U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 11:15 PM

17 posts, read 46,047 times

Advertisements

I'm going to check out a studio apartment in Fort Greene tomorrow. I just started my apartment hunt and this is the first time I'm going to an apartment viewing in NYC. I've been through the drill in smaller cities but nothing as major as New York. I'm going through a broker (unfortunately) and he's going to show me the place. I originally contacted him in response to an ad on padmapper.com, but that unit was rented so he's offered me a few other ones in the same price range. He's offered to meet me tomorrow but he said he'll email me the address in the morning (??). I'd just like to know what to expect. Could someone run me through the drill of a legit apartment viewing in NYC just so I can be safe and confident?

Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 11:41 PM

2,155 posts, read 2,318,368 times
Well Brokers have a bad rep which is why you said unfortunately. Im a broker myself, what i can tell you is yes a lot of agents bait and switch with pics, April-oct is hot season so apts do go fast, i would suggest if you do like something dont hesitate.

Alot of people are blind and think NO FEE apts with outbrokes,etc. This is how it works if an apt $2000 with a brokers fee then that same apt would be $2400 as a NO FEE, now you times that $400 x 12 and you are actually paying a bit more than a brokers fee would have been. But thats another story.

I would say just because a certain company has a bad reputation it doesnt mean all the agents are bad, if agent is pushy and rude and somewhat cold hearted you might not like the experience and maybe try someone else. Have a lot of questions to ask. Most importantly get your paper work together asap (if you're seeing a place tomorrow) then i assume you have it together. Nothing worse than a client who thinks an apt will be there later in the week and then when its gone somehow blame the agent,etc.

Fees are negotiable unless they are co brokes then you're outta luck and will have to pay 15%

If you have an questions you dont want made public shoot me a private message.

Goodluck.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:20 PM

7,260 posts, read 7,364,931 times
Safe? What exactly are you worried about?

Just don't be bullied into anything. Don't grab onto the first thing too quickly, because it may take a while for you just to understand what you're really looking for, what you really need. You probably won't have all the elements you want, so think about what's essential to you - e.g. a quiet block, or a good kitchen, or proximity to subway, or a lot of light, or good closets.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:30 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,380,212 times
Your broker never had original apt. He just used it as a front for his ad to obtain you as a client.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:51 AM

211 posts, read 263,358 times
I just went through the process and for me it was horrendous. I have to say though my experience was unusually, because my broker and the landlord in an apt I wanted had a miscommunication.

I will say if using a broker try and see if they have exclusive rights to the listing, that way when you are viewing the apts you do not have to worry about other brokers also showing it and possibly losing the apt you would like. Have all your paperwork ready and if you like an apt put down a deposit. I waited 2 hours to think over an apt and list it because in that time someone else came and put down a deposit.

Be open minded and do a google search of the neighborhoods you are interested in and then go and walk around the area. I eventually ended up in a neighborhood that I never thought about. It is not my ideal location, but I love the apt and the rent was below my budget so that was something I was willing to compromise on.

Remember you will not get everything you want so make sure to be realistic in your expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City