Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 07:35 PM

156 posts, read 285,617 times

Advertisements

Where might we find a good Japanese lunch for under $50 per person? Neither fancy nor formal needed. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 08:13 PM

249 posts, read 424,728 times
Yasaka in the West 70s is decent, as is Taishō on St. Mark's Place. Both are reasonably authentic and neither will cost that much.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:01 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,635 times
SHARAKU has great food big portions and not expensive and has been opened for many yrs.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:27 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,778 times
I can only speak about places in the EV.

Quality sushi isn't cheap but there's a lot of good places that you can get a non-omakase meal for under $50. Yuba is the best for the price, Kanoyama good but overrated for non-omakase, and Bugs is an interesting new place. I'd recommend Hasaki for cooked items but not sushi (more expensive than Yuba but not nearly as good). Yuba is run by a former Masa sushi chef and the fish quality is superb (which is why they have a Michelin recommendation), it doesn't cost an arm and a leg because it's a small, modest restaurant and you're not paying a premium for atmosphere. No BS, just high quality fish although the frills are available if you want to pay extra for it (omakase starts at $50).

For an izakaya go to Blue Ribbon Izakaya, Village Yokocho or Yakitori Taisho. Kamui Den is a good place if you want cozy/divey but I haven't been there in ages.

Avoid Sharaku, Shima, and Sapporo East: all are crap. Yes the portions are big at Sharaku and all 3 have been in biz a while but that means nothing because the food sucks (the sushi is worse than the cooked items). Soba Ya, Yama and Japonica are overrated. Avoid "iconic hand rolls" as they don't hold a candle to Kotan which originally occupied the space, and I hear they might be closed anyway.

The Loop in Gramercy is Ok if you don't want traditional sushi rolls, sushi is fresh but not the best quality, but with all the tasty/clever crap they put in the rolls you might not notice and it's not too expensive. It's a waste to use high-quality fish and cover it up with a million roll ingredients, but mediocre but fresh sushi is fine for this sort of thing and they do a decent job of it at the Loop. If you want quanity and not neccesarily quality there's New Ashia, but I'd recommend "East Japanese Restaurant" in Gramercy for Kaiten (conveyor belt) sushi.

If you want vegan sushi go to Beyond Sushi on 14th street, it's surprisingly delicious and very creative.

I *THINK* it might be possible to get a lunch set (non-omakase) at Sushi Yasuda and 15 East for under $50 if you want to go to high-end just don't expect large amounts.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:38 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,204 times
Ootoya.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:00 AM

483 posts, read 870,251 times
If willing to take nice trip to downtown Brooklyn near Barclays Center, check Ganso on Bond Street.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:04 AM

506 posts, read 1,011,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
I can only speak about places in the EV.

Quality sushi isn't cheap but there's a lot of good places that you can get a non-omakase meal for under $50. Yuba is the best for the price, Kanoyama good but overrated for non-omakase, and Bugs is an interesting new place. I'd recommend Hasaki for cooked items but not sushi (more expensive than Yuba but not nearly as good). Yuba is run by a former Masa sushi chef and the fish quality is superb (which is why they have a Michelin recommendation), it doesn't cost an arm and a leg because it's a small, modest restaurant and you're not paying a premium for atmosphere. No BS, just high quality fish although the frills are available if you want to pay extra for it (omakase starts at $50).

For an izakaya go to Blue Ribbon Izakaya, Village Yokocho or Yakitori Taisho. Kamui Den is a good place if you want cozy/divey but I haven't been there in ages.

Avoid Sharaku, Shima, and Sapporo East: all are crap. Yes the portions are big at Sharaku and all 3 have been in biz a while but that means nothing because the food sucks (the sushi is worse than the cooked items). Soba Ya, Yama and Japonica are overrated. Avoid "iconic hand rolls" as they don't hold a candle to Kotan which originally occupied the space, and I hear they might be closed anyway.

The Loop in Gramercy is Ok if you don't want traditional sushi rolls, sushi is fresh but not the best quality, but with all the tasty/clever crap they put in the rolls you might not notice and it's not too expensive. It's a waste to use high-quality fish and cover it up with a million roll ingredients, but mediocre but fresh sushi is fine for this sort of thing and they do a decent job of it at the Loop. If you want quanity and not neccesarily quality there's New Ashia, but I'd recommend "East Japanese Restaurant" in Gramercy for Kaiten (conveyor belt) sushi.

If you want vegan sushi go to Beyond Sushi on 14th street, it's surprisingly delicious and very creative.

I *THINK* it might be possible to get a lunch set (non-omakase) at Sushi Yasuda and 15 East for under $50 if you want to go to high-end just don't expect large amounts.
This guy knows his sushi! I second all of these. Any other recommendations I'd have would be out of the price range.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:52 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
I love Yama!

Old 07-15-2013, 01:24 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Sushi Gallery right off the Clark 2/3 stop in Brooklyn Heights within the subway complex/former Hotel St. George has surprisingly good quality sushi for its price. There's nothing weirdly inventive or complex here, but it's solid and affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City