U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 02:42 PM

286 posts, read 257,602 times

Advertisements

I'm already starting to see signs of it moving to Broadway Junction and eastward. I've lived in and around the ENY since the 90's, we still own a brick row house of off Pitkin ave. I was a teenager in the 90's and remember the bad ole days. People complain about crime now have no clue what it was like before, some say the glass is half full some say half empty. I'm seeing hipster types jogging and biking in and around Highland park, spill over from Bushwick I guess. Since you can drive down bushwick ave. and see them even as far as Stewart st. near the Popeyes. It's only a matter of time before they find out about all the old brick/victorian/wood frame houses in the Cypress Hills part of ENY, theres a YMCA and the city is fixing up the old reservoir at the top of highland, signs of things to come. I've worked in Chealsea, Midtown and SoHo and never really had a problem getting there in 30 to 40 minutes max since the A runs express. ENY is really close to Rockaway as well, i used to bike from my place before it became such a hipster hangout. I doubt Brownsville will change much since theres so many projects and ugly housing. Cypress hills has no projects, is next to bushwick and Bed-Stuy, transit is easy and the houses are dirt cheap compared to other parts. This neighborhood really isn't the Boogeyman everyone makes it out to be and only a few years ago bushwick, bedstuy and crown heights were regarded the same. The projects aren't moving anywhere but everyone else will get pushed into Queens or probably out of state completely. Good luck Florida and Pennsylvania, seems to be where to old neighborhood is going. I've been living in the south bronx for the last few years and we're starting to see spillover from Harlem and not just in Port morris but mott haven up by Jackson ave. so I guess anything is possible. Mott Haven is another one of those Diamond in the rough like ENY, I don't know why people are so scared to explore, just google map street view it first. you'll see a ton of historic houses that people pay $1mil for in bedstuy. check out the house on the corner of Warwick ave. and Ridgewood ave or the block of Miller ave. between Pitkin and Belmont ave. it's even better in person. For some Bronx love check out Kelly st. between 156 st. and Longwood ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 03:51 PM

9,916 posts, read 7,681,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianbeef View Post
the city is fixing up the old reservoir at the top of highland, signs of things to come
What's the deal with the reservoir? When will they be opening it up to the public?

Heard ENY wants them turned into turf fields, but Ridgewood/Glendale wants it as a nature preserve.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:26 PM

14,795 posts, read 17,404,166 times
Quote:
I'm already starting to see signs of it moving to Broadway Junction and eastward. I've lived in and around the ENY since the 90's, we still own a brick row house of off Pitkin ave. I was a teenager in the 90's and remember the bad ole days. People complain about crime now have no clue what it was like before, some say the glass is half full some say half empty. I'm seeing hipster types jogging and biking in and around Highland park, spill over from Bushwick I guess. Since you can drive down bushwick ave. and see them even as far as Stewart st. near the Popeyes. It's only a matter of time before they find out about all the old brick/victorian/wood frame houses in the Cypress Hills part of ENY, theres a YMCA and the city is fixing up the old reservoir at the top of highland, signs of things to come. I've worked in Chealsea, Midtown and SoHo and never really had a problem getting there in 30 to 40 minutes max since the A runs express. ENY is really close to Rockaway as well, i used to bike from my place before it became such a hipster hangout. I doubt Brownsville will change much since theres so many projects and ugly housing. Cypress hills has no projects, is next to bushwick and Bed-Stuy, transit is easy and the houses are dirt cheap compared to other parts. This neighborhood really isn't the Boogeyman everyone makes it out to be and only a few years ago bushwick, bedstuy and crown heights were regarded the same. The projects aren't moving anywhere but everyone else will get pushed into Queens or probably out of state completely. Good luck Florida and Pennsylvania, seems to be where to old neighborhood is going. I've been living in the south bronx for the last few years and we're starting to see spillover from Harlem and not just in Port morris but mott haven up by Jackson ave. so I guess anything is possible. Mott Haven is another one of those Diamond in the rough like ENY, I don't know why people are so scared to explore, just google map street view it first. you'll see a ton of historic houses that people pay $1mil for in bedstuy. check out the house on the corner of Warwick ave. and Ridgewood ave or the block of Miller ave. between Pitkin and Belmont ave. it's even better in person. For some Bronx love check out Kelly st. between 156 st. and Longwood ave.
Around Jackson Avenue, southern Boulevard I see a sprinkles of out of placed people all the time! I saw one woman wearing her college tracksuit jogging. And another couple with a back pack. Scandinavian type guy jogging through the Mitchell pjs. Mott Haven is a diamonf in the rough. I don't expect places like Mott Haven, ENY Cypress Hill, and others to fully gentrify if any but just receive spill over!

Old 08-21-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
What's the deal with the reservoir? When will they be opening it up to the public?

Heard ENY wants them turned into turf fields, but Ridgewood/Glendale wants it as a nature preserve.
I think they are just fixing/cleaning up the existing paths and lighting for now but they haven't picked one of the 3 proposals yet. I hope most of it stays as a nature preserve, Highland has enough fields when you include the ones up by the Jackie Robinson entrance. I used to go up there with my friends in the 90's it really feels like an escape at the top. it's a great park most people don't know about, I remember the summer concerts La Mega would throw every year.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Around Jackson Avenue, southern Boulevard I see a sprinkles of out of placed people all the time! I saw one woman wearing her college tracksuit jogging. And another couple with a back pack. Scandinavian type guy jogging through the Mitchell pjs. Mott Haven is a diamonf in the rough. I don't expect places like Mott Haven, ENY Cypress Hill, and others to fully gentrify if any but just receive spill over!
There's definitely a good amount of Columbia kids in the area by 138th and 3rd ave. I saw a group of them walking around with their school sweaters heading north by the car wash before the bridge 4 dyas ago. Occasionally i'll see guys on fixed gear bikes zooming through the neighborhood. I doubt the way real estate is being gobbled up in the eastern parts on Bed-Stuy and Bushwick with $1Mil + sales can continue forever, so my hopes are that more middle class people who still want that historic/brownstone looking neighborhood will start buying in ENY and Mott Haven at more reasonable prices. Williamsburg is definitely not the goal but more of a Clinton Hill/Fort Greene vibe would be better, calm neighborhood with some cafe's, shops and restaurants with a mixed demographic. Even if that happens i'm sure it'll be contained to the south and west bronx (Fordham, Kingsbridge), East and northern parts are too long of a commute and not so historic looking. Alexander ave. is our best example of potential, There's a Park Slope type couple (late 30's w/kids) that owns the best looking brownstone on the corner of 139th and Alexander ave, but there's a lot more brick houses east of there. I don't work in real estate but I grew up in this city and it's crazy to see the change, makes you think anything is possible.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:52 AM

23,250 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Yes, they stand out because there's so few of them. LOL if they were more common you'd scarely notice them or be aware of them! LOL

Old 08-21-2013, 11:56 AM

23,250 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Quote:
There's definitely a good amount of Columbia kids in the area by 138th and 3rd ave. I saw a group of them walking around with their school sweaters heading north by the car wash before the bridge 4 dyas ago. Occasionally i'll see guys on fixed gear bikes zooming through the neighborhood. I doubt the way real estate is being gobbled up in the eastern parts on Bed-Stuy and Bushwick with $1Mil + sales can continue forever, so my hopes are that more middle class people who still want that historic/brownstone looking neighborhood will start buying in ENY and Mott Haven at more reasonable prices. Williamsburg is definitely not the goal but more of a Clinton Hill/Fort Greene vibe would be better, calm neighborhood with some cafe's, shops and restaurants with a mixed demographic. Even if that happens i'm sure it'll be contained to the south and west bronx (Fordham, Kingsbridge), East and northern parts are too long of a commute and not so historic looking. Alexander ave. is our best example of potential, There's a Park Slope type couple (late 30's w/kids) that owns the best looking brownstone on the corner of 139th and Alexander ave, but there's a lot more brick houses east of there. I don't work in real estate but I grew up in this city and it's crazy to see the change, makes you think anything is possible.
In order for ENY to change, where is the city going to move all the housing project people and people on NYCHA programs? Ditto for the South Bronx, which has a lot of projects and NYCHA facilities too. You aren't getting middle class people buying in these areas in any significant amount until you somehow deal with the bad elements there or get rid of them. I mean, you could demolish the projects, but that's going to cost a lot of money, plus you'd have to have social workers resettle them and help them find work, and in the interim you'd have to give them Section 8 vouchers for housing elsewhere.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:02 PM

20,115 posts, read 21,729,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
In order for ENY to change, where is the city going to move all the housing project people and people on NYCHA programs? Ditto for the South Bronx, which has a lot of projects and NYCHA facilities too. You aren't getting middle class people buying in these areas in any significant amount until you somehow deal with the bad elements there or get rid of them. I mean, you could demolish the projects, but that's going to cost a lot of money, plus you'd have to have social workers resettle them and help them find work, and in the interim you'd have to give them Section 8 vouchers for housing elsewhere.
There's some privatization that's happened in the past, but even with that there's a gradual transition rather than a change virtually overnight.

I don't think that much of ENY is going to gentrify within this decade or the South Bronx, but there will be significant patches of it especially close to major transit junctions. The area around Broadway Junction in Bed-Stuy close to ENY being one of those.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:11 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,732,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There's some privatization that's happened in the past, but even with that there's a gradual transition rather than a change virtually overnight.

I don't think that much of ENY is going to gentrify within this decade or the South Bronx, but there will be significant patches of it especially close to major transit junctions. The area around Broadway Junction in Bed-Stuy close to ENY being one of those.
Broadway Junction is still a very crappy area though... It's right smack in the middle of the worst parts of what are arguably still the four worst areas in Brooklyn... Not too far from there is the purple zone in Brownsville by Mother Gaston... I think the J line in Cypress Hills like Colombian Beef said has a much better chance of receiving spillover from other areas than the L or 3 lines...

Two reasons I don't see it ever having a dramatic shift but rather a spill over from other areas is due to the fact that the majority of the housing stock in Cypress Hills has more in common with the south queens areas (Woodhaven, Ozone Park, Jamaica, South Jamaica... than a Bed-stuy, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, etc.) I'll agree with Colombian Beef on the Jamaica ave side of Highland Park having some potential but IMO that's really the nicest part of Cypress Hills and that's not saying much...

The second reason is that since the rents there are still very cheap by NYC standards and the area is still largely unnoticed by the transient folk, the hispanics, indo carribbeans and caribbean people are the main ones moving into that area now. It's why the neighborhood improved so much. The former 3rd or 4th generation section 8/welfare crowd left and in came the first generation hard working immigrant folk to replace them... Is it crime free? No; but it definitely is way better than it used to be...

Old 08-21-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Williamsburg, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Park Slope, Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights and Bushwick still have their Projects. Your example of Chelsea even has projects. LES, Alphabet City even the Projects by city hall are still standing. East NY only has projects near Linden Blvd which is the far south end of the neighborhood, Section 8 is no more (no new entries into the program) and once Landlords start seeing that they can get better quality tenants who will pay as much if no more than section 8 with less hassle then they will find ways to get out of the program. We have a huge development going on right now at the Gateway Shopping center, retailers like Target, Marshalls and bed bath and beyond have been there for a few years now but it's being expanded for retailers such as Gap, JcPenny and TJ MAxx: if that isn't catering to middle class families and bringing jobs at the same time I don't know what is. Here's the Crains article:

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/130219946

The city is almost done with building the national park part of the Gateway National recreational areas right across from the Gateway center as well, not to mention all the new housing being built behind the mall.

Directions - Gateway National Recreation Area

The South Bronx has had a new shopping center by Yankees stadium for some time now, Third ave./The Hub is getting funding to make it into a viable downtown like downtown brooklyn has become. They just finished renovating the builing on 149th st and opened a boutique hotel, heres the article:

The South Bronx Gets Its First Boutique Hotel | Commercial Observer

On top of that theres a new shopping center slated to be built right across the street from the hotel, again if that isn't catering to middle class then what is:

Development coincides with other improvements at Hub in South Bronx

Concerning middle class buyers, a lot of the people looking to buy in Bed-Stuy and other parts are being priced out by Investors coming with all cash offers, so there is still people looking in the market for historic looking houses, eventually they'll have to lower expectations and compromise with a longer commute. One day they will justify tearing down the projects but until then people still want to move to this city and once they can market the South Bronx as cool then we will see a big jump in change. I have a house in ENY and my Father-in law has a house in the South BX, every few months guys come knocking making all cash offers they wouldn't be interested if something wasn't in the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City