U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 04:30 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,277,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Florida2 View Post
Out of the city in 3 months and ready for it!

Iam done with the city. Moving to Brewster NY will use metro north for work
No driving just the train!
Sounds interesting but will it be expensive? Or considering everything else does it balance out for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 04:33 AM

Skechin, yep it isn't the greatest area although my apartment is huge.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:22 AM

189 posts, read 154,797 times
im definately moving to pennsylvania the rents are far cheaper and you get central air and free parking and mabe a swimming pool for your cheap rent

Old 07-16-2013, 02:46 PM

7,902 posts, read 6,477,538 times
I hate to defend the guy, but saying you might get a kick in the a$$ by a fictitious Bronx resident (IE, not "I'm gonna kick you in the...) is definitely not a personal attack. IF anything says NOT NYC, it's not being able to read that statement without getting all hissy.

That said, I can't wait to move out of NYC (this whole region). It sucks. It's far too expensive. This is coming from someone who is plenty comfortable financially and who owns their own home. It's just tough to accept the cost of living here when I compare how far my salary gets me to the experiences of my friends who live in other parts of the country living much more comfortable and stress free lives on FAR less money.

I too wouldn't live in the Bronx even if the apartment was free, for a multitude of reasons. Reading this thread I get that there's apparent issues with the OP, but that aside, there's plenty of reasons for one to make that statement besides the easy knee-jerk reaction of anti-ghetto racism. First off, I could never imagine moving my children into an apartment, period. Secondly, the Bronx is far too urban and dense for some of us. Third, family would be to far away, which seems to be a concern of the OP also.

BUT, I must say that if your indomitable quest for a suitable living situation didn't even include enough time to confirm that there HAS ALWAYS been an SI resident discount on the VZ, then I question your commitment to actually finding a place that fits you and wonder if this really was just a vent session after all. Especially considering one of your complaints re: the toll was visiting family in LI, which means living in NJ would just add a few even more expensive tolls to the trip. This part made no sense at all.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:33 PM

I've have no further comments on the butt kicking remark because I've already had my say and Sobroguy has dropped it. It's over and done and I'm sure I'll see him in another thread for new conversation. I let bygones be bygones.

Yes, it's too expensive for what you get in return for living here. I'm considering moving away from the region and will most likely make it happen within in the next year.

It's no big deal that my quest didn't include doing research on the toll to S.I. Staten Island was a consideration but not at the top of my list for reasons that I can't go into but my mission wasn't "Staten Island or bust". My quest and more in-depth research was into other areas for other reasons and I found a place that fits me, or so I thought, in NJ. But even here, looking at the expense of living in the NYC metro area period, the high taxes, transportation costs, the quality of life is lower than what I can get in other places for less. (And before someone assumes that I've never lived in other parts of the country so how would I know? I know because I've lived in other states across the country due to my former occupation). I've never complained about a toll for visiting family in LI; especially since I have no family in Long Island. No wonder that part made no sense to you. Not to mention, there is no toll to drive into L.I (Hmm, do you really live here or in Kansas but visiting the NYC board?? j/k). The toll I pay, on days when I don't opt for NJ public transportation into Port Authority, is coming from NJ into Manhattan for work.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:42 PM

7,902 posts, read 6,477,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Staten Island (and pay a $15 dollar toll every time I come back home, NO) and even with my EZ Pass discount it's $13, NO)
This, and your mention of having lived on LI. I am guilty of assuming I suppose. Either way, good luck wherever you land. I envy anyone who are getting out of here in a year. I have a few more than that to go for personal reasons but would leave tomorrow if the opportunity presented itself.

Last edited by Airborneguy; 07-16-2013 at 10:06 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 PM

4,052 posts, read 2,931,408 times
You gotta love how we NYers pissy fight about noth'n. OP aint looking for advise. She want to blow off steam.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 PM

5,473 posts, read 9,193,791 times
The more ppl dislike the Bronx the better. Its getting crowded. More elbowroom! More lebensraum!

Old 07-17-2013, 05:14 AM

480 posts, read 771,233 times
It's not that all of the Bronx is bad, it just has few to no amenities. There are exceptions, of course. The Bronx is by far the prettiest borough in my opinion if you know where to look. Hint: the further up you go, the better.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:29 AM

14,796 posts, read 17,410,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
The more ppl dislike the Bronx the better. Its getting crowded. More elbowroom! More lebensraum!

I'm looking for lebensraum as well as trying to manifest my destiny. Looking to go out west again in 7 weeks for about a week. Pretty much, I grew out of NYC. Lately I have been checking out Westchester County more and more and also seeing a chick from Nassau County, she wants me to look for a job out in LI, these places are not to bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City