U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 07:54 AM

13 posts, read 14,287 times

Advertisements

Hi, can anyone tell me if the area at 41st Street and 24th Avenue is considered safe for a young caucasion couple? Family members moving there. What concerns me most is wondering where it is safe to walk a dog at night? Also, does anyone know the safest way to commute to and from Morningside Heights (Teachers College area), especially for someone coming home after 9pm? Any advice is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 11:21 AM

4,841 posts, read 7,875,508 times
It is. That is right off Steinway. You don't have anything to worry about.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:43 AM

Thanks - good to know! Can you tell me if there is a safe park near by?

Old 07-20-2013, 11:57 AM

9,991 posts, read 7,724,082 times
Astoria park under the triboro bridge. It's a bit of a walk.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:18 PM

852 posts, read 812,682 times
Like others have said, that area is very safe, if not a little removed from the trains and the the pal as well. You won't have any problem walking your dog(s.) as far as your commute from Morningside Heights, the M60 would be your best bet, it will take you across 125th street, over the RFK bridge, and along Astoria blvd. you could get off at Steinway, and it wouldn't be too much of a walk home. Since the M60 goes to the airport, bus service is still frequent till late, just be sure to be aware the bus schedules.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:36 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,875,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo2 View Post
Thanks - good to know! Can you tell me if there is a safe park near by?
Astoria Park which is at the western end of Ditmars Blvd is on the other side of the neighborhood from you but is very nice. I go there often, even though I live in Glendale.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:11 PM

274 posts, read 549,745 times
I'll add the area is quite safe and to take the M60. I am not sure if you can say the M60 is frequent -0 at certain times of the day it is but other times it can take up 20 minutes for a bus to come by. But M60 is the fastest way to Morningside Heights.

If the M60 service bus is interrupted there are a few other options - Q101 to Midtown East. For you just take it to the Steinway Street stop in Queens. Best to take for morning commute, return commute will be a bear as the Q101 encounters traffic and double parking in the evening on Steinway Street. Another option is to take the Q19 on Astoria Blvd to Queens Plaza and grab an E or F. Both of these ways most likely will have a longer commute time.

The closest Park is Astoria Park and it is a very good park with fireworks and live orchestra around July 4th week, free concerts in the summer.

Steinway street though not high-end does offer some affordable options for clothes and housewares with a GAP, Bennetton, and Dr Jay's. Some small shops I recommend on Steinway are ZigZag for basic clothes and Fantasy for housewares. Near the end of Steinway on 35th Ave is a 14 theater multiplex and nearby family restaurants as well as some trendier ones and a great museum.

The only criticism I have about the area is some of the main commercial areas have too much litter due to insufficient trashcans and foot traffic from all the restaurants and bars on them. You will be away from that in a quieter residential area.

Also you are not far from a nice quiet section of East Elmhurst near the Astoria - right after Hazen Ave on 23rd there are a few shops wioth the best being Kesso Foods a family-owned. traditional, homemade yogurt shop with a few other greek take-out foods.

If you want to read more I wrote one very LONG entry on Astoria called Astoria 2013. A bit of a heavy read but it may help. Welcome to Queens!

Old 07-22-2013, 08:31 PM

Thank you all very much, it is sounding better and better. Yes, Astoria I will go to Astoria 2013 and read more - wonderful hearing all good stuff!

Old 07-22-2013, 08:41 PM

10,638 posts, read 20,778,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post
I'll add the area is quite safe and to take the M60. I am not sure if you can say the M60 is frequent -0 at certain times of the day it is but other times it can take up 20 minutes for a bus to come by. But M60 is the fastest way to Morningside Heights.

If the M60 service bus is interrupted there are a few other options - Q101 to Midtown East. For you just take it to the Steinway Street stop in Queens. Best to take for morning commute, return commute will be a bear as the Q101 encounters traffic and double parking in the evening on Steinway Street. Another option is to take the Q19 on Astoria Blvd to Queens Plaza and grab an E or F. Both of these ways most likely will have a longer commute time.

The closest Park is Astoria Park and it is a very good park with fireworks and live orchestra around July 4th week, free concerts in the summer.

Steinway street though not high-end does offer some affordable options for clothes and housewares with a GAP, Bennetton, and Dr Jay's. Some small shops I recommend on Steinway are ZigZag for basic clothes and Fantasy for housewares. Near the end of Steinway on 35th Ave is a 14 theater multiplex and nearby family restaurants as well as some trendier ones and a great museum.

The only criticism I have about the area is some of the main commercial areas have too much litter due to insufficient trashcans and foot traffic from all the restaurants and bars on them. You will be away from that in a quieter residential area.

Also you are not far from a nice quiet section of East Elmhurst near the Astoria - right after Hazen Ave on 23rd there are a few shops wioth the best being Kesso Foods a family-owned. traditional, homemade yogurt shop with a few other greek take-out foods.

If you want to read more I wrote one very LONG entry on Astoria called Astoria 2013. A bit of a heavy read but it may help. Welcome to Queens!
Why can't I find 24th Ave and 41st St on a map? It looks like those two streets don't intersect. I did find 24th ST and 41st AVE on a map of Astoria, but it's in a very different location than the first intersection would be (if I could find it).

Old 07-22-2013, 08:53 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,830,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Why can't I find 24th Ave and 41st St on a map? It looks like those two streets don't intersect. I did find 24th ST and 41st AVE on a map of Astoria, but it's in a very different location than the first intersection would be (if I could find it).

You're right they don't intersect. OP either means 23rd Ave or 24th and some other street. Or like you said, 24th St and 41st Ave. Which they probably don't wanna live.

Last edited by availableusername; 07-22-2013 at 09:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City