U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,894,804 times
Reputation: 300

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
So I see that legions of blacks dressed as lawyers etc are out to rob taxi drivers.

This is the excuse that they may give but taxi drivers are able to guess where the risk of robberies lie and they know full well that well dressed couples are not out to rob.

And before the "arrogant white male who knows every thing about what being black" chimes in I was told to get out of a taxi when I was taking a female to Fort Greene. We are middle aged and were dressed appropriately. When I took the drivers name and ID # down he changed his tune.

He just preferred a Manhattan drop so that he could get another ride back. Less likely in Ft Greene.

And yes the darker one is the more "scary" one seems to be. Many Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are also involved in taxi robberies and yet the lighter skinned PRicans will be less likely to have a hard time with a taxi.
Actually if I recall correctly, I've heard of Black males that were well dressed robbing cabbies and they dressed well on purpose, so as to raise less suspicion from the taxi driver.

If I'm supposed to be the "arrogant White male", hey I'm just as curious as the next guy on these sorts of topics to understand what problems Black people face.

 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:33 PM
 
Location: USA
8,016 posts, read 9,071,260 times
Reputation: 3383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
You're right but one bad pickup could be the end of your life. I can understand why a cabbie would pause especially if a certain group of people are known to rob cabbies.

I asked you another question as well:

Do dark complexioned Blacks have a harder time vs ones that are lighter? I've heard that there is a lot of colorism in the Black community but I don't know how true that is. The darker ones are supposedly seen as more threatening. I figured I'd ask you since you're a Black man.

yeah, sometimes. usually a cab driver will pick up anyone who has on nice clothes, but even that can get you victimized. i guess cabbies feel like it is less of a risk to just deal with white faces rather than make money off legitimate black passengers. unfortunately, that's less money for them to make any given day tho; but if they're scared, they're just scared.
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,894,804 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
yeah, sometimes. usually a cab driver will pick up anyone who has on nice clothes, but even that can get you victimized. i guess cabbies feel like it is less of a risk to just deal with white faces rather than make money off legitimate black passengers. unfortunately, that's less money for them to make any given day tho; but if they're scared, they're just scared.
Thank you clarifying that.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-20-2013 at 01:14 AM.. Reason: Discussing moderation on the forum
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,619 posts, read 24,814,812 times
Reputation: 11185
I think it depends on the situation. If you're in Midtown on any average day, then no, I don't think so. But let's say you're down on Houston or you're in the Meatpacking District at 1:30 in the morning. You may have a hard time because you're competing with lots of white people that cabbies: (1) assume have more money and tip better and (2) live in better neighborhoods that are not way uptown or in Brooklyn. We've been out late and had cabs whizz right past us but then cut over several lanes of traffic to pick up an equal-sized group of white people on the opposite side of the street. So I don't know if it's so much that being black hurts you as it is that being white can really help you (especially if you're a white woman).
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:47 PM
 
Location: USA
8,016 posts, read 9,071,260 times
Reputation: 3383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Thank you clarifying that.

lmao! you be trippin, man. i mean you must be saying
it in an offensive way or something like that. lol!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-20-2013 at 01:15 AM..
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,894,804 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think it depends on the situation. If you're in Midtown on any average day, then no, I don't think so. But let's say you're down on Houston or you're in the Meatpacking District at 1:30 in the morning. You may have a hard time because you're competing with lots of white people that cabbies: (1) assume have more money and tip better and (2) live in better neighborhoods that are not way uptown or in Brooklyn. We've been out late and had cabs whizz right past us but then cut over several lanes of traffic to pick up an equal-sized group of white people on the opposite side of the street. So I don't know if it's so much that being black hurts you as it is that being white can really help you (especially if you're a white woman).
I've heard that Black people are really poor tippers though and before I'm called a "racist" , it seems to be something that you've mentioned above. Is there any truth to that? Using yourself as an example, would you call yourself a good tipper or a poor tipper? I would think that a good tip would be 15 - 20%.
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:53 PM
 
6,320 posts, read 8,648,533 times
Reputation: 2668
Is there any racial/ethnic breakdown on cab robbing suspects?
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:54 PM
 
Location: USA
8,016 posts, read 9,071,260 times
Reputation: 3383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I've heard that Black people are really poor tippers though and before I'm called a "racist" , it seems to be something that you've mentioned above. Is there any truth to that? Using yourself as an example, would you call yourself a good tipper or a poor tipper? I would think that a good tip would be 15 - 20%.

well many blacks don't have a lot of extra money to tip sometimes i guess.



i hate to see that blown look on a waiter or waitress' face when they have to
serve a group of my friends and me at a restaurant. it's like "i know these
ninjas not gon' tip well" lol, but we always tip them well anyway. that will
tell them. we're not about to beg for anything from people.
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,894,804 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
well many blacks don't have a lot of extra money to tip sometimes i guess.



i hate to see that blown look on a waiter or waitress' face when they have to
serve a group of my friends and me at a restaurant. it's like "i know these
ninjas not gon' tip well" lol, but we always tip them well anyway.
that will
tell them.
Ha!
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
362 posts, read 584,199 times
Reputation: 189
As an Asian American, I feel that cab drivers are more willing to go to Brooklyn late at night when I wear my work clothes (shirt/dress pants/shoes) than if I were to wear my casual clothes (t-shirt/jeans/sneakers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top