Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 02:28 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
my wife told me she experienced similar 'male attention' when she was in Rome
I believe that there is a photo of this incident!
American Girl in Italy | Iconic Photos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 02:32 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
Sorry, I kind of brought it full circle with my edits. I tried, anyhow.

I think if I were a woman I'd probably make myself as unapproachable as possible, too. Sure, maybe every now and then a woman is approached by a guy she would like to be approached by, but what about the other 99 out of 100 times? Not worth it, I bet.
Yeah, I think you're right. But also, I think during the day, especially during work hours, most people are trying to get where they gotta go...run errands during lunchtime or something and don't have the time to be approached. I know when I'm in a hurry I just wanna go where I gotta go. I don't think most women intend to give off the "don't talk to me" vibe.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:17 PM

338 posts, read 676,882 times
Dude. Don't. Just don't. Take from a woman. Don't. Not on the street, not on the train. ESPECIALLY not if they have headphones on. Seriously, women hate this s***. We get it ALL THE TIME. Any even remotely attractive woman has been approached by many hotter and mor charming guys than you, with much better game. That's what you're dealing with and why women have so many walls up in public in NYC. We've heard it ALL. If some dude who wanted to hit on me made me lift my headphones to hear his line, I'd probably scream--that is the height of rudeness. Go away and stop forcing us to acknowledge you on the street, or while trapped in a metal subway car.

If you want to meet womenm FIND AN ACTIVITY. Join a team (my soccer team has had a ton of intra-team couples). Or go to a bar.

Quote:
Go by percentages and volume.
Hit on every possible girl in the street.
Even if you are a loser and have a 1% success rate, if you hit on 1,000 girls, thats still 10 girls.
If you do this, you are: 1) An a****** who is perpetuating the huge problem of street harassment that women face and basically making us hate all male strangers; and 2) a selfish a******, because if women become even more suspicious of men, that makes it even harder for the rest of you. Don't do this.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:13 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Apart from potential creepiness, in NYC, most people on the street are on their way somewhere, and chances are that they're in a hurry. Try someplace where you have the opportunity of striking up a conversation first.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:24 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella Hero View Post
It seems like the girls I want to speak with are the ones most likely to be playing a video game on their phone while walking or pretend talking on their phone.
How do you know these women are "pretend talking" on the phone?

Old 07-16-2013, 06:41 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
I've witnessed guys get numbers from girls who were wearing headphones before the approach. I even seen one dude tell a girl he didn't know to hang up the phone as his first sentence. He ended up getting the number and later hooking up with her that week. At the end of the day, either she's interested or she's not, so her wearing headphones or not won't really make a difference if she didn't find you attractive in the first place. When a girl likes you, chances are she won't kill you for taking 5 minutes of her time, it's that simple.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:43 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Apart from potential creepiness, in NYC, most people on the street are on their way somewhere, and chances are that they're in a hurry. Try someplace where you have the opportunity of striking up a conversation first.
This.

I don't mind at all if a man approaches me respectfully (hint: "hello, how are you" is respectful. "oo damn u sexy" is not.). What I do mind is if he keeps talking and ignores that I'm trying to get away from him. Most women won't make any attempt to further the conversation unless they're into you.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:03 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
Btw...it's only harassment if the girl says No. Just sayin.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:57 PM

19 posts, read 30,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernski View Post
You answerered your own question here, bro. Now get your clothes, consistently groom, and be an Alpha.

Yes.

I wondered why so many young women on earphones/headphones and on mobile when walking and no other group was. Did a search and found this "Street Harassment". Was wondering if this pose was just to divert the sketchy and still leave room for a sincere ask.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:01 PM

19 posts, read 30,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't get it. If you already have a 50% success rate, then you are rather good at this. I would not think that you would have to stop women on the street when they are walking with headphones or speaking on the phone. And also why the subway is harder than the street? I am not in my 20's anymore so I am not your target audience, but one thing I learned while living in NY is NOT TO STOP on the sidewalk for people asking me stuff. This is learned behavior from having been asked too many times for money, signatures, craziness, etc.

I just don't understand why you can't meet them in the coffee shop, bookstore, subway (if they are reading a book you can comment on) etc. All of those places would seem to be a much better bet than stopping people who are walking somewhere with headphones in.

You say you don't have friends and have to do this, but no, you really don't have to stop women who are on the phone. There are dozens of other scenarios per day that would be better. IMHO.

I had no one to compare to so didn't know. Earphones, subway can have girls I want to talk to, otherwise I am limited to those without headphones on. Subway is a little closed in for me. Stores would seem better but I find them awkward. Maybe it is better for the girl. Girls walk reading books too!

I don't stop anyone, I say something friendly. Of all the women Ive spoken to, only one at a Bus Stop got squirrely when I asked her for her number. I dropped the subject immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City