U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 02:36 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,280,743 times

Advertisements

I've come to the conclusion that I've peaked in NYC and it's time to move. I work very hard and always have yet my salary remains too low for NYC. My commute from L.I during the past 4 years to my job in the city was always 3-4 hours roundtrip. Then I moved into the city for about 6 months last year but my job moved to the one of the boroughs. I didn't want the congestion and lack of grass and trees in Manhattan so looked at one-bedroom apartments in the boroughs. On my salary, my choices for affordable market value rent was reduced to basement apartments in Queens (um, NO), studio apartments in Brooklyn, NO), Staten Island (and pay a $15 dollar toll every time I come back home, NO) and even with my EZ Pass discount it's $13, NO) , or the Bronx (double NO regardless of how many bedrooms I'm offered and even if FREE rent was thrown in as a consolation prize, NO thank you!).

Since I felt Connecticut was a little too far to drive back and forth to work everyday (and I would have had to move way out in CT for the affordable market value apartments) not to mention the traffic on I-95 North corridor is reminiscent of LA freeway traffic, I settled on NJ to move to thinking it offers the closest to what appeals to me: peace and quiet, less congestion, grass, trees, and more importantly "affordable" rent. Well, even in NJ (will start another thread about this) I realize it's still not economically logical for me to continue to stay in the NYC metro area. I'm considering where to live that will not only offer a higher quality of life but appeal to me in other ways as well. I've already started applying for jobs in other parts of the country. Anyone else looking to move within the next year or so? Have you decided where yet? If so, where?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 03:03 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,870,380 times
Most likely Pennsylvania. What a beautiful state.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:40 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,567,530 times
I say if you are dismissing an entire borough even under the (imaginary) free rent scenario..I say you are not a NYer at all, and you should have stayed in LI where you belong. You won't be missed...I suggest you leave ASAP...I mean you may accidentally run into someone from the Bronx..and then what! It's not worth the risk! RUN TO IOWA..HURRY!

I also would not recommend connecticut..I mean you would probably have to drive through the Bronx on occasion...NO WAY NOT EVEN IF IT WAS FOR A FREE CAR AND FREE GAS RIGHT? Actually, your best bet is to leave the country, because NYC residents, and those Bronx ones too, move all over the country. What if one of "those people" move next door to you in your future home in Texas? Not worth the risk, NOT EVEN FOR A FREE HOUSE IN TEXAS AND $1 MILLION CASH. I suggest expanding your search to Namibia, Papua New Guinea, and Tajikistan.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:50 PM

222 posts, read 565,060 times
I would not rule out the Bronx. I believe there are some nice neighborhoods there, and the green space in the Bronx is outstanding with the New York Botanical Garden, the Bronx Zoo, and Van Cortlandt Park. You might take some time to drive around the borough and explore it for yourself. I live in Manhattan, and I have considered moving up there to get away from all the congestion and traffic noise here.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:19 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,827,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I say if you are dismissing an entire borough even under the (imaginary) free rent scenario..I say you are not a NYer at all, and you should have stayed in LI where you belong. You won't be missed...I suggest you leave ASAP...I mean you may accidentally run into someone from the Bronx..and then what! It's not worth the risk! RUN TO IOWA..HURRY!

I also would not recommend connecticut..I mean you would probably have to drive through the Bronx on occasion...NO WAY NOT EVEN IF IT WAS FOR A FREE CAR AND FREE GAS RIGHT? Actually, your best bet is to leave the country, because NYC residents, and those Bronx ones too, move all over the country. What if one of "those people" move next door to you in your future home in Texas? Not worth the risk, NOT EVEN FOR A FREE HOUSE IN TEXAS AND $1 MILLION CASH. I suggest expanding your search to Namibia, Papua New Guinea, and Tajikistan.
I could hear the sandy vajayay before I even scrolled down...

Edit: It's sounds kind of crunchy

Old 07-14-2013, 04:25 PM

10,626 posts, read 20,764,898 times
There's already a huge long thread about this exact issue. Maybe you could ask the mod to remove yours and just participate in the other one.
So you want to leave new york: where would you go and why?

It's a good topic in general, but your OP comes off as sort of strange. You were living in Manhattan but your job moved to one of the outer boroughs so you decided to move to New Jersey? A little weird. Also, there are some nice areas in the Bronx like Riverdale, so to say someone would have to pay you to live in the Bronx is also weird, since most of your post is complaining about how you don't make enough to live on.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:37 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,836,615 times
If you wanted to move to New Jersey, New York was probably never a good fit for you. New Jersey is certainly is not necessarily cheaper for anything even remotely commute-able.

I think you are wrong about the Bronx.
I also thought you were wrong about Hamilton Heights.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:46 PM

9,957 posts, read 7,711,184 times
You might end up feeling miserable anywhere you go. What is it that might make you want to live somewhere.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:47 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,567,530 times
available: As flattering as it is that you invest so much time in me and my posts, so much so that the alluring sound of my crunchy vajayaya lures you to me relentlessly, it is creepy.

I think this op is wrong about a lot of things....so I tend to agree with the above posters.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:59 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,827,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
available: As flattering as it is that you invest so much time in me and my posts, so much so that the alluring sound of my crunchy vajayaya lures you to me relentlessly, it is creepy.

I think this op is wrong about a lot of things....so I tend to agree with the above posters.

Define "investing so much time in you" in your opinion. If I see something lulz worthy from you (often), I'll comment on it, on the occasions that I'm actually on here. Nothing more, fella...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City