

Nassau county is expensive and apartment buildings are not that plentiful and available. Besides no one moves to LI if they're looking for lower rent. Where I lived the street often flooded during a full moon, heavy rain, or when there was a storm. When Sandy came, the entire neighborhood was underwater. Water covered the entire first floor of the homes on my block. The house was severely damage and out of commission for months. It's finally been repaired but I can't afford to move back especially knowing how vulnerable my block is to flooding.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:29 AM

There are plenty of ways of stating you don't want to live in NY any more and to ask for advice, but to start off a thread with something that is rude like that... well it's possible it could inspire people not to be that nice in return.

The mature thing to do if you disagree with someone's else opinion is to: ignore them or give your counter-opinion and go on your way. Threatening or suggesting that you want to physically hurt someone because you don't agree with them on a message board is way over the top and uncalled for. No excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City