U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 03:29 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,839,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

Much of the working poor is just trying to get by.
Of course. And calling them "ghetto," again, a cultural allegiance, would not be fair.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 03:34 PM

9,991 posts, read 7,716,817 times
Quote:
Thank you, I totally agree with you on this and I hate arguing with Gdale, his points makes no sense.

Much of the working poor is just trying to get by.

I have been saying this for a while now that Gdale lacks information about the city, telling me about how Bushwick and Bedstuy changed so much, only a small tiny section of Bedstuy near Pratt that has changed and gets all the rave but once you travel more east into Bedstuy it turns depressing. This guy is ill informed about NYC.

Both of you will receive rep points from me for pointing out this heretic.
Hey, look who's come to join Anon and Shooters circle jerk. Guess you finished figuring out NYC's pension shortfall so that it doesn't become another Detroit.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:35 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,839,277 times
Quote:
... only a small tiny section of Bedstuy near Pratt that has changed and gets all the rave but once you travel more east into Bedstuy it turns depressing. This guy is ill informed about NYC.
My two cents: I am basically ill-informed about Bedsuy, except that a close friend owns a house there and my youngest brother lives there - in the "good" area, which apparently IS quite limited.

In spite of the "good" area thing, in the past year he has been attacked and robbed twice, his roommate (female) three times, and their landlady as well.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
My two cents: I am basically ill-informed about Bedsuy, except that a close friend owns a house there and my youngest brother lives there - in the "good" area, which apparently IS quite limited.

In spite of the "good" area thing, in the past year he has been attacked and robbed twice, his roommate (female) three times, and their landlady as well.
Even though it changed a lot, it is still the hood. Maybe I'm just not as much of pussi as anon and bxguyanese.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:27 PM

88 posts, read 201,708 times
Honestly, I've seen anon1 comment on a lot of threads on here and he usually knows what he's talking about from what I see. Not to say anyone else doesn't though.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dre View Post
Honestly, I've seen anon1 comment on a lot of threads on here and he usually knows what he's talking about from what I see. Not to say anyone else doesn't though.
I agree that he does. Its just that rather than reading and comprehending what someone writes, he rather just go on attack mode and state all is false. Either way, I'm headed to your old neighborhood right now, and I guarantee that nothing bad will happen to me, nor will I see anything worse than what I'd see in any other neighborhood.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:50 PM

14,885 posts, read 17,450,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I agree that he does. Its just that rather than reading and comprehending what someone writes, he rather just go on attack mode and state all is false. Either way, I'm headed to your old neighborhood right now, and I guarantee that nothing bad will happen to me, nor will I see anything worse than what I'd see in any other neighborhood.
Anon guy speaks the truth!

Old 07-25-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Anon guy speaks the truth!
He must love when you scream his name like that.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 PM

420 posts, read 549,753 times
G-Dale was right about the fact that Bushwick now gives people more reason to come there. I live in Bed-Stuy and I can't see one reason for an outsider to come here unless they're visiting someone. We've always had our lil community thing going, but nothing anyone should be compelled to come to like that. Now people try to plant flag by putting up a bunch of questionable Williamsburg type establishments: gimmicky coffee shops, baby clothes boutiques and all these out of place businesses that flop within weeks. Bushwick on the other hand is developing a thriving art, music, and party scene in places where only 8 years ago I saw heroin addicts trying to share needles with ghosts nightly. The Bushwick Arts festival last months had 500 events in Bushwick in three days. Yes 500.

And that Pratt area you people love to speak of, it's a MARVEL to everyone in the Stuy and Clinton Hill that transplants in stained loose t-shirts and citibikes have conquered that radius in that manner. That block was historically one of the WORST in the city in terms of crime and there's a precinct literally around the corner. Lafayette Gardens is a LEGENDARY project in Brooklyn and everyone slapped themselves in the face when they first saw hipsters sitting on the curb eating sandwiches oblivious to the history directly behind them.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:58 PM

420 posts, read 549,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Didn't your mother teach you how to behave in public? Disturbing the peace is not cool. Its this kind of behavior that created a backlash against poor people in the city (and yes, not everyone is guilty of that). If you need to talk to your friends, invite them to your place or you go there's.
Some people go overboard with the noise, but cmon man, some of these people come into the neighborhood and start to complain (and even call police) about everything, thus pissing off all the natives of the block. There's an area around here where everyone on the block knows that on Saturday nights Mexicans take over this little park that ??THEY BUILT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BLOCK?? to gazzle beers, play volleyball, blast mariachi. They come out with the whole family from Grampa down to Wifey and the 5 year old in the sling. Everyone in that hood knows this, its nothing new and its been going on forever. Everyone has long gotten used to the noise, which is the mostly music.

Two out of towners move in on the block -- and on the third weekend of moving in, he hides by his window and calls police on my mexicanos just trying enjoy their damn life on a block they've been on forever. The video of him making the call is on youtube somewhere as he was also filming the Mexicans to show police at the precinct the next day.

Long story short, they knew instantly who called the cops on them and the entire block ended up running them out.

This is just an microcosm of what is meant when people are said to be "changing the character of the city". Which is what these two individuals attempted to do to their block. The Moral? At least do some research and ask some damn questions to your potential neighbors before you just try to plant flag anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City