Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 07:40 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,319 times

Advertisements

I recently heard about a speech that President Obama gave about women clutching their purse around certain individuals that I wasn't aware of. Does this happen here in New York City and if so is it common and why? I'm trying to understand if women do it because they're really that terrified of being mugged or do they just do it to be ball breakers or what?

Old 08-01-2013, 07:44 PM

108 posts, read 209,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I recently heard about a speech that President Obama gave about women clutching their purse around certain individuals that I wasn't aware of. Does this happen here in New York City and if so is it common and why? I'm trying to understand if women do it because they're really that terrified of being mugged or do they just do it to be ball breakers or what?
"certain individuals?"

Could you specify?

Old 08-01-2013, 07:49 PM

Could be young people, other women, people deemed sketchy, etc. Moderator cut: Race is not a factor when determining habits of women in the city with regard to carrying purses but some women say they clutch their purse around everyone, so which is it? Also if women are so worried about being mugged, why even bother with a purse? I see some women walk around literally doing poses with their purse, so if someone wanted to mug them they would be an easy target.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 08-01-2013 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: Race is not a factor for this discussion

Old 08-01-2013, 07:59 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,636 times
It's common knowledge to NYers when Women walked pass people from The Bronx Riverdale area, women need to hold on to their purse for dear life. There are many noxious people living in that area.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:04 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
As someone who was once mugged, just I might hug my purse a little closer at night. I remember once I was walking through washington square park around 9 or so, it wasn't empty but the path I was on was pretty bare. I saw a shadow on the ground behind me and moved my purse in front of me and looked over my shoulder. It was an older man and he said "Don't worry I'm not gonna do anything to you, but you are smart for looking over your shoulder. Keep it up".

Old 08-01-2013, 09:16 PM

466 posts, read 901,981 times
My wife will hold her purse in her arm so that it's between me and her whenever we go into a neighborhood that we don't know. It doesn't matter if she knows it's fine, she gets anxious anyway.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
As someone who was once mugged, just I might hug my purse a little closer at night. I remember once I was walking through washington square park around 9 or so, it wasn't empty but the path I was on was pretty bare. I saw a shadow on the ground behind me and moved my purse in front of me and looked over my shoulder. It was an older man and he said "Don't worry I'm not gonna do anything to you, but you are smart for looking over your shoulder. Keep it up".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
My wife will hold her purse in her arm so that it's between me and her whenever we go into a neighborhood that we don't know. It doesn't matter if she knows it's fine, she gets anxious anyway.
Interesting comments
If women get so anxious or worried about being mugged, why carry a purse? Can't they use something else that makes them feel safer? I know some women use backpacks or items that they can secure more.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:29 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
As someone who was mugged more than once, I totally agree with the older man's advise for you.
I usually tried to walk as far as possible away from the women passing by at night to give them some
"safe" space if there were not many people around. I would also remove my hoodie to show my face if
I'm wearing one, people seem to be less frighten and more relax if they can see your face.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:53 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Moderator's Note: Since this topic was posed regarding the means used by women to carry purses in the city, it is not a means to disparage any race. Simply put, race is not a factor for this discussion. Please discuss street smarts, geographic location, use of transportation, fashion, etc. as determining factors. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 08-01-2013 at 11:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: