U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 07:57 PM

5 posts, read 4,677 times

Advertisements

Hi folks!

I'm currently living in the hills of northern Pennsylvania, and I'm about to apply for some position openings in NYC. I have some basic, administrative questions to ask about my job search.

I'm in my 40s, have tons of business experience both working in the office and on the road for a construction business that covers a multi-county area in rural northern PA and southern NY. I visited NYC once, in July of 2000 for the MacWorld Expo at the Javits Center on the western riverfront of mid-town Manhattan and stayed in an apartment around the corner from Javits. Though that was my only occasion to visit NYC, my local cable TV outfit carried WPIX 11 and WNYW Fox 5 until I had to drop my cable subscription several years ago. So I have a very superficial familiarity with NYC dating back to the 1970s.

On Facebook, there is a page I subscribe to called "Moving To New York". There is a also a companion web-site called gonetonewyork.com. On the site, under jobs, there is a suggestion: renting an NYC address (presumably a box-like arrangement) in Manhattan at a place called "NY Mail". On the GoneToNewYork site, the "NY Mail" notation reads like this:

Quote:
This business allows you to get a New York address *before* you move. My favorite trick when I was looking for a job before moving was to get a New York address ahead of time. Recruiters can’t look at out of town resumes because of the logistics involved in arranging interviews and paying relocation costs. But with an NY address on your resume they’ll never know that you’re not already local.
One of the places I'm thinking of applying at does list on their web-site that they have a local hiring preference. Is this a standard practice for people looking to relocate to NYC from the outside? Does it work? Isn't it dishonest? If my current employer is in northern PA, and a prospective employer calls my current one for a reference check, won't that blow my cover?

I'm far enough away that if I do land and interview, it will require that I book a flight to NYC to attend. If I were to book more than one interview in a specific day, what is the best way to determine how I can arrange the interviews so that I have enough time to get from one place to another using mass transit?

If I do get a job offer, I'm wondering where the best place is to search for housing. Are there forums / boards / some kind of interactive media to look at places to live? I'm not opposed to sharing an apartment or other arrangements.

If these seem like silly questions, I'm sorry. This is going to be a "baptism by fire", to be sure.

Thanks in advance!

From the hills,

--WA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 08:21 PM

912 posts, read 1,716,050 times
Check out craigslist for apartments. Welcome to the Big Apple

Old 07-18-2013, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the good wish.

What about the NY Mail idea? Is that necessary / practical?

Old 07-19-2013, 06:42 AM

470 posts, read 745,958 times
I've seen advice in the past on here that having a NYC address can sometimes be helpful. I think it really depends on the job. When I got a job here, it didn't matter that I was from out of state, because my job is extremely specialized and my profession is very small, so the employer was searching nationwide from the start.

If you are applying for more common jobs and you think there will be a lot of qualified applicants from NYC, then I think having the NYC address will help.

I looked at the NY Mail website and noticed that the personal addresses are on 5th Ave near Washington Square Park. It may not matter at all, but a smart person would know that you probably don't actually live there. Some people may not even think about it.

IMO it would have been better for them have some addresses available in each borough. No one who actually lives at 28th St and 5th Ave is going to apply for a job in, say, Queens.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:37 AM

The first place I was looking to apply at (a university) has this line in their job description: "XXXXXX University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents"

Is that a cue for an NY Mail address, or do you think I should save my money and wing it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City