Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is "Uptown?"
Manhattan north of 59th Street 45 45.00%
Morningside Heights, Harlem, Wash Heights, Inwood 37 37.00%
Option # 2 + Bronx 16 16.00%
The Bronx 2 2.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 04:40 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Uptown is north of approximately 110th st in Manhattan and continues into part of the West and South Bronx, IMO, and many others that grew up in Queens or Brooklyn.

The song "Uptown Girl" and wearing a pair of "Uptown" sneakers are two very different things.
If uptown is north of 110th, then what is 59th to 110th? Midtown? Neither?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,686,373 times
50th on up

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
I find the thought of the Queensboro Bridge, Lincoln Center, the Museum of Nat History, MMoA, Hunter College being Uptown humorous.

When I think Uptown I think 125th, the Cloisters, WaHi, Yankee Stadium, Fordham Rd, Bronx Zoo, ect.

Then again, I never refer to Manhattan South of Harlem as the city. Stupidest designation ever and I grew up here. So it really is POV I guess.
I totally agree with you. There's no way 59th or 66th st etc is uptown. To me that's midtown. Uptown starts in harlem, wherever you feel it starts and definitely includes the bronx.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:44 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
On the West Side, I call anything north of 59th Street to Morningside Heights the "UWS." On the East Side, I call anything north of 59th Street to 96th Street the "UES." Everything after that point is "Uptown."

If someone told me they were moving "Uptown," W. 78th Street would not come to mind. I'd expect that person to say, "By the way, I'm moving to the Upper West Side."

Old 07-16-2013, 04:52 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,912 times
I think people that consider 59th St + "Uptown" have little experience with Upper Manhattan and fail to realize just how large an area it is. Nor have they truly experienced the Bronx.

I can understand someone saying "I am headed Uptown" when traveling from say the FiDi to the Village. They are geographically moving North or Uptown. However, I considerthe Uptown area of NYC to include neighborhoods north of 96th/110th St into the Bronx.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
On the West Side, I call anything north of 59th Street to Morningside Heights the "UWS." On the East Side, I call anything north of 59th Street to 96th Street the "UES." Everything after that point is "Uptown."

If someone told me they were moving "Uptown," W. 78th Street would not come to mind. I'd expect that person to say, "By the way, I'm moving to the Upper West Side."
Couple things.

First, I realize we are just talking about naming conventions, but it doesn't make sense to have a 50 block gap between where Midtown ends and Uptown begins.

Second, Manhattan grew from the bottom up and the most densely populated neighborhoods traditionally used to be downtown. So historically the UWS and UES would certainly have been perceived by most people as "Uptown".

That said, as this thread is showing, this is clearly a matter of perception. Someone who has lived their entire life in Hamilton Heights may not think of the UWS as uptown. Conversely, someone living on Fulton Street might think of anything north of 14th street or 34th street as uptown.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:04 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,155 times
Quote:
In my head 59th Street and above is Uptown.

From 14th to 59th Street that's Midtown.

From 14th street and below that's Downtown/Lower Manhattan.

Regardless of where a lot of landmarks fall, that doesn't take away the fact that they're still Uptown. Saying "Upper Manhattan" (though I don't hear that often) would undoubtedly mean Harlem, Washington Height, etc.

Saying "Uptown" back when the term was created, was just another way to separate the UWS & the UES from the poorer areas, to be honest. That's probably why a lot of people have this notion that the two areas aren't apart of "Uptown" when they are in fact. At least in my head. I understand it's a completely different feel when you leave both the UWS/UES, but still they are not apart of Midtown. Lol, Upper Midtown perhaps?

The Bronx to me like I said is another story.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
In my head 59th Street and above is Uptown.

From 14th to 59th Street that's Midtown.

From 14th street and below that's Downtown/Lower Manhattan.

Regardless of where a lot of landmarks fall, that doesn't take away the fact that they're still Uptown. Saying "Upper Manhattan" (though I don't hear that often) would undoubtedly mean Harlem, Washington Height, etc.

Saying "Uptown" back when the term was created, was just another way to separate the UWS & the UES from the poorer areas, to be honest. That's probably why a lot of people have this notion that the two areas aren't apart of "Uptown" when they are in fact. At least in my head. I understand it's a completely different feel when you leave both the UWS/UES, but still they are not apart of Midtown. Lol, Upper Midtown perhaps?

The Bronx to me like I said is another story.
This is precisely how I have always thought of it (including the distinction between "Uptown" and "Upper Manhattan"). You nailed it.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:09 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,912 times
UWS/UES are just that. Uptown is north of those areas in my POV.

UWS/UES were names coined at a time when major development reached those areas. They were at that time in fact the Upper East and West Sides. Now along with Central Park they are located in central Manhattan.

NYC has no official neighborhood boundaries in most cases. As a result most is POV I agree with that. Few areas have strict boundaries; like Inwood, Kingsbridge, City Island, Norwood, Woodlawn, Highbridge, Coney Island, Red Hook. Areas change too. See the Upper East Side slowly invade East Harlem from the South and along Central Park.

There are also more differences in build when comparing 59th to 96th/110th v 96th/110th into the Bronx. The West Bronx and much of the East near the elevated rapid transit lines is more similar in build to Manhattan north of 96th/110th then that part of Manhattan is to areas along side the park (UES/UWS). So the distinction goes beyond demographic differences.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 07-16-2013 at 05:21 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 05:31 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,220 times
Quote:
"The city," along with the rest of Manhattan that is south of 59th st. Uptown is not part of "the city." It has more in common with the outer boros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City