Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 09:14 AM

33 posts, read 43,105 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the area in between E. Fordham Rd. and Bedford Park Blvd. Just East of the B,D Kingsbirdge Rd. train stop. I hear Bedford Park Area is good in general, but dont hear anything about the south of it...How is this neighborhood? I'm originally from East Harlem and have lived here for most of my life before I moved from Queens, so I'm already used to a little danger. I'm currently in my mid 20's. Is it a safe area for kids or in general? Night life? And rush hours when people go and come home from work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 11:40 AM

273 posts, read 672,468 times
Sobro could give you the best info but I had a friend live in Kingsbridge. For a little while before the 2008 recession the area's real estate was getting hot but it has cooled a little. There are many large spacious aprtment buildings but nightlife is very limited and your eating options will be mostly Latino or fast food - so for a good Dominican or Puerto Rican restaurant there will be stuff. A few scattered supermarkets. Safetywise it depends where you are - closer to Riverdale it is safer in the other direction not as much. But as I said I have not been there in awhile so .

There is a growing arts community in the South Bronx and there are pockets of some older brownstones well kept and activities going on. But again varies greatly. The good part of your neighborhood is you are not too far from Wave Hill, Van Cortlandt Park (gorgeous), and th Bronx Museum (where you may find more dining options and recreational activities). Also there are plans to reuse the Kingsbridge Armory for some commercial use - it is a gorgeous building and a National Historic Landmark. So I will say your move to the area is just at the right time.

Luckily NYTimes did an article on your neighborhood - http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/re...pagewanted=all

Old 07-18-2013, 12:00 PM

thanks, I'ts just that the comments have been all over... from good to horrible...

Old 07-18-2013, 12:02 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,302,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post
Sobro could give you the best info but I had a friend live in Kingsbridge. For a little while before the 2008 recession the area's real estate was getting hot but it has cooled a little. There are many large spacious aprtment buildings but nightlife is very limited and your eating options will be mostly Latino or fast food - so for a good Dominican or Puerto Rican restaurant there will be stuff. A few scattered supermarkets. Safetywise it depends where you are - closer to Riverdale it is safer in the other direction not as much. But as I said I have not been there in awhile so .

There is a growing arts community in the South Bronx and there are pockets of some older brownstones well kept and activities going on. But again varies greatly. The good part of your neighborhood is you are not too far from Wave Hill, Van Cortlandt Park (gorgeous), and th Bronx Museum (where you may find more dining options and recreational activities). Also there are plans to reuse the Kingsbridge Armory for some commercial use - it is a gorgeous building and a National Historic Landmark. So I will say your move to the area is just at the right time.

Luckily NYTimes did an article on your neighborhood - http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/re...pagewanted=all
Since when is south of Bedford Park close to Riverdale? I guess every neighborhood in the Bronx is "close" to Riverdale these days.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:03 PM

I'm new to this forum thing... I just wanted to know if I can get a little of recommendations to stay on or off this place. Hopefully from people who know the area very well... I hear specifically the area where I'm moving in is getting better, but just talked to someone who says is getting worse... so I'm confused :s

Old 07-18-2013, 12:09 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,302,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastHarlemGuy View Post
I'm new to this forum thing... I just wanted to know if I can get a little of recommendations to stay on or off this place. Hopefully from people who know the area very well... I hear specifically the area where I'm moving in is getting better, but just talked to someone who says is getting worse... so I'm confused :s
Are you familiar with any part of the Bronx? Why are you are you so keen to moving there?

Old 07-18-2013, 12:10 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,166,913 times
Area you speak of is sometimes referred to as Fordham-Bedford.

Violent crime situation there is very similar to East Harlem. I wouldn't say it's getting worse, pretty stabilized if anything.

Lots of cheap shops on Fordham Road, great nearby parks (Poe, Bronx Park), excellent mass transit options, extremely walkable, vibrant.

Not the best area for pre-teens/teens though. For an adult it's w/e generally if your not into the ghetto lifestyle. A lot of similarities to the "hotter" parts of the Heights like 160s/Audubon area or other Grand Concourse areas to the South.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:16 PM

thinking of buying a house. Im familiar with some of the bronx, but I don't like the south bx, I think this part will be better(since the atmosphere look better)... I live in harlem so is this abou tthe same worse or better? hope that is at least a little better since im going to b away from the projects. what do you guys think?

Old 07-18-2013, 12:30 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,166,913 times
The term "South Bronx" in the context your referring to is really out of date. There's good areas in the "South Bronx" I can recommend. At the same time there are plenty of troublesome pockets, often adjacent to those areas.

Fordham-Beford shares virtually the same atmosphere as the neighborhoods to the South of it and West of Park Avenue (Fordham, University Heights, Tremont, Mount Hope, Mount Eden, Highbridge). A lot of similarities to eastern Washington Heights too (Audubon, St Nick's Wadsworth). Similar density, housing, demographics.

Neighborhoods north of Bedford Park Blvd are more consistent with areas West of Broadway in the Heights. More moderate income people.

The area your looking at has it's issues, but you said you have a high tolerance. Expect a similar situation to East Harlem/East Washington Heights despite the lack of projects, many of the people that live in Fordham-Bedford do so off Section 8. I wouldn't say no, but expect that atmosphere. Over time I see the neighborhood improving as it has been, due to investors with families like yourself. I just do not know how long it will take before it becomes more like Hudson Heights or Norwood if it does at all.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 07-18-2013 at 12:59 PM..

Old 07-18-2013, 12:51 PM

I'm afraid that it will go downhill... I have heard that its improving... I asked around the neighborhood, they said it's getting better... but then there are the others who say "stay away!!!" don't want to go from a bad place to a worse one... what are other options I can look at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City