U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-20-2013, 06:24 PM

3,758 posts, read 2,082,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
There is no way ENY had no shootings, murders etc. in a year. If there is one hood I know well, it's this one.
Article only covers a small area just north of starrett city. Still hard to believe not a single shooting in a year.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 07:25 PM

279 posts, read 693,241 times
There is no way I am buying the facts put forth in that article.No murders?? Very small possibility. No shootings...NO WAY,unless when I am visiting Starrett there are alot of fireworks being blown off. Even in the winter? I am ashamed the Times would print that.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:16 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,807,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Article only covers a small area just north of starrett city. Still hard to believe not a single shooting in a year.
Starrett City [Now Spring Creek Towers] is arguably the safest section of ENY.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:58 PM

3,758 posts, read 2,082,138 times
Not sure how accurate spotcrime is, but it shows 2 shootings (both on stanley ave) over the past year in the said area covered by the article.

SpotCrime Crime Map

Old 07-20-2013, 10:12 PM

10,356 posts, read 18,805,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Not sure how accurate spotcrime is, but it shows 2 shootings (both on stanley ave) over the past year in the said area covered by the article.

SpotCrime Crime Map
Stanley Avenue is the projects....just saying

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-22-2013, 08:13 AM

394 posts, read 505,821 times
I did a little more research and I would probably say Bed stuy was the worst. Today it's brownsville even though its still a lot better than before. Brownsville could've be the worst though. Because it does not cover a huge area or anything like that.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:37 AM

420 posts, read 264,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revis Island View Post
It's between Bed Stuy, East New York, and Brownsville. East NY and Bed Stuy used to get 100 murders every year back then. Brownsville wasn't as murderous but I think it suffered from more decay and poverty. In manhattan it's between Harlem and Washington Heights. In 1990 I believe they had 115 murders. What part of harlem was the worst? What precint? I'd say 23rd was really bad after looking at some statistics. Ive only been in harlem once to visit some family in the early 80s I believe and a lot of people were looking at me like they wanted to kill me for some reason. It was scary man. But luckily my cousin was with me who was a cop. I only went there because my moms cousin was sick. Her and her sister were some of the few italians in east harlem that I saw.
How you gon ask the question AND answer it, baby! Leave this to the experts, baby!

Being a streetist since 1981, with brothers in the street since the early 70's, I can tell you that in the 80's BED-STUY reigned supreme in vileness followed by BUSHWICK, FORT GREENE (near the projects), and then BROWNSVILLE.

In the 80's and early 90s I can't tell you how many times I've seen people robbing or getting robbed, burglarizing or being burglarized, escaping the precinct, street fighting, knife fighting over $2.00, or even busting their gun in broad daylight.. this was just part of normal life. I didn't even think of it as crime! BEDFORD STUYVESANT was FAMOUS citywide for the amount this behavior was amplified by.

BUSHWICK was hardcore because there was only one police precinct to cover about 90% of it, and my Ricans loved gang ****. So when you add gangs, drugs and no police. Not to mention an en"fry"ronment that got burned down in 1977, guess what you get. (See TIME magazine "Worst neighborhood in AMERICA" article from sometime in '88.)

BROWNSVILLE was bad mostly because of the density of the people. People packed together like sardines and no one has any money. But in those days Brownsville was more known for thieves and burglary than outright robbery, even though that did go on.

FORT GREENE. What can I say? Only GUNS. They tried to lock down the downtown Brooklyn area and bar people from coming there to commit crime beause they wanted to the pie for themselves. They were constantly at war with BED-STUY on this issue. Famous for loose small gangs of robbers and plenty of shooters. There's a reason FORT GREENE PJs was the first project to get truncated in the millennium. The city vacated and shut down two large buildings.

One thing I wanna add is back then everything int he city was totally different than now, now people busting their gun and what not are mostly knuckleheads doing crime for crime's sake. Back then a good portion of people were just trying to get by and you'd be suprised at their levels of intelligence.

Like I said in another post, from my perspective, all that wild, out of control criminal **** started to curb around 92-93-ish, and by 1995, that was like a time long forgotten.

Hope I was of help.

Last edited by ROAM; 07-22-2013 at 11:00 AM..

Old 07-22-2013, 01:47 PM

394 posts, read 505,821 times
Huge help. Thank you. Any analysis of East New York? And yeah back then I'd say bed stuy too. What about marcy and Tompkins? How bad were they?

Old 07-22-2013, 02:44 PM

420 posts, read 264,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revis Island View Post
Huge help. Thank you. Any analysis of East New York? And yeah back then I'd say bed stuy too. What about marcy and Tompkins? How bad were they?

Most projects were bad and pretty much unpoliceable in those times. I mean you have your upstanding families and working people that make up the majority of every project, but when people that live a floor apart are out in the courtyard or even the STAIRCASE busting their guns at each other over "turf", then you have to be wary even coming down into the lobby.

That said, things were OK in the projects before crack and **** like that, because thats what broke down people's morals. Before that, there would be little isolated robberies, lil thuggery and isht like that, but not much because 1) the older cats with influence would handle them 2) everyone knew where everyone lived and people knew who was/wasn't an outsider. There was more of a community thing popping. Once drugs, and more importantly, the MONEY came into to play, people cared less abut the whole and went for self with a "I'ma get mine" attitude. That's when things got wild.

Tompkins and Marcy in particular? People were busting their gun in both. From my understanding, Tompkins PJ was worse than Marcy in terms of criminality in the area. The most infamous of them all was the monstrous RED HOOK. 1980's Red Hook legends still make old timers on this side of Brooklyn tremble. Because they were the largest PJ in BK and did things little more unified as group. If you weren't from the HOOK you should not go there! Tell your girl to move if she wants you to see her!

As for ENY yea it was bad, at one time it was known for like crazy-ish people. Like psychopathic thugs, I don't know if it was just myth or because of the fact that there were a lot of shelters there that held mental people. I never had reason to venture out in that direction much. ENY was gun happy though, especially in the early 90s.

Last edited by ROAM; 07-22-2013 at 02:58 PM..

Old 07-22-2013, 03:19 PM

88 posts, read 83,590 times
I'm from Tompkins and I grew up in that era of crack and crime. From what I always heard, Louis pink houses in ENY and a lot of projects in brownsville, harlem, and bronx were the worst. Tompkins was terrie regardless. Same with Marcy. Tompkins was worse though. My friend tried his hand at selling crack and by the fifth day of selling he got shot in the elevator. He survived thankfully and even more thankfully he gave up drug dealing after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City