U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2013, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
5,473 posts, read 9,242,228 times
Reputation: 2411

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Isn't Co-Op City the Bronx neighborhood that suffered terribly from White flight back in the old days?
Many jews especially from the concourse area moved to co op. But then again jews often move.altough in some parts of brooklyn the have finally found a place to stay after a history of tribulations in their home.country of europe and eastern europe geography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2013, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,904,526 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Many jews especially from the concourse area moved to co op. But then again jews often move.altough in some parts of brooklyn the have finally found a place to stay after a history of tribulations in their home.country of europe and eastern europe geography.
That's hard to believe because they've been in some parts of the city for years... The Upper East Side and Riverdale come to mind... Parts of Kingsbridge in the Bronx, a few nabes in Queens and several neighborhoods in Brooklyn too I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
5,473 posts, read 9,242,228 times
Reputation: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
That's hard to believe because they've been in some parts of the city for years... The Upper East Side and Riverdale come to mind... Parts of Kingsbridge in the Bronx, a few nabes in Queens and several neighborhoods in Brooklyn too I believe.
yes, in many places. But when i was in northern brooklyn i got that old school feeling of being in a diamond and golt area of Gdansk and upper Kiew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,904,526 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
yes, in many places. But when i was in northern brooklyn i got that old school feeling of being in a diamond and golt area of Gdansk and upper Kiew.
lol! Well that would be Greenpoint I believe, but that's been a well known Polish area for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 04:57 PM
 
12 posts, read 21,511 times
Reputation: 13
Dammit, the buildings haven't sunk at all. The landfill however is compacting, some possibly flowing out, so the sidewalks and grounds are sinking relative to the buildings. Early on this was a significant problem because utility pipes were not supported except by the ground, and as they went down with the ground they were subject to shearing stresses where they joined the buildings.

As for White Flight, Co-op City was built to capture the middle class (which was at that time predominantly white, and significantly Jewish) which was leaving NYC for suburbia. Books can be (and have been) written about what went wrong with the middle class and upper middle class neighborhoods mid-century, but with or without Co-op City people who had been living throughout the Bronx (from the South Bronx to the Concourse) and the city were going to move elsewhere, and there were good public policy reasons to encourage that elsewhere to be within the NYC limits rather than out on the Island or upstate or in New Jersey. By promising people spacious, modern apartments at impossibly low carrying charges (barely more than a typical young family's rent-controlled rent) some 55,000 people were persuaded to stop before they left the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
5,473 posts, read 9,242,228 times
Reputation: 2411
Ns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
lol! Well that would be Greenpoint I believe, but that's been a well known Polish area for years.
Polish and Ukrainians are brothers. Their history goes a long time back to europe. Many of them fled to Argentina in the mid 40'S. For reasons unknown to americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 PM
 
Location: BX
340 posts, read 1,035,294 times
Reputation: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
I was just on their website and i swear i thought there there is a Bed and Bath in Co-op City but it didn't show up on their website under store locator. does anybody know?

There is no bed bath beyond in bay plaza. there is one in mt Vernon on Sanford blvd in the target shopping center across the street from best buy. very close to the fed ex store u were at this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
5,473 posts, read 9,242,228 times
Reputation: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesler View Post
Dammit, the buildings haven't sunk at all. The landfill however is compacting, some possibly flowing out, so the sidewalks and grounds are sinking relative to the buildings. Early on this was a significant problem because utility pipes were not supported except by the ground, and as they went down with the ground they were subject to shearing stresses where they joined the buildings.

As for White Flight, Co-op City was built to capture the middle class (which was at that time predominantly white, and significantly Jewish) which was leaving NYC for suburbia. Books can be (and have been) written about what went wrong with the middle class and upper middle class neighborhoods mid-century, but with or without Co-op City people who had been living throughout the Bronx (from the South Bronx to the Concourse) and the city were going to move elsewhere, and there were good public policy reasons to encourage that elsewhere to be within the NYC limits rather than out on the Island or upstate or in New Jersey. By promising people spacious, modern apartments at impossibly low carrying charges (barely more than a typical young family's rent-controlled rent) some 55,000 people were persuaded to stop before they left the city.
Co op city was definitely a step up for those who were able to finally pull themselves up.from the misery of pre war tenements. Co op city was heavily marketed by robert moses whos relatives fled eruope due to progroms. As a very car centric area it was designed for those who were willing to take a loan for an automobile on top.of toddlers.usually a girl and a boy.co op city grew up to be a very insular nabe which was needed for so many during those hectic suburban lebensraum oriented 50's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,280 posts, read 26,666,586 times
Reputation: 9083
Quote:

Polish and Ukrainians are brothers. Their history goes a long time back to
europe.

They overlapped in an area known as Galicia which was tossed from Russia to Austria to Poland and even to Sweden for a while.
My maternal grandparents were born there. My grandmother was Ukrainian but was fluent in Ukrainian and Polish and a couple other Serbian based tongues. The area currently straddles the Ukraine-Poland border but is mostly in Ukraine. It was called Austria-Galicia when my grandmother was born right after the U.S. Civil war.
Her whole long life she despised Emperor Franz Joseph I until she died at 96, having been a U.S. citizen for almost 80 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
5,473 posts, read 9,242,228 times
Reputation: 2411
E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
They overlapped in an area known as Galicia which was tossed from Russia to Austria to Poland and even to Sweden for a while.
My maternal grandparents were born there. My grandmother was Ukrainian but was fluent in Ukrainian and Polish and a couple other Serbian based tongues. The area currently straddles the Ukraine-Poland border but is mostly in Ukraine.
I love ukrainian women. Usually they have much longer legs than the usual western european. I said to a russian guy that im going to visit ukraine one of these days...he said in terms of women Belarus is even better, its poorer.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 07-18-2013 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top