Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 05:35 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times

Advertisements

Best gyro I've had here in the city is BZ grill in Astoria. Get hungry just thinking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 05:39 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
No, I only looked online. Have you tried Greek Express before? I had a gyro from them last week that was fantastic. How does Christos stack up against them? I didn't know there was another Greek place around until I heard of this Christos place, but I think Greek Express is the only one in Riverdale. All of the others are in the Bronx, which is surprising because I didn't think there were that many Greeks in the Bronx. I know there are some in Riverdale scattered about but not in the Bronx.
At one time Greeks had restaurants all over this city. Why does that surprise you? You don't really leave riverdale much do you?

Old 07-19-2013, 05:40 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
It's not a trend but I love it! It means a restaurant is struggling to stay afloat yet not raise its prices, not giving a slice of everything to the credit card companies. I love to patronize cash-only places.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:47 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
My liquor store takes Credit Cards only over $20. (Of course it's hard to spend less than that in a liquor store these days.)
This is actually illegal, though, and can result in the business having their credit card processing ability revoked. Most credit card companies explicitly prohibit minimums above $10. (Having said that, I remember having a $14.52 meal in Chinatown and being told that the credit card minimum was $15. You better believe they ran my card!)

Anyway, most of the bodegas in my neighborhood (West Village) are cash-only so I always try to have a few bucks on me in case I need some milk or a roll of paper towels. My favorite pizza place (John's) is cash-onyl too, so I always have to make a trip to the ATM before I pick up a pie from them. It does bother me when pricey restaurants are cash-only, as I typically don't carry more than $5 cash at any given time.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:33 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
loratliff,

I had no idea that was illegal but I won't make a fuss because my usual purchase is 1.75L Seagrams 7 and he has the lowest price in town: $23.99 + tax natch. I'd hate to drive him out of business.

But when I want an $8.99 Cinzano Sweet Vermouth (1 Liter), he makes me pay cash.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:13 PM

5 posts, read 6,603 times
Well it's not a bad idea to have some cash with you all the time

Old 07-22-2013, 08:31 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
This is actually illegal, though, and can result in the business having their credit card processing ability revoked. Most credit card companies explicitly prohibit minimums above $10. (Having said that, I remember having a $14.52 meal in Chinatown and being told that the credit card minimum was $15. You better believe they ran my card!)
Illegal doesn't mean its against the law. There is quite a difference.

As for revoke...technically yes..but like jay walking in nyc....this would never happen in reality. I can personally vouch for this experience. As for your meal...I am glad they ran it..they didn't have to...but in some cases, its good business.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:00 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
At one time Greeks had restaurants all over this city. Why does that surprise you? You don't really leave riverdale much do you?
Greeks are known to be in some parts of the city, and I know there are some in Riverdale but not many in the Bronx, so that's why I was surprised.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:03 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,514,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I had no idea that was illegal but I won't make a fuss because my usual purchase is 1.75L Seagrams 7 and he has the lowest price in town: $23.99 + tax natch. I'd hate to drive him out of business.

But when I want an $8.99 Cinzano Sweet Vermouth (1 Liter), he makes me pay cash.
It's not illegal in the sense that they're breaking the law in any way, but they are in violation of their agreement with the credit card company.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:57 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post

Anyway, most of the bodegas in my neighborhood (West Village) are cash-only so I always try to have a few bucks on me in case I need some milk or a roll of paper towels. My favorite pizza place (John's) is cash-onyl too, so I always have to make a trip to the ATM before I pick up a pie from them. It does bother me when pricey restaurants are cash-only, as I typically don't carry more than $5 cash at any given time.
The Dodd-Frank Act passed in 2011 made it ok for merchants to charge a minimum fee to accept credit cards, prior to that, it was not illegal, it just violated their merchant agreements w/ the cc companies. The minimum purchase amount cannot be more than $10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City