U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Florida
88 posts, read 198,534 times
Reputation: 29

Advertisements

I'm a 43 year old male from brooklyn but I moved out when I was about 32 I believe(Give or take a year or two). I'm from bed stuy oroginally but I used to split time between there and my fathers place in harlem. What is gentrification? I started this account strictly for this reason because I've heard the word thrown around a lot. Especially when everyone talks about what's poppin in NYC. Does it have to do with crime or does it have to do with remodeling buildings and stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Florida
88 posts, read 198,534 times
Reputation: 29
I haven't been to NY since I left and I don't plan on going back honestly. I love Florida. Jacksonville is the place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,881,674 times
Reputation: 300
Is this is a serious question? Some people would say that gentrification is when White people start moving in and Black or Hispanic people start moving out. Others would say it's when professionals of any color start moving in. Either way there's a lot of it going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Florida
88 posts, read 198,534 times
Reputation: 29
Whatever works I guess idk. Idk what tourists fascination is with New York City. I've never seen anything special there that other big cities didnt have to offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:54 PM
 
Location: New York NY
4,104 posts, read 5,866,366 times
Reputation: 8586
I'd think that after the Trayvo verdict, Florida would be a very uncomfortable place to be

But gentrification is when middle and upper middle class people move into poor and working class neighborhoods. They remodel homes, attract better stores, and usually get the city to provide better services. The people who rent there, however, often end up being priced out. You wouldn't recognize parts of Harlem or Bed-Stuy from 12 years ago. And you might not be able to afford them either. A million dollars or more for a brownstone isn't uncommon, and in the strongest parts of these neighborhoods rents are nearing parity with downtown Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
9,827 posts, read 21,365,664 times
Reputation: 3497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dre View Post
Whatever works I guess idk. Idk what tourists fascination is with New York City. I've never seen anything special there that other big cities didnt have to offer
Different personalities. Some people who grew up here can't wait to get out. You seem like the classic case of such a person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:58 PM
 
4,915 posts, read 6,774,631 times
Reputation: 4273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Is this is a serious question? Some people would say that gentrification is when White people start moving in and Black or Hispanic people start moving out. Others would say it's when professionals of any color start moving in. Either way there's a lot of it going on.

Not is Riverdale though . You see, Riverdale is a bedroom community . Here in Riverdale, we are happy with the tight knit community that we have. But would much prefer gentrifier types than riff-raff . Anyway, maybe in the Bronx you will start seeing more and more of this, but not so much in Riverdale, NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 02:05 PM
 
Location: USA
8,016 posts, read 8,987,692 times
Reputation: 3381
gentrification is when rich developers buy up the hoods and ghettos and
previously industrial areas, fix up all the dilapidated houses or tear them
down entirely and rebuild upscale housing for upper class people and
married middle class couples.

it's just modern day pioneering basically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Florida
88 posts, read 198,534 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I'd think that after the Trayvo verdict, Florida would be a very uncomfortable place to be

But gentrification is when middle and upper middle class people move into poor and working class neighborhoods. They remodel homes, attract better stores, and usually get the city to provide better services. The people who rent there, however, often end up being priced out. You wouldn't recognize parts of Harlem or Bed-Stuy from 12 years ago. And you might not be able to afford them either. A million dollars or more for a brownstone isn't uncommon, and in the strongest parts of these neighborhoods rents are nearing parity with downtown Manhattan.
I was hoping for the guilty verdict but I knew it wasn't gonna happen. I think I followed the case pretty well and I just didn't see that much cold evidence. I still wish he got the guilty verdict though. The funny thing I saw was that Kim kardashian on tweeter said something like justice was not served. Her father defended OJ lmao. OJ was found not guilty and good for him but I always had a hard time believing his story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Florida
88 posts, read 198,534 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
It sure as heck beats living in the bronx .
Isn't riverdale in the bronx? I'm not familiar with anywhere other than bed stuy and maybe parts of harlem in new york city so I really wouldn't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top