U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 04:28 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,676,937 times

Advertisements

No neighborhood in NYC has changed as much as bushwick and bed-stuy. Can't say that they are gentrified, both still have way too much crime, but at least there is reason to go to either if you don't live in the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 06:46 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,519,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
well least ur an honest gentrifier.......but few cities thrive without a solid working class......and that video was in FL......guns are much easier to get down there and quite frankly most ghetto NY'ers havent been able to run wild like that without heavy police involvement since the crack wars of the early 1990s......but least ur honest......gentrify: the new NIMBYism.....push people out of the city that i dont like that way i can turn into my personal playground of arrogant yuppies, annoying culture vultures with trust funds (hipsters) who snort coke, commit white collar crimes that bankrupt our fine nation and kill the unique soul of NY and other uniquely american metropolises.......
I'd take hipsters and yuppies in the Bronx over ghetto people any day.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:51 AM

88 posts, read 201,100 times
True^. No matter how the violence goes away its doesn't matter as long as it goes away in a correct manner. If that means hipsters coming in then so be it.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:55 AM

88 posts, read 201,100 times
Like I said, most people in the ghetto are good people but its just a small percentage who create a lot of chaos and crime. If hipsters are the answer to stopping that chaos and crime then that's what they need in my opinion.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:54 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,519,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dre View Post
True^. No matter how the violence goes away its doesn't matter as long as it goes away in a correct manner. If that means hipsters coming in then so be it.
Agree 100%!!!!!!

Old 07-24-2013, 09:35 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,893,356 times
Quote:
what the hell for? aint no major shopping area up there, no major public HS........
To make their presence known I guess. I can't figure it out either. It's so out of the way that it does seem strange. I mean there's far more shopping in Kingsbridge in the Bronx and I would think that the prices would be better too but maybe that trend will change when it gets cold again. When it's warm out you see all sorts of crazy things.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:28 AM

23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Watching this video is a perfect reminder and a main reason why I support Gentrification 100% in NYC (all 5 boroughs). Gentrification keep these ghetto a$$ and ignorant people out of our neighborhoods and away from our families. This is why I want the Bronx to gentrify...price out all these thugs so they can go kill themselves elsewhere. End of story. They serve no purpose in our sociality.
THe Bonx isn't likely to gentrify, though.

For starters, its not like its the next neighborhood over from a big job center (say Midtown).

The Bronx would need economic development in the form of more jobs coming to the Bronx to improve.

Big parts of Brooklyn haven't gentrified really, and upper Manhattan itself hasn't really gentrified. Oh, and those people in the NYCHA developments are not going anywhere soon.

There is no such thing as a city that doesn't have a poor population.

Outside of certain Manhattan neighborhoods like Chelsea, the only parts of the city that really gentrified are a few parts of Brooklyn and LIC in Queens.

Part of the problem is, well off people will eventually want a house and a car. Also, they tend to want to send their kids to good schools. What neighborhood schools are around for people to send their kids to in the Bronx? If the ghetto people are as awful as you claim, who is going to want their kids to go school with them? A lot of people will bail out as soon as they are ready to have children, and others even before as they want to upgrade their lives.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:31 AM

23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times
Quote:
well least ur an honest gentrifier.......but few cities thrive without a solid working class......and that video was in FL......guns are much easier to get down there and quite frankly most ghetto NY'ers havent been able to run wild like that without heavy police involvement since the crack wars of the early 1990s......but least ur honest......gentrify: the new NIMBYism.....push people out of the city that i dont like that way i can turn into my personal playground of arrogant yuppies, annoying culture vultures with trust funds (hipsters) who snort coke, commit white collar crimes that bankrupt our fine nation and kill the unique soul of NY and other uniquely american metropolises.......
THat's just a fantasy that the city is a personal playground of the rich. People who are rich and who really have trust funds don't like to spend all their time in the city . They have homes to live in.

Also, Manhattan has a rapidly growing homeless population and the city even officially admits this. Big parts of Brooklyn have never gentrified, nor as Upper Manhattan, and LES near the river is all NYCHA land. Most of Queens has not gentrified.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:14 AM

3,039 posts, read 5,731,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
No neighborhood in NYC has changed as much as bushwick and bed-stuy. Can't say that they are gentrified, both still have way too much crime, but at least there is reason to go to either if you don't live in the neighborhood.
Stupidest statement made on here yet... Bushwick is still largely unchanged demographics wise... if you're specifically speaking on western bed-stuy alone, even then you're statement would be ridiculous but at least it would hold some weight... So Soho, Park Slope, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Prospect Heights, LIC, LES, Wash Heights (safety wise), Hell's Kitchen, Times Square Area have all seen less change than Bushwick and the greater Bed-stuy region...

When you remove your head from the toilet please do yourself a favor and stop claiming that you're a born and bred new yorker... Nobody believes you...

Old 07-24-2013, 11:27 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,676,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Stupidest statement made on here yet... Bushwick is still largely unchanged demographics wise... if you're specifically speaking on western bed-stuy alone, even then you're statement would be ridiculous but at least it would hold some weight... So Soho, Park Slope, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Prospect Heights, LIC, LES, Wash Heights (safety wise), Hell's Kitchen, Times Square Area have all seen less change than Bushwick and the greater Bed-stuy region...

When you remove your head from the toilet please do yourself a favor and stop claiming that you're a born and bred new yorker... Nobody believes you...
You again. Thought you moved down south cause you couldn't cut it up here. I didn't realize that those neighborhoods that you mention above were as bad as Bushwick and bed-stuy back in the day. I was talking per scale, nothing to do with demographics, hipsters, yuppies, or even gentrification for that matter. Strictly change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City