U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:38 AM

1,470 posts, read 1,387,232 times

Advertisements

:bangs head off desk: You have to be trolling, you just have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 10:39 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,893,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
:bangs head off desk: You have to be trolling, you just have to.
Nope. Just telling the ugly truth.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:52 AM

59 posts, read 40,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Well of course Riverdale has crime and guess where just about all of it comes from? Hooligans from down the hill in the Bronx that come up the hill looking to steal our cars, rob our residents or cause other problems. All I have to look at are the smashed out car windows I've seen of late and the young Korean male who was killed by some thug from down the hill in the Bronx for an iPhone.

Fieldston is an upper middle class community with plenty of mansions and Riverdale doesn't fit the bill for a lot of things, so you can't go off of the "norm".
Oh shoot.O_O I don't even see that in these parts. So your assuming your area is better than mine? It's not all places have their downsides.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:34 AM

5,682 posts, read 5,158,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
HA! Keep dreaming. Technically is one thing, but Bronxites know that we really don't associate with the Bronx in any way, shape or form.

Let's see...

Riverdale=Upper middle class neighborhood
Bronx=Poor; some of the poorest neighborhoods in US

Riverdale=Low unemployment
Bronx=Highest unemployment of all five boroughs

Riverdale=Some of the lowest crime rates in all of NYC
Bronx=High crime rate

I could go on but there's a clear pattern here. The Bronx is the complete opposite of Riverdale and it's understandable why we in Riverdale don't want to be associated with it.

We have the most mansions in all of New York City and they all go for MILLIONS, so surely we could afford to live in Westchester if we so chose to. It's more about Riverdale's proximity to Manhattan and wanting a mix of city life nearby but also wanting a suburban more tranquil setting. Riverdale offers both and is unique in that regard.
*Points finger at Grosvenor and says you live in the BRONX. You live in the BRONX. Nanaabooboo. You live in the BRONX!!!

Old 08-09-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
*Points finger at Grosvenor and says you live in the BRONX. You live in the BRONX. Nanaabooboo. You live in the BRONX!!!
HA! If only it was so easy.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:59 AM

530 posts, read 1,014,382 times
I don't see what difference it makes where you live.

It's all just invisible lines that determine what county, city, neighborhood, state, school district, voting district you live in..

Old 08-09-2013, 02:08 PM

559 posts, read 751,950 times
I don't know why you all keep feeding him. He seems to thrive on the need to deny that riverdale is indeed part of The Bronx. You are all better off just ignoring it.

As for the OP's original topic, I believe most of The Bronx is working to middle class. While there may be a disproportionate amount of poor here compared to the other boroughs, I think it is short sighted to say that it is the poorest borough and simply leave it at that. The flip side to that is that has the highest level of affordable housing.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
As for the OP's original topic, I believe most of The Bronx is working to middle class. While there may be a disproportionate amount of poor here compared to the other boroughs, I think it is short sighted to say that it is the poorest borough and simply leave it at that. The flip side to that is that has the highest level of affordable housing.
HA! And what leads you to believe that fallacy?? I find it rather amusing that you think it's a positive that the borough has the highest level of "affordable housing", most of which are housing projects. It's this type of mentality that Bronxites have that explains why the borough is so beset with decay and high unemployment.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:28 PM

530 posts, read 1,014,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
I don't know why you all keep feeding him. He seems to thrive on the need to deny that riverdale is indeed part of The Bronx. You are all better off just ignoring it.

I would say that the Bronx is mainly Poor to Working Poor

The MEDIAN household income of the Bronx is $34,744 which *essentially* means that AT LEAST half of the Bronx is poor. 28.5% of Bronx families OFFICIALLY live under the poverty line but then you have to factor in the large working poor of the Bronx and then it paints a clearer picture. For those that don't know, the "Working Poor" are those who barely are above the poverty line but not enough to have anything resembling financial stability; these people are ON THE EDGE. Most working single mother-ran households fall under this category.

How do you define "middle class"?

- Many people would agree that a family in the NYC area would need a household income to be considered:
- Middle class is at least $75k
- Working class is $50k-75k.
- Working poor is 31k-50k.
- The poverty line for a family in NYC is 31k so under 31k is straight up poor.

Bronx socieconomic data- Bronx County (Bronx Borough) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Poverty line data- http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/22/ny...erty.html?_r=0

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 08-09-2013 at 02:37 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I would say that the Bronx is mainly Poor to Working Poor

The MEDIAN household income of the Bronx is $34,744 which *essentially* means that AT LEAST half of the Bronx is poor. 28.5% of Bronx families OFFICIALLY live under the poverty line but then you have to factor in the large working poor of the Bronx and then it paints a clearer picture. For those that don't know, the "Working Poor" are those who barely are above the poverty line but not enough to have anything resembling financial stability; these people are ON THE EDGE. Most working single mother-ran households fall under this category.

How do you define "middle class"?

- Many people would agree that a family in the NYC area would need a household income to be considered:
- Middle class is at least $75k
- Working class is $50k-75k.
- Working poor is 31k-50k.
- The poverty line for a family in NYC is 31k so under 31k is straight up poor.

Bronx socieconomic data- Bronx County (Bronx Borough) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Poverty line data- http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/22/ny...erty.html?_r=0
$34,744 for a family??? Mercy. I think I almost made that one year while I was a college student (about $31,000 or so), working part of the year and finishing my BA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or