Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 02:00 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I've heard that Black people are really poor tippers though and before I'm called a "racist" , it seems to be something that you've mentioned above. Is there any truth to that? Using yourself as an example, would you call yourself a good tipper or a poor tipper? I would think that a good tip would be 15 - 20%.
I didn't say black people were poor tippers. I said that cabbies may assume blacks will not tip as much because whites in general are wealthier than blacks.

But it's a dumb assumption because most people catching cabs all over the city are generally relatively well off (meaning they have solid paying jobs and don't live in public housing). If a cab driver wants to drive past a group of Black or Hispanic bankers and lawyers in favor of broke ass NYU students, then that's his loss.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:00 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhatty View Post
Hell yeah they're really poor tippers.. that's no front page news.

I've been out with black friends and have been with them when they order delivery.. and they didn't tip anything at all - and didn't even feel guilty about it.
LOL! Well 11KAP is trying to change all of that. It could be a cultural thing and one that I certainly don't understand because if you have someone doing a service for you it's customary to tip. Maybe 11KAP can elaborate on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I didn't say black people were poor tippers. I said that cabbies may assume blacks will not tip as much because whites in general are wealthier than blacks.

But it's a dumb assumption because most people catching cabs all over the city are generally relatively well off (meaning they have solid paying jobs and don't live in public housing). If a cab driver wants to drive past a group of Black or Hispanic bankers and lawyers in favor of broke ass NYU students, then that's his loss.
Well another poster confirmed that at least his/her Black friends don't tip at all and don't feel guilty about it either. It seems as if some of it may be economic and some of it may be cultural but I'm not sure.

It could be another reason why they don't stop for Black people though or are reluctant to. I mean they're working to make as much as possible.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:05 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
This is so the opposite of PC but I would guess it's an inner city thing. People across the board in inner city don't seem to tip well or tip at all.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-20-2013 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: Orphaned quote removed

Old 07-19-2013, 02:08 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
A handful of waiters have told me the same thing. They have become more racist from that work experience. I am curious if its cultural as well

Old 07-19-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Well another poster confirmed that at least his/her Black friends don't tip at all and don't feel guilty about it either. It seems as if some of it may be economic and some of it may be cultural but I'm not sure.
Now you're just trolling. That poster (with a rather lengthy posting history of four posts - your C-D alter ego, I presume?) didn't "confirm" anything. He tossed out anecdotal evidence that could easily be countered with other anecdotal evidence.

If you're going to make thinly-veiled attempts at race bashing, then you should at least rotate racial groups. Spread the hate around, why don't ya?

But I suspect this thread will get shut down by Page 4 anyway.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:09 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
how are you going to tip if you don't have extra money?

if i have it, I'll tip. if not, I'm not ordering anything.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:11 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Now you're just trolling. That poster (with a rather lengthy posting history of four posts - your C-D alter ego, I presume?) didn't "confirm" anything. He tossed out anecdotal evidence that could easily be countered with other anecdotal evidence.

If you're going to make thinly-veiled attempts at race bashing, then you should at least rotate racial groups. Spread the hate around, why don't ya?

But I suspect this thread will get shut down by Page 4 anyway.
The topic in question is do Blacks have a hard time getting cabs? That seems to have been confirmed by a few posters. Now we're exploring the reasons why. If you don't like hearing the possibilities as to why that's not my problem. I guess I'm not allowed to post on this topic because I'm White is that it? Why would the racial groups be "rotated"? The topic is about Black people having a hard time getting cabs and no other group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
A handful of waiters have told me the same thing. They have become more racist from that work experience. I am curious if its cultural as well
Don't you dare say that! You may offend others around here with thin skin.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanyankee View Post
now you're just trolling. That poster (with a rather lengthy posting history of four posts - your c-d alter ego, i presume?) didn't "confirm" anything. He tossed out anecdotal evidence that could easily be countered with other anecdotal evidence.

But i suspect this thread will get shut down by page 4 anyway.
+1

Old 07-19-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
It would only be cultural if, say, black associates at Davis Polk tipped less on average than white associates at Davis Polk. But I have never seen any evidence to suggest that.

But I'm sure you wouldn't know anybody who worked for Davis Polk anyway.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:14 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Quote:
LOL! Well 11KAP is trying to change all of that. It could be a cultural thing and one that I certainly don't understand because if you have someone doing a service for you it's customary to tip. Maybe 11KAP can elaborate on this?

it's nothing to it. you tip so you will not be rude or
looked at and feel like butt-hole, you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: