U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 02:21 PM

14,785 posts, read 17,404,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
We're talking about 2 different parts of the neighborhood. You by the G, and me by the A/C. Hasidics do not count, they've been in the general vicinity for awhile. The area by the G has more of the hipster transplant scene, but I think the area I'm talking about is more gentrified. It was likely always nicer in the first place. Diversity of everything, diversity of goods sold.
Of course Hasidics don't count, but much of the demographic changes in the area were mainly contributed by the Hasidis and not by the Hipster Yuppie Transplant from Ohio and Indiana. I was just saying. Bed Stuy by Pratt is the only part that is nice, especially around the G train stops and not to far From Lafayette with the A train, Plenty of nice homes in that area. Once you go further East in the Bedstuy it start to gets depressing and I have visually walked in Bedstuy a couple a months ago and I noticed this. Hopefully the demand for Brownstones with character can change things, but Bedstuy is still very hood, I remember reading a PDF about how Bedstuy has plenty of child abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 03:24 PM

9,913 posts, read 7,681,611 times
^ Next time in bed stuy, I'd recommend walking around these areas rather than the quasi-hipster part to the northwest.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/download...INAL%20MAP.pdf
http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/download...D_20130115.pdf

Old 07-20-2013, 04:13 PM

88 posts, read 201,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I have to agree. Bed Stuy like Bushwick is receiving spillover from Williamsburg when it comes to gentrification. Western Bedstuy looks nice but eastern bedstuy facing brownsville is a far different story.

Gentrification has pros and cons to it. Pro side of things is that improves vitality of inner city urban living with more street life, cafes, lounges, restaurants, yoga studios and ethnic dance workshops. These slums become highly desirable and increases the demand for space and property value goes up. The con of gentrification is that it does remove a neighborhood ethnic character which is bound to happen. Another thing is economics, gentrification forces longtime residents to move out, by raising property taxes or rent imcreases, most of these people being working and middle class folks who pay the brunt of taxes for the city, many end up moving out to othrr counties all together. Gentrification is good for the city for the short run but it's not sustainable in the longrun. Trends and fads change like example the back to the city movement is in full swing now but will this trend be around in the next ten year enticing young white college grads to move to Boston, NYC, Chicago, SF, snd. Property values go up and also down. With gentrification I have seen and witnessed more poverty and more income inequality. Trickle down effect is a huge failure.

Plenty of them.

Lol. Hell gentrification cant even save Detroit, but guess what gentrification can't save NYC either. NYC has plenty of debt in the billions which will probably never be paid back. Eventually NYC needs to pull its self from pending doom in s generation or so. The city needs to build a new middle class to suistain its self, but that wont happen anytime soon until the wealthy hands over much of its wealth back over to the masses.
Yeah I read somewhere that Jersey owes like 120 billion dollars in future liabilities. They don't owe it now but they will in the future sometime. They make about 28 billion a year. Taxes are killing everyone in the north. Especially the northeastern states. That's why everybody is moving to Florida.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Do you really think that my neighbors and I in Riverdale, NY want this coming into our town?

I think not
Lol oh my god I laughed so hard. I've seen some bronx cats before and they look a hell of a lot more intimidating than that haha

Old 07-20-2013, 04:22 PM

But from what I understand, wouldn't it be Riverdale, Bronx, NYC,NY? I never called bed stuy "bed stuy, NY". But if that's what people in Riverdale like to do then that's fine by me I don't care lol. But it's alright if you are ashamed of the bronx, that's fine. There's plenty of people who hate where they're from. And they have a right to. I didn't like bed stuy or harlem. I don't care about going back there at all. Like I said I haven't been back to NY or any state out of florida since I moved here.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Wow... tell us the urban marvels of Jacksonville
Jacksonville is mostly suburban sprawl. Nothing really urban about it. The downtown is a complete ghost town. Some parts look promising, like the riverside section.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dre View Post
That's why everybody is moving to Florida.
Desirable parts of Florida are far from affordable.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Depends on what you see as desirable. Or affordable. If you want to live in Fort Lauderdale or Miami where all the superstars live then yeah that's definitely far from affordable for most people. You really jist have to choose the right spot. Theres plenty of affordable places down here. But I rarely see anyone who's actually from Florida where I live. They're all from NY and NJ. The people who live across the street are from Livingston, the people next to them are from hoboken I think and the people across from them are from Staten Island or mount Vernon I always forget which one for some reason. It's crazy how many northerners live here.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:25 PM

14,785 posts, read 17,404,166 times
Quote:

: smack:. I need a Long Island Ice Tea!

Old 07-20-2013, 05:54 PM

Generally speaking, desirable in nyc these days is being in manhattan south of 110th st or walking distance to the subway that can take you there in a reasonable amount of time. In Florida, desirable locations would be by the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City