U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 07:39 AM

46 posts, read 176,003 times

Advertisements

quote=NyWriterdude;30656699]Didn't your mother teach you how to behave in public? Disturbing the peace is not cool. Its this kind of behavior that created a backlash against poor people in the city (and yes, not everyone is guilty of that). If you need to talk to your friends, invite them to your place or you go there's.[/quote]

Are you serious? Didn't my mom teach me to behave in public? Who is disturbing the peace? They are lucky that we only sit outside on Friday nights! That block is the quietest in the area! It's literally a group of 6 women that sit outside to catch up (working professional women, most making 6 figures) btw. It's difficult since we have all married and moved to different areas of the city or in my case to Jersey. Our kids catch up as well and it's all in good fun. Don't get me wrong, there are 2 or 3 white couples that stop and talk to us and have become good friends and they love the fact that on Friday's in the summer's we make it our mission to meet up. Why meet up inside? We used to hang outside every day back in the day with music blasting and nobody complained. Now we have no music, just sit outside and it bothers them? They better go somewhere else with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:02 PM

2,357 posts, read 3,340,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk333 View Post
Hey can you elaborate on these bars? Where/when is Bedford hall opening? I scoured the web after reading your post and only saw a dnainfo article, but the link didn't work... Also, I saw the mission Dolores and bar great Harry owners were opening a spot in bedstuy too, do you know where this is going to be?
Mo's Owner Bringing Union Hall-Inspired Bar to Bed-Stuy - Bed-Stuy - DNAinfo.com New York

It was supposed to open in June but has missed the mark. Walked by it the other day and it looks almost ready so I hope soon.

That other bar is going to be on Franklin just off of Fulton.

There is also another new bar on Fulton. Can't remember the name but I think it's right by the C train.

I hear about most of these things from Brownstoner.com. It's pretty good with keeping up on the neighborhood.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:25 PM

10,009 posts, read 7,752,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
That isn't the case with Bed-stuy... Just like Downtown Brooklyn, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill and any other number of areas that have similar building styles, the people moving into these areas for the most part aren't the broke and desperate looking for a quick cheap temporary apartment as is the case with Bushwick but rather the ones looking to invest in the area because they see the potential... And again, just like jad2k said, the gentrification is being driven by all types not just by the group everyone loves to speak about on here... It's why Stuy Heights and other areas in Bed-stuy are starting to take off despite the crime whereas Bushwick if you really know the area, you'll see hasn't changed culture wise all that much...
Someone seems to think that Bushwick is worth investing in:
978 Bushwick Avenue : Curbed NY

Old 07-30-2013, 03:33 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,748,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Someone seems to think that Bushwick is worth investing in:
978 Bushwick Avenue : Curbed NY
And the next avenue you're in Bed-stuy... Bushwick avenue especially along that Williamsburg/Bed-stuy border actually has some nice buildings... This isn't so much about Bushwick as it is about certain sections of Bushwick avenue having more in common with Bed-stuy's building plan as opposed to Bushwick proper... Nothing more, nothing less... Good job searching for that one article to try and prove your point though... Decent attempt...

Old 07-30-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
And the next avenue you're in Bed-stuy... Bushwick avenue especially along that Williamsburg/Bed-stuy border actually has some nice buildings... This isn't so much about Bushwick as it is about certain sections of Bushwick avenue having more in common with Bed-stuy's building plan as opposed to Bushwick proper... Nothing more, nothing less... Good job searching for that one article to try and prove your point though... Decent attempt...
Yep, Brewers' Row. Once you cross over that border you are in probably the worst section of Bed-Stuy, rather than Stuyvesant Heights. Not really trying to prove a point, just think you're an idiot. Not sure why those detached mansions in Bushwick would have much more in common with the attached brownstones in Bed-Stuy rather than the rest of Bushwick. I think the architecture has more in common with Highland Park. Nevertheless, it is in Bushwick and sold for $1.225m, which I personally find to be a ridiculous price tag. And that goes for anything that sells for over $1m in Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights, and even Clinton Hill. The latter maybe not so much.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:17 PM

20,264 posts, read 21,847,553 times
Quote:
That's definitely in Bushwick, so he's got that right. If you're going to argue on technicalities of other places not counting because they're in East Williamsburg, then you should at least be consistent and just let him say what's in Bushwick is actually in Bushwick without having to qualify everything.

No, Bushwick is not nearly as gentrified as some people make it out to be. However, you do have to admit there has been noticeable change and gentrification in some parts of Bushwick. I sort of expected what I saw along the L train stops within Bushwick, but the stuff along the M train was new to me. I'm guessing maybe the new service pattern that takes the M up 6th Avenue accelerated things.

Really, if the city wants to accelerate gentrification, running full M service over weeknights and weekends would probably do a lot. Also, making that connecting G/J/M service over the current Broadway G station would probably do it, too.

EDIT: Looks like M train service is expanding somewhat

Old 07-30-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Yep, Brewers' Row. Once you cross over that border you are in probably the worst section of Bed-Stuy, rather than Stuyvesant Heights. Not really trying to prove a point, just think you're an idiot. Not sure why those detached mansions in Bushwick would have much more in common with the attached brownstones in Bed-Stuy rather than the rest of Bushwick. I think the architecture has more in common with Highland Park. Nevertheless, it is in Bushwick and sold for $1.225m, which I personally find to be a ridiculous price tag. And that goes for anything that sells for over $1m in Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights, and even Clinton Hill. The latter maybe not so much.
The inertior of that house is beautiful. I think the point is that the detail of the interior is reminiscent of what you find in brownstones- especially the woodwork.

Personally I don't like Bushwick. It's just an aesthetic thing but If most of the houses looked like this one, I'd feel another way. That price might seem insane but the person who bought it made a calculated decision AND clearly had the money to spend. People who have money can and do! $1.2M isnt a lot if you 1) can afford it and 2) the place is exactly what you're looking for. Also, the configuration of that place with the rental units probably means the owner will have tenants paying for (a little/a lot of?) their monthlies.

Oh, and I encourage people to check out what all the brownstone hype is about in Bed Stuy and Crown Heights by taking a tour. Not of the outside but the insides. They are offered yearly. I've only been on the Bed Stuy one and it was jaw dropping amazing. The Crown Heights North one will be the first weekend in October. House Tour - Crown heights North Association

Old 07-30-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
The inertior of that house is beautiful. I think the point is that the detail of the interior is reminiscent of what you find in brownstones- especially the woodwork.

Personally I don't like Bushwick. It's just an aesthetic thing but If most of the houses looked like this one, I'd feel another way. That price might seem insane but the person who bought it made a calculated decision AND clearly had the money to spend. People who have money can and do! $1.2M isnt a lot if you 1) can afford it and 2) the place is exactly what you're looking for. Also, the configuration of that place with the rental units probably means the owner will have tenants paying for (a little/a lot of?) their monthlies.

Oh, and I encourage people to check out what all the brownstone hype is about in Bed Stuy and Crown Heights by taking a tour. Not of the outside but the insides. They are offered yearly. I've only been on the Bed Stuy one and it was jaw dropping amazing. The Crown Heights North one will be the first weekend in October. House Tour - Crown heights North Association
I guess. Just can't imagine paying more than twice as much to live in a neighborhood with more than twice as much crime. I understand the whole aesthetic thing. Bed-stuy has a lot of them with a lot of variation. Maybe as many or even more than any other neighborhood to the west.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:31 PM

Ok now I'm the first one that's all pro Bed Stuy especially when it comes to gentrification but this one has got me floored

House of the Day: 583 Putnam Avenue | Brownstoner

Brownstone listing prices have now gone past the $2 million mark. Biggie is surely rolling in his grave. The question is how close they'll get to asking...

Old 08-01-2013, 07:21 AM

3,039 posts, read 5,748,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Ok now I'm the first one that's all pro Bed Stuy especially when it comes to gentrification but this one has got me floored

House of the Day: 583 Putnam Avenue | Brownstoner

Brownstone listing prices have now gone past the $2 million mark. Biggie is surely rolling in his grave. The question is how close they'll get to asking...
20 bucks says the actual price it's sold for doesn't get an article... Any takers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City