Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 02:26 PM

398 posts, read 1,391,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dre View Post
I'm from Tompkins and I grew up in that era of crack and crime. From what I always heard, Louis pink houses in ENY and a lot of projects in brownsville, harlem, and bronx were the worst. Tompkins was terrie regardless. Same with Marcy. Tompkins was worse though. My friend tried his hand at selling crack and by the fifth day of selling he got shot in the elevator. He survived thankfully and even more thankfully he gave up drug dealing after that.
That's crazy about what happened to your friend. I'm from Jersey City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 02:37 PM

88 posts, read 304,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revis Island View Post
That's crazy about what happened to your friend. I'm from Jersey City
I'm telling you my man it was like the Wild West back then. And that's cool Jersey city is like 2 seconds away from the 5 boroughs.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:06 PM

420 posts, read 697,709 times
Quote:
Pink Houses.
Damn how could I forget the legendary Pink Houses?

As of 2004 it still had the same crime rate as it did in 86! I don't know whats going on around there now.

I know they had the nerve to put a big ass high class multiplex theater like a block away. I think this place may have been worse than Fort Greene, because Fort Greene cats were people are looking to rob. In Pink Houses, people were looking to kill! Most only heard stories of Pink Houses because its way off the beaten path. But this place was certified BAD. Not worse than Red Hook though.

Last edited by ROAM; 07-22-2013 at 03:22 PM..

Old 07-22-2013, 08:06 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,014 times
Don't forget some recent terrible news out of ENY (all this week alone)

Girl, 16, Lured to Brooklyn Roof, Raped, Thrown Off Building: Cops | NBC New York

and

Teen slain in East New York shooting - NYPOST.com

Old 07-22-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM NYC View Post
Damn how could I forget the legendary Pink Houses?

As of 2004 it still had the same crime rate as it did in 86! I don't know whats going on around there now.

I know they had the nerve to put a big ass high class multiplex theater like a block away. I think this place may have been worse than Fort Greene, because Fort Greene cats were people are looking to rob. In Pink Houses, people were looking to kill! Most only heard stories of Pink Houses because its way off the beaten path. But this place was certified BAD. Not worse than Red Hook though.
Idk how bad red hook was exactly so I can't speak on that. Was the neighborhood of red hook ever that bad though? And I used to know a guy in pink houses. He got killed in 08 though I think. He wasn't really my friend. He was my friends friend. He got shot a while back and was paralyzed so he was put in a wheelchair. Then in 08 he got killed in pink houses. When I heard he got shot and paralyzed I decided to really motivate myself to work hard and get out of my situation. And I did.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:32 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
Both incidents happened on Miller Avenue.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:37 PM

It seems that the general consensus from what I've seen on this website is that the used to be terrible neighborhoods in New York City are a lot better than they use to be. I haven't been to NYC since I moved so I wouldn't know. And I looked at the crime statistics of today and compared them to the crime statistics during the crack wars and it's like comparing night and day.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:44 PM

420 posts, read 697,709 times
Quote:
Was the neighborhood of red hook ever that bad though?
Nah, not at all. The actual Red Hook neighborhood has always been mellowed out as far as I know.

Quote:
It seems that the general consensus from what I've seen on this website is that the used to be terrible neighborhoods in New York City are a lot better than they use to be. I haven't been to NYC since I moved so I wouldn't know. And I looked at the crime statistics of today and compared them to the crime statistics during the crack wars and it's like comparing night and day.
Yeah, the crime started to cool once Giuliani trained massive amounts of police, dropped them on the street, and invented all types of new laws. That had cats scared to come outside, much less do crime.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:48 PM

It's hard for me to say what's the worst in brooklyn between bed stuy and other neighborhoods(personally I'd say bed stuy because I experienced it first hand)but in manhattan it was definitely harlem. I used to spend quite of bit of time there since my father and his side of the family lived there. I spent more time in bed stuy though. But harlem was the worst. You can pick and choose which precint because they were all very bad. Harlem might've been the worst in the city. Washington heights was very bad too. But harlem was probably worse if I had to say. I've never been to Washington heights so I couldn't tell you exactly. I could tell you some real horror stories about harlem and bed stuy but I'm not like that. I'm sure there's enough stories about the two areas online anyway.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM NYC View Post
Nah, not at all. The actual Red Hook neighborhood has always been mellowed out as far as I know.

Yeah, the crime started to cool once Giuliani trained massive amounts of police, dropped them on the street, and invented all types of new laws. That had cats scared to come outside, much less do crime.
So it was just the projects that was bad there? And yeah I give Rudy a lot of credit. And what about harlem? I'd say st. Nicholas houses were the worst there. One of the worst in the city too in my opinion. But then again that was really the only project I spent time in when I was ever in harlem lol so my knowledge on that might be limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City