U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is "Uptown?"
Manhattan north of 59th Street 45 45.00%
Morningside Heights, Harlem, Wash Heights, Inwood 37 37.00%
Option # 2 + Bronx 16 16.00%
The Bronx 2 2.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2013, 10:23 AM

559 posts, read 751,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
The Bronx uptown?.... since when?

Next thing you'll hear is that some people call their Harlem neighborhood 'Manhattan Valley'

The uptown & downtown designations apply only to Manhattan. (Downtown Brooklyn would be the only exception)
The Bronx is definitely included in what is considered uptown. When I lived in the Bronx in the 70s, we always used those terms to indicate the direction we were going. If we went to 34th street to shop, we said we were going downtown to shop. It was different for queens and Brooklyn for sure. They always referred to it as going to the city.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Staten Island doesn't flow out of Manhattan the way the Bronx does. Continuation of the grid and short bridges over the Harlem River. Nor are the demographics, build, architecture the same in regards to SI v Downtown. It's hard to describe. Upper Manhattan and the Bronx are the most closely related areas of the city on two separate boroughs.

As someone who has lived/grew up in Manhattan and the Bronx, I have always considered the Bronx+Upper Manhattan, Uptown.
Definitely agree.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:26 AM

19,136 posts, read 32,681,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
The Bronx is definitely included in what is considered uptown. When I lived in the Bronx in the 70s, we always used those terms to indicate the direction we were going. If we went to 34th street to shop, we said we were going downtown to shop. It was different for queens and Brooklyn for sure. They always referred to it as going to the city.
And when I used to chill in Harlem in the mid 90s, if we were going to the Bronx, we still said we were going uptown.....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-27-2013, 10:27 AM

420 posts, read 548,951 times
The Bronx is uptown. Uptown in its traditional sense begins when you cross 110th Street in Manhattan.

In the MTA sense, anything past 60th street is uptown.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Uptown is north of 59th street. I have never, in all my life of living in the city, have heard someone refer to the Bronx as uptown. There's a reason subway stops say Uptown AND the Bronx. To me, and I think to most NYers as well, Uptown, Midtown, and Downtown are all Manhattan terms, with the exception of downtown Brooklyn. I think the only real debate for most people is whether or not Harlem, morningside heights and inwood are considered uptown. I personally don't think of those nieghborhoods as uptown, but I guess they technically are.
Those sign are recent. The older ones that were tiled into the walls of te stations on the D and 4 trains used to say only Uptown and Downtown.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:21 AM

46 posts, read 175,640 times
I consider uptown any street North of 125th.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:14 PM

2,575 posts, read 1,894,297 times
It seems the poll winner at this time for what is considered Uptown is "Manhattan North of 59th St".

FWIW Google Map defines Upper Manhattan as starting on E. 96th St. on the east side and W. 110th St. on the west side. Then it follows the natural border of the island separating it with the water and doesn't include the Bronx.

Google Map also defines the borders for the Upper East Side, Upper West Side and East Harlem.

Upper East Side: E. 59th St. - E. 96th St. (Yorkville is included in this between E. 76th St. and E. 96th St. with the East River and 3rd Ave.)

Upper West Side: W. 59th St - W. 110th St. (except for between Columbia Ave. & 8th Ave. the border is moved to W. 60th St.

East Harlem: E. 96th St. - W. 143rd St. with the Harlem and East River on one side and 5th Ave. on the other side. (In the area before E. 110th St. I can see some places also called Upper Yorkville)

Old 03-07-2014, 04:38 PM

9,916 posts, read 7,681,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
FWIW Google Map defines Upper Manhattan as starting on E. 96th St. on the east side and W. 110th St. on the west side. Then it follows the natural border of the island separating it with the water and doesn't include the Bronx.
That's right. The poll is wrong. Depending on perspective, some would include the Bronx in the definition.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:00 PM

852 posts, read 810,052 times
The poll is right. Google maps is inaccurate when it comes to boundaries such as this. Look up Astoria, Queens on google maps, it tells you Queens plaza North, queensbridge, along with many other parts of LIC are Astoria. At the same time, google also say Ditmars is not part of Astoria, which is crazy. Like I said, the poll right, google maps is wrong.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:14 PM

9,916 posts, read 7,681,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
The poll is right. Google maps is inaccurate when it comes to boundaries such as this. Look up Astoria, Queens on google maps, it tells you Queens plaza North, queensbridge, along with many other parts of LIC are Astoria. At the same time, google also say Ditmars is not part of Astoria, which is crazy. Like I said, the poll right, google maps is wrong.
I consider Astoria to start at around 36th ave or basically if it is zip code 11101 than it is LIC. I agree that Ditmars and Steinway as sections of Astoria. Astoria Heights, not sure whether it is Astoria or East Elmhurst since it has a Flushing zip code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or