U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:35 PM

678 posts, read 542,450 times

Advertisements

i was talking to some random mail man who lived in new york back in the day and he said its like the worst place to live. Im visiting down there this october and i wanted to take the train and he said they rob people coming off the train all the time. And he was really exaggerating how violent it was and how unlivable it is. Is this true how bad is it??? i want to take my macbook and ipod on my vacation and feel safe will i be ok???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 11:39 PM

19,084 posts, read 32,655,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
i was talking to some random mail man who lived in new york back in the day and he said its like the worst place to live. Im visiting down there this october and i wanted to take the train and he said they rob people coming off the train all the time. And he was really exaggerating how violent it was and how unlivable it is. Is this true how bad is it??? i want to take my macbook and ipod on my vacation and feel safe will i be ok???
Are you planning to visit the worst parts of the city? If you are, then you will not be ok, just like if you were to visit the worst parts of any large city.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-19-2013, 12:53 AM

7,125 posts, read 5,493,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Are you planning to visit the worst parts of the city? If you are, then you will not be ok, just like if you were to visit the worst parts of any large city.
even the worst parts of NYC today are disneyland compared to what he's describing

Old 07-19-2013, 03:16 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,301,380 times
Quote:
Crime in NYC is only a fraction of Kansas City's one.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:10 AM

30,316 posts, read 31,181,855 times
NYC is considered one of the safest large cities in the USA. I assume the person you talked lived in NYC prior to the mid-1990s when NYC was a dangerous place.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:29 AM

3,445 posts, read 4,825,308 times
Mid 90s...you obviously are too young to remember the violence of the 70s

Old 07-19-2013, 06:30 AM

3,674 posts, read 5,850,725 times
Umm, no. Just be aware, don't flash cash, and you'll be fine.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:39 AM

1,935 posts, read 2,127,213 times
NYC is relatively safe for such a large heterogenous city. Use common sense and you will be fine.

Detroit, chicago, DC are way more violent and have higher per capita murder rates.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:43 AM

458 posts, read 533,714 times
Quote:
And he was really exaggerating how violent it was and how unlivable it is.
Did you mean to say he was really "emphasizing" instead of exaggerating? Because I believe he was exaggerating more than anything. Callying NYC unlivable is beyond ridiculous.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:01 AM

37 posts, read 66,663 times
It largely depends on which areas and what time of day/night you'll be visiting.

Lived in NYC all my life- as long as you are aware of your surroundings and have some common sense, you'll do fine.

1) Try not to have your phone/ipad out while standing/sitting by the train doors- easy way to get robbed.
2) Don't wear backpacks on crowded subways- you're taking up valuable space and won't be able to tell if someone is opening up the small pocket at the back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or