U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2013, 01:09 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 48,416,169 times
Reputation: 9451

Advertisements

The main point is a black guy who looks like a hoodlum should never ever be picked up in a cab
'
The end

 
Old 07-30-2013, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,894,422 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
The main point is a black guy who looks like a hoodlum should never ever be picked up in a cab
'
The end
That doesn't seem to be what other posters are saying. Some say that even Blacks in suits can't get a cab. It could be that Blacks commit a high amount crime with relation to their population size which makes the cab drivers perceive them as a threat, no matter how they are dressed. I'm not sure if that's the reason, but that's what I understand from perceived threat.
 
Old 07-30-2013, 05:59 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 48,416,169 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
That doesn't seem to be what other posters are saying. Some say that even Blacks in suits can't get a cab. It could be that Blacks commit a high amount crime with relation to their population size which makes the cab drivers perceive them as a threat, no matter how they are dressed. I'm not sure if that's the reason, but that's what I understand from perceived threat.

If a cab refuses to pick up a well dressed black man who has a obvious destination needs to be admitted into a mental institution
 
Old 07-30-2013, 07:07 PM
 
902 posts, read 1,973,201 times
Reputation: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Why don't you answer the question that I put forth before you go into an angry tirade?

Just about in every thread where race is a subject you will inject "Who commits the most crimes in NYC?"

So because people of my race commit more crimes here I should be discriminated against?

I don't have a criminal record. I don't rob or steal from people.

So according to your rational, taxi drivers are justified?

How about this, what race commits the most white collar crimes?

Should white men be barred holding executive positions?
 
Old 07-30-2013, 10:19 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
651 posts, read 1,521,709 times
Reputation: 611
I was with a black friend of mine once and tried to hail a cab at 2am. I didn't believe the myth but saw two cabs pass him by. I told him to hide around the corner and let me try, and I got one.
 
Old 07-30-2013, 11:29 PM
 
10,613 posts, read 20,745,224 times
Reputation: 8155
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Just about in every thread where race is a subject you will inject "Who commits the most crimes in NYC?"

So because people of my race commit more crimes here I should be discriminated against?

I don't have a criminal record. I don't rob or steal from people.

So according to your rational, taxi drivers are justified?

How about this, what race commits the most white collar crimes?

Should white men be barred holding executive positions?
Good point!
 
Old 07-30-2013, 11:31 PM
 
1,431 posts, read 2,098,190 times
Reputation: 1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Should white men be barred holding executive positions?
It couldn't actually hurt to try this.
 
Old 07-31-2013, 10:38 AM
 
902 posts, read 1,973,201 times
Reputation: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Good point!
Thank you Henna.
 
Old 07-31-2013, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Bronx
14,817 posts, read 17,417,710 times
Reputation: 7516
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
The main point is a black guy who looks like a hoodlum should never ever be picked up in a cab
'
The end

Dressing up as a hoodlum of any race is a cause for concern for taxi and livery cab drivers. I can never forget the time I was trying to hail a cab during a very cold night and I was wearing a Mcmurdo Northface coat. No Taxi or cabbi stopped for me. I had one of those mentos breathments moment where I decided to take off my coat and put it towards the curb of the sidewalk and hailed for a taxi again, and an South Asian driver stopped. If I continued wearing that Northface coat no one would have picked me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
I was with a black friend of mine once and tried to hail a cab at 2am. I didn't believe the myth but saw two cabs pass him by. I told him to hide around the corner and let me try, and I got one.
I remember a couple of years back near LES and a white couple got turned down by 3 cabbies, they were trying to go to Williamsburg but the Taxi drivers told these out of towners that they don't go to Brooklyn!
 
Old 07-31-2013, 11:31 AM
 
121 posts, read 117,138 times
Reputation: 51
Cry me a river. The reality is many black men discriminate against black women on a daily basis due to skin color. Colorism is very big amongst black guys who will openly admit that they prefer biracial, white and Hispanic women.

It's so strange however, that the very same people who discriminate against their own women, are so vocal, when they perceive that they are being discriminated against by whites, Asians, Arabs and Hispanics.

Last edited by Cherish643; 07-31-2013 at 11:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top