Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 10:13 AM

26 posts, read 37,218 times

Advertisements

Your future is a bit more pessimistic.... the thing I would add is the past doesn't always predict the future. The exodus to suburbs and crack infiltration, followed by generation who want to live in urban environments are seismic shifts. But at some point balance must be struck where change slows, inflows equal outflows. ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 10:19 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
The two swaths of gentrification, the one expanding out of Williamsburg into Bushwick and the one pushing out from Fort Greene/Clinton Hill into Bed-Stuy have been starting to meet, especially with the G train and now the J/M. As that's happening gentrification is going to go at an even faster rate. It's a bit like an amoeba.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:29 AM

It is interesting... some one had pointed out decades ago one group had started buying brownstones in bk and another of artist swept through manhattan into williamsburg... now they finally are colliding. Maybe it will just make a big ass cool neighborhood with all types.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:34 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,014 times
The 'elements of gentrification' is already at Chauncey St (J/Z line) and Wilson Ave (L line) and Utica Ave (A/C line) where I'm seeing white folks getting on and off at day and night. It is....... what it is....

Old 07-28-2013, 01:09 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
The 'elements of gentrification' is already at Chauncey St (J/Z line) and Wilson Ave (L line) and Utica Ave (A/C line) where I'm seeing white folks getting on and off at day and night. It is....... what it is....
All of them are barrelling towards Broadway Junction. Yoga studio and winebar probably within a decade.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:08 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
All of them are barrelling towards Broadway Junction. Yoga studio and winebar probably within a decade.
Very possible. All the past arguments here and elsewhere about gentrification would never push into the interior and it's happening. 2020.. Woodhaven and Richmond Hill will be taken

Old 07-28-2013, 03:26 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
I've had young white friends who were a part of this gentrification of Western Brooklyn. They had jobs. They weren't particularly well off, but were able to afford places in these areas because they had roommates. Typically a few years later, unless they met specific career goals or income standards, they moved on.

Its one thing when you're 22 to live with 4 roommates. That is not only unviable when you want to start a family, as the years go on, it gets OLD big time.

Also, I think gentrification in Manhattan has killed the things that attracted people to the city in the first place. The city had a thriving club scene, wonderful ethnic restaurants (cheap), and certain other unique small businesses. You had gay bars that became famous to point of attracting people like Rihanna, Katy Perry, Madonna, Patti LaBelle, among others.

Now Splash, the remaining biggest gay bar in Manhattan, is CLOSING. Basically, a lot of gays (including white gays) were priced out of Manhattan. If they remain in NYC, they moved to Brooklyn.

Gentrification is definitely wiping out gay clubs (Urge and Rawhide both closed earlier this year), to a lesser degree straight bars, and ethnic restaurants in the most convenient areas in favor of WalGreens, and other national chain stores. The problem is since any town USA will already have these chains, what makes NYC unique if it wipes out everything that made it attractive?

In two years, I will have to meet other gay men at Starbucks. That's where the city is going. So I'll be out of town by then, of course.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:32 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This was made only by a couple of possible things. A lot of these gentrifiers once would have lived, or did live in Manhattan. Especially in tenement housing. However, the city TORE down lots of tenement housing in Manhattan neighborhoods, pushing residents out and making that housing unavailable to artists and students (new buildings became condo buildings). So since gays, students, artists recent graduates all had no HOPE of getting a place in Manhattan, they had to go the outer boroughs and many chose Brooklyn. Many of these people are living multiple people to an apartment, so its not like they have some sort of well of living deal as they move into these spaces.

The other thing is, when Manhattan had a lot more of these populations, one key advantage is Manhattan is very walkable. Things are much further apartment in Brooklyn. Brooklyn may not have the same long term appeal as Manhattan, and these people may be gone a few years.

But will Brownsville itsself gentrify? Do people really want to live that far away from work in large numbers? A few people will do it, but en masse? It remains to be seen.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
You sure you live in Bed Stuy? The reason these types of stores are oping up is because the population is shifting. And the new population doesn't want to have to go to Williamsburg for a drink, or a meal, or a coffee. Some of the establishments gain notoriety & people will come from outside to visit. Do or Dine is really the main one, for now. I don't expect Bed Stuy to become a destination place for "outsiders" until there are multiple destination bars/resteraunts- and usually all lined up on one street. If that happens, it won't be for many years but will likely happen on Bedford Ave - as it has the tupe of storefront real estate to support it. Also new places are one of the tell tale signs of gentrification, and if you pay attention, there is quite the uptick in baby strollers- which means these people are moving in and starting families not just moving in because they are broke students or artists.

As for new business failing, it's very hard to start a successful one - especially food establishments. They are known to have the highest failure rate. That's not a Bed Stuy thing, that's a national thing. However, I've only noticed one failed establishment in my area of he neighborhood. A restaurant with good food but horrible service. The other two that disappeared didn't fail, something happened with their lease because the whole space (they were next door) was bought and is going to be a bar called Bedford Hall (modeled after Union Hall). Its owned by the same guy that owns Moe's in Ft Greene. Oh there is one other place in my area that's having issues and it's because the owner was hit by a car while with her toddler and he was killed (or maybe he's in a coma). The vast majority of the new places made it past the 1 year mark.

Hey can you elaborate on these bars? Where/when is Bedford hall opening? I scoured the web after reading your post and only saw a dnainfo article, but the link didn't work... Also, I saw the mission Dolores and bar great Harry owners were opening a spot in bedstuy too, do you know where this is going to be?

Old 07-28-2013, 06:34 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Then keep my name out of your posts. My agenda? I'd think that anyone from ridgewood, Glendale, middle village and maspeth would love to see both Bushwick and bed stuy change for the better. A lot of the people in these neighborhoods at one time came from Brooklyn due to white flight, they just never headed for the hills of long island or south Florida like most others that evacuated the slums. There was always the concern that blight would keep spreading from Bushwick to ridgewood, then to Glendale and maspeth, etc... reason why the 104th precincts concentrates on the Brooklyn border, because the way you now see hipster spillover from different neighborhoods today, they were worried (and still are) about crime spilling over (and rightfully so). I'm sure that many, if not most, of the people that the 104th arrests are from Bushwick. Nevertheless, due to the changes that are going on in bushwick and bed stuy, this is the first time in history that ridgewood and Glendale are assured that they have no chance of going down the wrong path to the extent that Bushwick has in the past. Some call it an agenda, others call it hope that one day no one will be forced to live in these super slums, which is what most of Bushwick was.

Anon, try to read slowly and understand before going off on some crazy man rant. Btw, the NYC department of planning, the board of education, and the census bureau all consider that part of east Williamsburg as Bushwick. So it is hard for anyone to know what to believe. I made the mistake of driving through that area last night. Some event was going on and there were young white people everywhere. I'm talking thousands, flowing from the sidewalks into the streets because there were so many. Even down Wilson, Irving, and wyckoff, they were everywhere.
https://www.facebook.com/robertasrestaurant

what area is zip code 11206?

East Williamsburg, Brooklyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

where was this information taken from?

City of Neighborhoods - New York City Department of City Planning

Further info on Roberta's pizza and it's location and the location of the Block party listed as Bushwick block party...

Roberta's - East Williamsburg - New York, NY

So here we go again, with you discussing my lack of comprehension and knowledge on certain topics and yet here I go again, disproving every single piece of misinformation you mention... Can we just agree to disagree and stop discussing the same points that you've clearly been shown to be wrong numerous times already...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City