U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 02:55 PM

88 posts, read 201,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Yeah, absolutely a realistic stat. Take a look at this: Full List of Schools - PayScale College Salary Report 2012-13 (I believed they're ranked by "mid-career salary")

The schools with the highest starting salaries are the ones with big engineering programs, which makes sense because engineers make the most on average starting out. I got what most people would consider a really good gig out of school (5 years ago) and I still only made around the bottom end of the range you cited.

In any case there are thousands of kids living in Manhattan who do advertising or PR or something and started out making a lot less than that. Really if you can afford $1000/month for rent you can make it happen with roommates. I'd imagine a lot of these kids have mommy and daddy "helping" them pay the rent, too.
That's crazy man. I would've never guess a whole 99%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 02:56 PM

506 posts, read 840,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dre View Post
That's crazy man. I would've never guess a whole 99%
Obviously I don't know if the 99% stat is true, but it's true the average for nearly every school falls significantly below that. Unless there's a really large standard deviation I'd assume a very small percentage make above that.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
It's weird. Like half of palm beach is amazing and the other half not so much lol. I went there on vacation once.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:00 PM

But from what understand, when the Cuban prisoners came over at first to Miami the crime was out of control. I think that was in the 80s.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Obviously I don't know if the 99% stat is true, but it's true the average for nearly every school falls significantly below that. Unless there's a really large standard deviation I'd assume a very small percentage make above that.
I've been following stocks a lot lately and these hedge fund managers make a lot. A whole lot. Even the people below them still make millions(or at least close to it). What would you say is the average salary straight out of college for kids in that line of work?

Old 07-22-2013, 03:08 PM

But back to the lecture at hand. What neighborhoods have been gentrified the most then? In NYC/NYC surrounding areas and America if you had to say.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:33 PM

14,889 posts, read 17,450,256 times
Quote:
But back to the lecture at hand. What neighborhoods have been gentrified the most then? In NYC/NYC surrounding areas and America if you had to say.
Cities that feature gentrification that is easy. In rest of America, places like SF, Boston, DC, Chicago. These cities are also have plenty of professional jobs which attracts many college graduates to these markets. One city that has the heaviest gentrification is DC. Smaller cities also had gentrification like Seattle, Atlanta, Austin, Dallas but not to the sheer size of bigger cities, also smaller cities are already middle class so there is no need for gentrification compared to larger cities with low income inner city residents like NYC, Chicago, SF. Gentrification is long process. Surrounding areas of NYC might exhibit gentrification like parts of Jersey City and Hoboken which has easy access to Manhattan. There is no gentrification in Westchester County and Nassau County, these areas are middle class plus way to far from the city for yuppies to play and run around. Here in NYC what neighborhood gentrified the most. East Village, LES, Chelsea, Little Italy, New nabes created like Soho, Tribeca and Noho. Hells Kitchen, Harlem and East Harlem is currently and rapidly gentrifying. In Queens there is gentrification in Astoria and Long Island City. In Brooklyn, former Polish enclave of Greenpoint has been gentrifying pushing the Poles to move to Ridgewood. Williamsburg is the poster child of gentrification, Fort Green, Clinton Hill, Park Slope all has gentrified. Bushwick, Bedstuy, Crown Heights, and Red Hook receive Spill over from gentrified nabes. In the Bronx Mott Haven receives spill over from Harlem but in and around the Yankee Stadium area is seeing an increase of Professionals.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:41 PM

It really is changing up there. For the better too.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:44 PM

14,889 posts, read 17,450,256 times
Quote:
It really is changing up there. For the better too.
I live in the area and I noticed new faces in the area and some changes. The area is still ghetto nonetheless but there is a tiny minority of Transplants in the area and a good portion of them are white women, educated minorities, artists and homosexuals.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:44 PM

506 posts, read 840,858 times
Quote:
I've been following stocks a lot lately and these hedge fund managers make a lot. A whole lot. Even the people below them still make millions(or at least close to it). What would you say is the average salary straight out of college for kids in that line of work?
Very few hedge funds will hire kids straight out of college. For their lowest level positions they usually hire people who at least have a couple years of banking or related experience. As far as pay goes, from people I've spoken with they aren't super high, but the bonus potential can be great--that all depends on your performance and the fund's overall performance, though, and performing above and beyond expectations can be really challenging.

One of my good friends who used to work with me at a large investment bank left to go to a very respectable fund in Greenwich. He isn't making millions yet but it seems like that potential exists if he were to do well and move up there. But that's really easier said than done--if it was easy then everyone would do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City