U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 05:54 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,208,298 times

Advertisements

We don't care if we are an American city or not. Do you want to know why? Fuggedabouit NYC it's a city of its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 08:12 PM

2,007 posts, read 4,221,690 times
I agree with you here. Being a native of the Chicago area, I definitely enjoy getting to visit NYC & my good friends over there when I can. Our cities have a lot in common, yet have a lot of interesting differences as well. It isn't too foreign to jump on the 7 train to Little India in Jackson Heights, Queens when I may ride the Red Line or head to Devon Avenue (Chicago's Little India) for some grub in Chi-Town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I don't think that's true at all. For the tens of millions of Americans who don't live in huge metro areas like the Boston-Washington metroplex, Chicago, etc, NYC is an alien place, and most couldn't understand how people could live there. I think these people living in smaller places, as well as those living in big metros like Atlanta or Dallas, would probably be more comfortable with the sprawling, car-centric culture of LA and San Fran than they would with NYC. That's much more like what they know than Manhattan (which is generally the idea of NYC people get from movies and TV).

Old 07-20-2013, 05:24 AM

3,333 posts, read 3,285,961 times
Extra American? What's your choice of dope?

Queens- 3rd world - you might as well be in china, India, Pakistan, or Bangladesh.

Brooklyn- where have all the white people gone? Soon the only whites left will,be Hasidic and orthodox Jews.

Manhattan - you'd think the median household income in America is 150k and 90 % of its nhabitants are white.

Bronx - you'd think America's median household income is around 10k and 90% of its inhabitants are Latinos.

Staten island - where's that?

Old 07-20-2013, 06:25 AM

480 posts, read 771,638 times
New York is largely Latin immigrants in the lower income parts. A lot of blacks have moved to other parts of the country. You have immigrants from all over the world in NYC, not just other parts of the country.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:27 AM

480 posts, read 771,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

Queens- 3rd world - you might as well be in china, India, Pakistan, or Bangladesh.

Brooklyn- where have all the white people gone? Soon the only whites left will,be Hasidic and orthodox Jews.

Manhattan - you'd think the median household income in America is 150k and 90 % of its nhabitants are white.

Bronx - you'd think America's median household income is around 10k and 90% of its inhabitants are Latinos.

This is true for the most part, except that the northern parts of Manhattan (Washington Heights, Inwood) are almost exclusively Latinos.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:51 PM

2,007 posts, read 4,221,690 times
Staten Island is a long lost island / suburban neighborhood from Sicily (southern Italy).

Quote:

Old 07-21-2013, 07:59 AM

436 posts, read 410,547 times
Quote:

I guess you haven't seen Middle Village, Howard Beach, Astoria and other areas that don't fit this nonsense.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:08 AM

9,945 posts, read 7,702,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
I guess you haven't seen Middle Village, Howard Beach, Astoria and other areas that don't fit this nonsense.
The rest of the country is not 80% Italian american. Astoria also isn't the best example.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:55 PM

8,140 posts, read 12,519,763 times
I think Boston is the most American city.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:16 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,285,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
Dying off relics. The trend is not their friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or