U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is "Uptown?"
Manhattan north of 59th Street 45 45.00%
Morningside Heights, Harlem, Wash Heights, Inwood 37 37.00%
Option # 2 + Bronx 16 16.00%
The Bronx 2 2.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2013, 07:14 PM

9,923 posts, read 7,687,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
So the city has a downtown and a midtown, but the area above midtown, which includes Upper East Side and Upper West Side, for some reason is not Uptown; Uptown is not even a part of the city. Terminologically this makes no sense. And as someone who has lived in the City for 15 years I can tell you that I have never thought of it this way.
You learn something new every year your here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 09:37 PM

2,252 posts, read 2,452,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You learn something new every year your here.
Well, the poll results (so far) are overwhelmingly against you so I wouldn't sound so self-assured.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:02 PM

1,682 posts, read 2,627,154 times
Quote:
So the city has a downtown and a midtown, but the area above midtown, which includes Upper East Side and Upper West Side, for some reason is not Uptown; Uptown is not even a part of the city. Terminologically this makes no sense. And as someone who has lived in the City for 15 years I can tell you that I have never thought of it this way.
I believe the terminology Upper in the UES/UWS predates the heavy development Uptown. Geographically those two areas are not Upper, they are centrally located in Manhattan. Alongside Central Park.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:08 PM

27,612 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Saying "Uptown" back when the term was created, was just another way to separate the UWS & the UES from the poorer areas, to be honest. That's probably why a lot of people have this notion that the two areas aren't apart of "Uptown" when they are in fact. At least in my head. I understand it's a completely different feel when you leave both the UWS/UES, but still they are not apart of Midtown. Lol, Upper Midtown perhaps?
It's actually the same thing in DC and Philly. Technically, Capitol Hill is in Southeast DC. But no one thinks of it as being "Southeast." Fairmount/Art Museum is technically in North Philly, but no one thinks of it as being "North Philly." The distinctions may seem superficial to some, but they are very real and meaningful to many others.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm not even gonna argue....if you from the hood, we call uptown Harlem and the Bronx.
I didn't want to be the one to open that can of worms, but yeah, basically.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:41 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,860,810 times
Upper East Side and Upper West Side. I don't really consider Harlem, Washington Heights, and Inwood Uptown, but I consider them to be Upper Manhattan.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:10 AM

2,853 posts, read 6,253,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
I think people that consider 59th St + "Uptown" have little experience with Upper Manhattan and fail to realize just how large an area it is. Nor have they truly experienced the Bronx.

That's interesting considering if asked from a definition perspective, I think 59th St and north is what means uptown. Yet my family is from the Bronx and I'm in the Bronx a couple times a month. I grew up in NY myself and I've lived in many different neighborhoods. In my mind I divide downtown, midtown, uptown, and upper Manhattan. Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn are separate.

Though as we all probably know, arguing semantics isn't necessarily worthwhile in threads like this.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:10 AM

2,252 posts, read 2,452,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
I believe the terminology Upper in the UES/UWS predates the heavy development Uptown. Geographically those two areas are not Upper, they are centrally located in Manhattan. Alongside Central Park.
Yes we all know they are centrally located. But when they were being developed they were at the northern/upper end of Manhattan's developed footprint. That is why they are called Upper East Side and Upper West Side. So why on earth, when development only stretched through (or not even) the northern end of Central Park and Manhattan already had a recognized Downtown and Midtown, would UES and UWS not have been considered Uptown?

Old 07-17-2013, 06:11 AM

9,923 posts, read 7,687,681 times
Quote:
Well, the poll results (so far) are overwhelmingly against you so I wouldn't sound so self-assured.
I stand corrected. Just find it difficult to say, for example, that I'm going to the philharmonic in uptown.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Upper East Side and Upper West Side. I don't really consider Harlem, Washington Heights, and Inwood Uptown, but I consider them to be Upper Manhattan.
Well, if anything, this thread is a testament to the diversity of a city as large as New York.

Harlem is by far the first place that comes to mind when I think "Uptown." Jimmy's Uptown was a staple in Harlem for many years. Then there's the song "Uptown Anthem" recorded for the movie "Juice," which is set in Harlem. There's also a documentary called Uptown: A Tribute to the Apollo Theatre. I think the different perceptions of "Uptown" are summed up nicely below:

Quote:
"Uptown" can mean a lot of things, depending on who you're talking to. If you're talking to a 20something with full sleeve tattoos it probably means anything north of 14th Street, but effectively means the Upper West and Upper East Sides (since Midtown doesn't really have a residential culture to speak of). Both these neighborhoods are significantly more "upscale/residential/establishment" in their various ways, not least because they haven't been home to either tenements, factories or warehouses in the last 100+ years. These are residential neighborhoods that have been residential neighborhoods for a long time, and this is where most of the large cultural institutions are. There is not much "alt culture" on the Upper West and Upper East Sides, and not much 20something culture to speak of (that doesn't really get started again until Columbia). To make a large generality, the UWS is liberal intellectuals while the UES is conservative establishment. Historically speaking, "Uptown" went from 59th Street to the top of Central Park.

On the other hand, for most African-Americans, "uptown" means Harlem (although historically this would have been called "Upper Manhattan"). This doesn't mean that the UWS and UES are "downtown" -- just that they're not "uptown" in this paradigm. Which is to say that, if you tell one of your African-American friends you're going to be going out for dinner "uptown" they're probably thinking 125th Street rather than 75th Street.
I would say the same is true for many Hispanics as well, not just African Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or