U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 11:32 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,900,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I don't see what's ridiculous about it. I don't always carry cash with me, so I can slide a card and get whatever I need just the same. And if I have cash, but no coins, and my total is something like $2.11, I'm definitely going to use my card simply because I don't want to get all of that change back.
That's exactly what I hate about carrying cash. When you go to the ATM, most of them only give $20.00 out. On the rare occasion I'll go to the teller and get some $50 bills or $100 bills and going to the market to break that can be a pain to say the least, not to mention tons of pennies and nickels and dimes and whatever else the cashier feels like dumping on you. With a card you just swipe and go and on most of my cards, a signature isn't required for purchases under $25.00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 12:43 PM

4,801 posts, read 4,699,834 times
My guess is many of the stores would rather avoid the fee. There are stores that will be cash only in my area and stores that say "credit card, ten dollar minimum purchase" or something like that.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
My guess is many of the stores would rather avoid the fee. There are stores that will be cash only in my area and stores that say "credit card, ten dollar minimum purchase" or something like that.
I don't mind the minimum purchase set up at all since I understand they have to pay a fee, but give people the option. Sometimes I simply just forget to get cash out but I always have numerous cards on me. The barber which I've had for close to 20 years now finally has a credit card option and it's great because the barber shop isn't located near any ATMs, so if I forget to get cash, I gladly pay the higher fee to use my credit card. The bonus for him is he gets a bigger tip than in the past. Before I used to do about a $5.00, now I do a $10.00 tip. People that have good credit cards get cash back so it's to our advantage to burn the hell out of the credit card.

Last edited by Grosvenor; 07-19-2013 at 01:38 PM..

Old 07-19-2013, 01:08 PM

9,836 posts, read 21,557,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
That's what I was thinking but it's been a challenge in some places and I just refuse to patronize them if I have to go out of my way to go and get cash out. There are a few places in Manhattan like this that I've been to and you never have enough money once you start buying items and realizing that you want this that and the other.

There's a wonderful place in Chelsea Market that finally became hip and get a credit card machine. Now I go there more frequently and buy a lot more.
On top of that there tend to be alot less atm's in the outer boroughs...

Old 07-19-2013, 01:23 PM

7,048 posts, read 7,663,030 times
-processing fees eats into margins.
-cash is immediate funds which can pay certain vendors who require cash on delivery
-keeping records is a pain in the neck. If I remember, people can do a chargeback up to two years after the sale. So some owners hate keeping mountains of paperwork.

I am curious though.....if there were two different prices for cash and cc customers...would this change people's behavior? Should cash buyers pay more to cover the cc users? Is that fair?

I realize the advantages of cc...but there are advantages to cash as well.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 27,621,209 times
grosv i frequently do deliveries with Christos and they always took my credit card for deliveries. not sure about in store tho. ive been using them since 2004 when they opened

Old 07-19-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
grosv i frequently do deliveries with Christos and they always took my credit card for deliveries. not sure about in store tho. ive been using them since 2004 when they opened
Is that right? According to what I saw online it just said "Cash" and that they're closed on Sundays which seems foolish if you ask me. So they take everything then? Visa, AMEX, Mastercard and Discover?

Old 07-19-2013, 01:59 PM

did anyone from Christos personally speak to you about cash only or you just saw it online? normally they ask me if i want the tip included on the CC or if i will tip in cash. no cash only policy that i know of

Old 07-19-2013, 02:00 PM

their gyros are better than diner gyros. its the real thing. and you can get avolomeghno soup thats hard to get

Old 07-19-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
did anyone from Christos personally speak to you about cash only or you just saw it online? normally they ask me if i want the tip included on the CC or if i will tip in cash. no cash only policy that i know of
Quote:
their gyros are better than diner gyros. its the real thing. and you can get avolomeghno soup thats hard to get
No, I only looked online. Have you tried Greek Express before? I had a gyro from them last week that was fantastic. How does Christos stack up against them? I didn't know there was another Greek place around until I heard of this Christos place, but I think Greek Express is the only one in Riverdale. All of the others are in the Bronx, which is surprising because I didn't think there were that many Greeks in the Bronx. I know there are some in Riverdale scattered about but not in the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City