U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-25-2013, 07:09 PM
 
2,345 posts, read 3,330,179 times
Reputation: 1864

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
My two cents: I am basically ill-informed about Bedsuy, except that a close friend owns a house there and my youngest brother lives there - in the "good" area, which apparently IS quite limited.

In spite of the "good" area thing, in the past year he has been attacked and robbed twice, his roommate (female) three times, and their landlady as well.
Wow. I, a woman, have not been attacked or robbed, nor has anyone in my rather large building been attacked (though we had a break in when the building wasn't fully occupied).

You've got 4 miles of neighborhood about a quarter of it is "good". A mile is pretty large for a nyc neighborhood. The other areas may catch up (because real estate prices in the so called bad sections are getting insane). So much so that there seems to be an article evey other week about the popularity of Bed Stuy real estate. Though in the same breath I will say that there were a rash of shootings over he 4th of July weekend. Didn't stop people from lining up for open houses the next weekend though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2013, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Bed-Stuy & Bushwick
420 posts, read 549,631 times
Reputation: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Wow. I, a woman, have not been attacked or robbed, nor has anyone in my rather large building been attacked (though we had a break in when the building wasn't fully occupied).

You've got 4 miles of neighborhood about a quarter of it is "good". A mile is pretty large for a nyc neighborhood. The other areas may catch up (because real estate prices in the so called bad sections are getting insane). So much so that there seems to be an article evey other week about the popularity of Bed Stuy real estate. Though in the same breath I will say that there were a rash of shootings over he 4th of July weekend. Didn't stop people from lining up for open houses the next weekend though...
Oh yes baby. That's that questionable statement I was waiting for. Just curious, what is the radius of the "good" sections of Bed Stuy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Florida
88 posts, read 201,640 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I agree that he does. Its just that rather than reading and comprehending what someone writes, he rather just go on attack mode and state all is false. Either way, I'm headed to your old neighborhood right now, and I guarantee that nothing bad will happen to me, nor will I see anything worse than what I'd see in any other neighborhood.
You're going to Bed stuy??? Tell me if its really as different as everyone says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 07:42 PM
 
2,345 posts, read 3,330,179 times
Reputation: 1864
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM NYC View Post
G-Dale was right about the fact that Bushwick now gives people more reason to come there. I live in Bed-Stuy and I can't see one reason for an outsider to come here unless they're visiting someone. We've always had our lil community thing going, but nothing anyone should be compelled to come to like that. Now people try to plant flag by putting up a bunch of questionable Williamsburg type establishments: gimmicky coffee shops, baby clothes boutiques and all these out of place businesses that flop within weeks. Bushwick on the other hand is developing a thriving art, music, and party scene in places where only 8 years ago I saw heroin addicts trying to share needles with ghosts nightly. The Bushwick Arts festival last months had 500 events in Bushwick in three days. Yes 500.
You sure you live in Bed Stuy? The reason these types of stores are oping up is because the population is shifting. And the new population doesn't want to have to go to Williamsburg for a drink, or a meal, or a coffee. Some of the establishments gain notoriety & people will come from outside to visit. Do or Dine is really the main one, for now. I don't expect Bed Stuy to become a destination place for "outsiders" until there are multiple destination bars/resteraunts- and usually all lined up on one street. If that happens, it won't be for many years but will likely happen on Bedford Ave - as it has the tupe of storefront real estate to support it. Also new places are one of the tell tale signs of gentrification, and if you pay attention, there is quite the uptick in baby strollers- which means these people are moving in and starting families not just moving in because they are broke students or artists.

As for new business failing, it's very hard to start a successful one - especially food establishments. They are known to have the highest failure rate. That's not a Bed Stuy thing, that's a national thing. However, I've only noticed one failed establishment in my area of he neighborhood. A restaurant with good food but horrible service. The other two that disappeared didn't fail, something happened with their lease because the whole space (they were next door) was bought and is going to be a bar called Bedford Hall (modeled after Union Hall). Its owned by the same guy that owns Moe's in Ft Greene. Oh there is one other place in my area that's having issues and it's because the owner was hit by a car while with her toddler and he was killed (or maybe he's in a coma). The vast majority of the new places made it past the 1 year mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 07:55 PM
 
2,345 posts, read 3,330,179 times
Reputation: 1864
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM NYC View Post
Oh yes baby. That's that questionable statement I was waiting for. Just curious, what is the radius of the "good" sections of Bed Stuy?
Good (as defined by exorbitant real estate prices, white people, "talented 10th" black people, and the new business that cater to this crowd):

Western Bed Stuy: Classon to Nostrand (west/east) and Myrtle to Fulton (north/south). Note that Myrtle to Flushing is solidly Hasidic so I excluded it but would unarguably be considered "good"
Central Bed Stuy: The landmarked area of Stuyvesant Heights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
5,473 posts, read 9,202,491 times
Reputation: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
You sure you live in Bed Stuy? The reason these types of stores are oping up is because the population is shifting. And the new population doesn't want to have to go to Williamsburg for a drink, or a meal, or a coffee. Some of the establishments gain notoriety & people will come from outside to visit. Do or Dine is really the main one, for now. I don't expect Bed Stuy to become a destination place for "outsiders" until there are multiple destination bars/resteraunts- and usually all lined up on one street. If that happens, it won't be for many years but will likely happen on Bedford Ave - as it has the tupe of storefront real estate to support it. Also new places are one of the tell tale signs of gentrification, and if you pay attention, there is quite the uptick in baby strollers- which means these people are moving in and starting families not just moving in because they are broke students or artists.

As for new business failing, it's very hard to start a successful one - especially food establishments. They are known to have the highest failure rate. That's not a Bed Stuy thing, that's a national thing. However, I've only noticed one failed establishment in my area of he neighborhood. A restaurant with good food but horrible service. The other two that disappeared didn't fail, something happened with their lease because the whole space (they were next door) was bought and is going to be a bar called Bedford Hall (modeled after Union Hall). Its owned by the same guy that owns Moe's in Ft Greene. Oh there is one other place in my area that's having issues and it's because the owner was hit by a car while with her toddler and he was killed (or maybe he's in a coma). The vast majority of the new places made it past the 1 year mark.
Uptick in baby strollers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 08:15 PM
 
9,957 posts, read 7,711,184 times
Reputation: 4702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dre View Post
You're going to Bed stuy??? Tell me if its really as different as everyone says.
I'm a bit timid to answer because I know some are just waiting to trash my response. I never lived there. In the past I would just avoid the whole area, now I use it often out of convenience. I've never felt threatened, then again I don't wander around late at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 08:32 PM
 
23,265 posts, read 16,096,003 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM NYC View Post
Some people go overboard with the noise, but cmon man, some of these people come into the neighborhood and start to complain (and even call police) about everything, thus pissing off all the natives of the block. There's an area around here where everyone on the block knows that on Saturday nights Mexicans take over this little park that ??THEY BUILT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BLOCK?? to gazzle beers, play volleyball, blast mariachi. They come out with the whole family from Grampa down to Wifey and the 5 year old in the sling. Everyone in that hood knows this, its nothing new and its been going on forever. Everyone has long gotten used to the noise, which is the mostly music.

Two out of towners move in on the block -- and on the third weekend of moving in, he hides by his window and calls police on my mexicanos just trying enjoy their damn life on a block they've been on forever. The video of him making the call is on youtube somewhere as he was also filming the Mexicans to show police at the precinct the next day.

Long story short, they knew instantly who called the cops on them and the entire block ended up running them out.

This is just an microcosm of what is meant when people are said to be "changing the character of the city". Which is what these two individuals attempted to do to their block. The Moral? At least do some research and ask some damn questions to your potential neighbors before you just try to plant flag anywhere.
Mexicans haven't lived in NYC forever, they've only been in a few years. The man was an idiot for putting a video him calling the police or leaving a trail where they could find out who called the cops (or obviously filming them was stupid too). But beyond that, he's paying rent here, and if they are disturbing the police, its illegal. Period. Act like civilized human beings, not WILD BEASTS as the ZOO. So again, don't people's mother's teach them out to behave outside the home? Don't people's mothers teach them decency? It disturbs working people (and students) to have to hear ridiculous noise like that. I guess these people would know that if they really worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Bed-Stuy & Bushwick
420 posts, read 549,631 times
Reputation: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
You sure you live in Bed Stuy? The reason these types of stores are oping up is because the population is shifting.
Yes.. I'm sure I live in Bed Stuy. I'm sure I was born there too. I didn't say I didn't understand WHY the businesses are opening up, and I'm not necessarily against that type of thing OR gentrification for the most part. Don't you know I predicted gentrification? I'm just saying people are jumping the gun with these things, getting overly optimistic and jumpin with two feet before the pool is even 1 foot. The community for the most part is not primed for this type of thing yet, especially the portions where you are seeing these things popping up. It's ridiculous. it crashes all around them. I saw the same thing happen to dumbo when it was taking baby steps to become what it is today.

And just to answer your other question, yes those upticks of baby strollers are only because I'm loving all the new females in the area..

Last edited by ROAM; 07-25-2013 at 11:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 10:25 PM
 
23,265 posts, read 16,096,003 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Mexicans haven't lived in NYC forever, they've only been in a few years. The man was an idiot for putting a video him calling the police or leaving a trail where they could find out who called the cops (or obviously filming them was stupid too). But beyond that, he's paying rent here, and if they are disturbing the police, its illegal. Period. Act like civilized human beings, not WILD BEASTS as the ZOO. So again, don't people's mother's teach them out to behave outside the home? Don't people's mothers teach them decency? It disturbs working people (and students) to have to hear ridiculous noise like that. I guess these people would know that if they really worked.
And that is not an anti Mexican rant, but it is an anti low class behavior rant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top