U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 03:17 PM

316 posts, read 466,098 times

Advertisements

How are you on the internet if this friend won't give you any privacy? Can't you email someone from home about your situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 03:36 PM

5,473 posts, read 9,197,604 times
This could be one of those human trafficking cases.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:02 PM

10 posts, read 7,479 times
Default new member-need help

I am not exactly being held against my will. I could walk out the door anytime I want. Except, I dont know the area at all, only have $5.00 in my pocket, no credit, no phone, no transportation, no family here, and only one person I am aquainted with.I havent said anything to the landlord yet, as I am still trying to get absolute verification on the rent check. I asked about the account being closed and I was asssured the check was good. I have not known this person to ever write a bad check in the past, so I am hoping it could be some kind of mistake. My gut feelings on this are not good, but it could be, I feel so uncomfortable, at the mercy of someone else. If I cant get contact with someone back home, I guess I will have no choice but to do as you say and ask the police to send me home. The bus takes a minimum of 3-4 days to get there, and I am seriously concerned about owing for sure one, and maybe two months of rent, and by the time I get there, it will be late.To top it off, I only have the means to pay one month.In the past, I was able to trust the prior house/pet sitter, she flaked off somewhere with the last months rent.That is how this all started. I made arrangements for the bills to be paid and my instructions where not carried out. My best, most trustworthy, friend out there, is the one who has broken his hip, so he is of little help.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:09 PM

I have been continually trying to send email/text messages to another friends phone and computer. I dont know if they are going through.I gave them my email several times, still no reply. I dont know if they could be getting diverted,I am using my "friends" internet connection. I dont know how much of my computer he could be monitoring. I sent a text message again phone to phone, today. But, since it is my "friends" phone I am using, I doubt I will get the reply. Or, if I am given the reply, it will be many hours after the fact. This makes it difficult to get actual contact.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:19 PM

10,616 posts, read 20,750,046 times
The Travelers Aid link that Taxi Guy provided looks excellent. Did you try it?

Old 08-01-2013, 04:19 PM

It is not a human trafficing case. It is just a selfish, controlling person who doesnt know how to show love,and wants keep me here. This person is highly intelligent in some ways. I cant understand how he does not see, that treating me this way only causes hate, resentment, and huge distrust. Under these circumstances, the last thing I would ever do is stay. He seems to think that because he is financially well off and I am poor, that I would automatically want to be with him. Not true. I would rather stay broke and free, than be with someone who treats me this way. I am way too old to be treated like a child or less.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:25 PM

The travelers aid site- I sent an email to them befor I even found this site. No reply. I feel very insecure about all of this.I have never been in a situation like this befor. I dont like to call the police. It is not their job to be overgrown babysitters, but if it is the only direct route home, I will do it.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:20 PM

470 posts, read 745,187 times
daex, may I ask if you have a source of income? Maybe Social Security or some other government assistance?

I am concerned about this man you are with and his intentions. He took you away from your home, said he would pay your rent and take care of you, and apparently did not do that. Now you are unable to leave, have no money, and no knowledge of this area. You are vulnerable and he may be attempting to take advantage of you financially. If he's trying to manage your money and finances then he may just use it for himself. Alternatively, he may steal your identity and try to open lines of credit in your name. You sound like a very nice and trusting person and he may have taken advantage of that. If any of this is true, please know that it isn't your fault.

I may be wrong, but it really does not sound like this man has honest intentions. I urge you to contact the police if you want to leave and cannot do so on your own.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:35 PM

470 posts, read 745,187 times
One other resource you could try is Adult Protective Services: HRA/DSS - Our Services - Adult Protective Services

The number for the Staten Island Borough Office: 718-556-5846

Since you say you have serious health problems then you should be eligible for help from them.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:51 PM

Default new member- need help

I have SSDI pending. I have nothing financially for any one to take. All I have is a mobile home,cheap rent. A '95 toyota and my pets and one or two friends. The little bit I own, is junk as far as this guy is concerned.Personally, I count my blessings. I dont care what he thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City