U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-18-2013, 01:52 PM
 
33 posts, read 35,838 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

my girlfriend lives in washington heights too. So I'm used to that atmosphere also... I've been around...
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2013, 01:58 PM
 
1,682 posts, read 2,639,472 times
Reputation: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastHarlemGuy View Post
I'm afraid that it will go downhill... I have heard that its improving... I asked around the neighborhood, they said it's getting better... but then there are the others who say "stay away!!!" don't want to go from a bad place to a worse one... what are other options I can look at?
It has gotten better. The neighborhood was once PLAGUED with drug related crime. It has definitely improved in that regard. Housing stock has improved too in general, still a lot of shoddy occupied buildings in desperate need of renovations though.

All in all though; yes, Fordham-Bedford does suffer from many of the same concerns afflicting East Harlem. It would not be a significant change if any. Although having a larger semi private space may be of interest to you (I assume your interested in a multifamily rowhouse). Now points north of Bedford Park are a different story. The upper reaches of the neighborhood may also suffer from less social issues, closer to Bedford Park Blvd near St Ursula HS on certain streets. Stay away from East 194/6th Street area especially, hot bed for violent crime even today despite noticeable improvement.

In general, the neighborhood is a lot like Washington Heights East of Broadway. Though a little more ghetto. It's virtually reminiscent Fordham, University Heights, Tremont, Mount Hope, Mount Eden, Highbridge areas if you are familiar with those.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 02:03 PM
 
33 posts, read 35,838 times
Reputation: 12
The hot area that you mentioned is actually where I was planning to move to... guess I'm going to have to cross those plans out... what areas in the bronx are better?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 02:14 PM
 
1,682 posts, read 2,639,472 times
Reputation: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastHarlemGuy View Post
The hot area that you mentioned is actually where I was planning to move to... guess I'm going to have to cross those plans out... what areas in the bronx are better?
Priority wise, what is most important? Type of housing? Transportation? Demographics? Safety? In order?

Near there I recommend points north of Bedford Park Blvd. The problem with E 194th St area is the sheer number of Section 8 housing. Strong drug trade in that corridor and lots of youth gangs/crews. It will be like living in East Harlem all over again. In fact, that area is comparable to the worst parts of East Harlem. For a single adult male who knows that environment trying to save cash, why not; for a child, no.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 02:21 PM
 
33 posts, read 35,838 times
Reputation: 12
safety, transportation, housing, demographics
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 02:35 PM
 
1,682 posts, read 2,639,472 times
Reputation: 708
Near there neighborhoods north of Bedford Park Blvd have low crime rates minus a few buildings here and there like any neighborhood.

•Bedford Park (Officially north of 200th/D+4)
•Norwood (North of Mosholo Parkway/D+4)
•Kingsbridge (Around the 1 Train along Broadway in the Bronx)
•Marble Hill (Just north of WaHi, south of Kingsbridge/1 train)

East Bronx

•Pelham Parkway/Bronx Park East (2/5 train)
•Morris Park (5 train)
•Van Nest (2/5)
•Parkchester complex (6) (area immediately West not the greatest, however does not impact the complex)
•Allerton Ave area (2/5)
•Westchester Sq (6)
•Castle Hill (6) (Area has a bad rep not worthy of reality, just stay away from the PJs in the South)

Now these areas can be more tricky:

•Melrose (New Melrose commons developments are very nice. Brand new neighborhood)

•Courthouse/161 (4/D). On the Grand Concourse and select streets immediately adjacent.

A few pockets in Longwood, Crotona Park South/East and Mott Haven are not bad either. New constructions and renovations but it's specific streets. Same goes for areas West near the Grand Concourse and in Highbridge.

Areas East of the Hutch are nice too but far or long rides on transit (Country Club, Throgs Neck, City Island, ect). Clason Point/Harding Park is nice too, but long transit rides. Riverdale is a large area overall, most of it is far from mass transit. Areas in the Northeast Bronx 47th precinct area I am not too familiar with.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,903,817 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Near there neighborhoods north of Bedford Park Blvd have low crime rates minus a few buildings here and there like any neighborhood.

•Bedford Park (Officially north of 200th/D+4)
•Norwood (North of Mosholo Parkway/D+4)
•Kingsbridge (Around the 1 Train along Broadway in the Bronx)
•Marble Hill (Just north of WaHi, south of Kingsbridge/1 train)

East Bronx

•Pelham Parkway/Bronx Park East (2/5 train)
•Morris Park (5 train)
•Van Nest (2/5)
•Parkchester complex (6) (area immediately West not the greatest, however does not impact the complex)
•Allerton Ave area (2/5)
•Westchester Sq (6)
•Castle Hill (6) (Area has a bad rep not worthy of reality, just stay away from the PJs in the South)
Are you sure about this assessment?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 02:49 PM
 
1,682 posts, read 2,639,472 times
Reputation: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Are you sure about this assessment?
Absolutely. I grew up in the Bronx and recently moved to the East Bronx from Midtown.

I bike, jog even the South Bronx almost daily.

A lot of areas have unwarranted reputations. The OP is originally from East Harlem so he has a higher tolerance (little fear) for certain communities yet desires an area with relatively low levels of violent crime, near mass transit due to his/her family.

I tried to provide a fair list, anyone else with input please enhance it or critique. The Bronx is a large area with a lot of neighborhoods. A lot of people may have different opinions then I do as well, different tolerances.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 07-18-2013 at 03:01 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 02:58 PM
 
12,120 posts, read 27,661,994 times
Reputation: 3753
go way back to July 2007 there was a long long thread stretching into 2008 about Fordham Bedford. there was a poster named "hustla" who was very opinionated about Fordham Bedford, he eventually got kicked off the board. i don't know why he seemed to have a lot of character and charisma. but you will learn about the area if you read those old threads

I was just reading in the Norwood News about of crimes committed on Valentine, Briggs and Bainbridge Avenue all in the 198th street area it seems the impact zone ends there but there is still lot of trouble there too.

i agree once you get north of 198th street by the Ursuline campus the area improves
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
5,473 posts, read 9,238,133 times
Reputation: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
go way back to July 2007 there was a long long thread stretching into 2008 about Fordham Bedford. there was a poster named "hustla" who was very opinionated about Fordham Bedford, he eventually got kicked off the board. i don't know why he seemed to have a lot of character and charisma. but you will learn about the area if you read those old threads

I was just reading in the Norwood News about of crimes committed on Valentine, Briggs and Bainbridge Avenue all in the 198th street area it seems the impact zone ends there but there is still lot of trouble there too.

i agree once you get north of 198th street by the Ursuline campus the area improves
He was removed permanently after he made a whole lot of posts where he expressed his feelings about physically harm dobroguy on them streets of mott haven.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top